Will a jeep eventually shutdown when a key is not detected? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Will a jeep eventually shutdown when a key is not detected?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
kayoticworld
2012 WK 

Will a jeep eventually shutdown when a key is not detected?

Just out of curiosity........will my jeep eventually shut itself down without a key beind detected? I hate to say this.......but lets say in the event of a carjacking or even if you wanted to let the valet take your car without giving them the key? Would the system shutdown after going so far or is it pretty much active and making that annoying key not detected noise until you shut it down yourself? I realize all Chrysler products pretty much use the same Keyless and go technology but since I have a wk2 I figured I'd ask here.

Unread 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Probably keep running till it runs out of gas!
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
nyrhockey23

Do not believe they shut down on its own. Reason i say this is because when we were at the dealership buying our JGC the salesman was telling us how a customer went for a test drive and left without the key and they said to him "make sure you don't turn it off or it won't start again", but could all be BS.
nyrhockey23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
gdash722
2013 WK 

From a logical standpoint, I don't think the Jeep will shut off until the vehicle runs out of gas or it is manually turned off. My reason for thinking this is because you wouldn't want a stolen car driving down the interstate at 80 mph and then just go dead. Lots of problems with that.
gdash722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
kayoticworld
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdash722 View Post
From a logical standpoint, I don't think the Jeep will shut off until the vehicle runs out of gas or it is manually turned off. My reason for thinking this is because you wouldn't want a stolen car driving down the interstate at 80 mph and then just go dead. Lots of problems with that.
I didn't think about is from that standpoint........that makes a lot of sense. The only reason I ever thought this was possible because I remember hearing a horror story when Toyota was having problems with their Priuses speeding up on their own, that someone had to throw their key out the window to get the car to stop. Now that I tried to look that up, I can't find it. Guess it was just an urban legend.......
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree it won't shut down, because eventually fobs will all run out of battery power, tripping a 'key not detected' possibly while driving. A forced shutdown under this scenario would be a big problem.
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
WvTaco
2011 WK 

My wife left ours running for 3 hours. Didn't shut down, key was with her.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
zr2s10
2012 WK 

It will not shut down. BUT, it will not restart without the key. The reminder is there, because you may have two people in the car, but only one key. If you think you have your key with you, but do not, and you drop the other person (with the key) off somewhere, then you get the warning. It's to let you know that you need to get the key from the person that just got out, or you need to drive to where your key is before stopping anywhere else. Since you never have to take the key out of your pocket with keyless entry and start, it's easy to forget your passenger may be the only one with a key, lol. I hear GMs setup is the same way, not sure of other OEMs.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Muzzy73
2013 WK 

My brother who is car loan sales head at a bank took my car for test drive. After he left, about 15 minutes later I realised the fob was with me. Thinking that he engine will shut down after the car and fob are some distance apart I called to check on him. He was about 10 km away by then. When I told him the car may shut down he responded that until he does not shut down it wont stop. He knew this from personal experience in dealing with cars daily. He came back after a good 30 minutes drive.

So it wont shut down till it is manually powered off or it runs out of gas or some other issue. But not because of the key.
Muzzy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Just don't park it in your garage with the door shut and forget to turn it off.
Unread 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
it_felt_so_good

It will eventually shut down after it runs out of gas. It will not shut down if it doesn't detect the key fob. This goes the same for all of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep push-to-start vehicles. But it cannot be restarted without the key fob present.

2015 WK2
it_felt_so_good is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Gecko426

Something to remember if you use the remote start to warm it up. If somebody is wiling to replace a window you running vehicle is an attractive target.
Gecko426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko426 View Post
Something to remember if you use the remote start to warm it up. If somebody is wiling to replace a window you running vehicle is an attractive target.
But you can't put it into gear to drive it until you have the key fob and you hit the start button and I thought it would shut down after maybe 15 minutes when started with the remote start.
Unread 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Blue14limited
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
But you can't put it into gear to drive it until you have the key fob and you hit the start button and I thought it would shut down after maybe 15 minutes when started with the remote start.
True. As in my 2014 the speedo display says remote start active, push start button, and if it did not recognize key there, it would shut down once brake is applied to shift out of park.
Blue14limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
TJSport97
2014 WK 

I've had this system in my Corvette for 10 years. The car will run but will not restart when shut off. Always make sure the driver is holding the fob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.