Wife wants a grand cherokee..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wife wants a grand cherokee.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wife wants a grand cherokee.....

Hey everyone I mostly frequent the TJ forums as that is what I drive....but the wife lately has been hinting at selling her current grand am and buying a grand cherokee....found a 2012 with rather low miles (7,000 to be exact) my question is any real problems with these jeeps that I should know about prior to test driving one...ie what should i look for besides the standard leaks etc....it doesn't have 4 wheel drive which i'm ok with because that's why we have the TJ.....but it is a V8....but i'm a little confused because after reading the FAQ it says the v8 is a hemi but I think this is just a standard v8...it is an overland....any input would be appreciated....sorry for the long post!

clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Only 2 engine options, Pentastar v6 or Hemi v8.

Nothing really to worry about, as it should still be under warranty if it is a 2012.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Only 2 engine options, Pentastar v6 or Hemi v8.

Nothing really to worry about, as it should still be under warranty if it is a 2012.
yes it's still under warranty...was just wondering if there was anything electronically that had problems ie: gps display, or rearview camera etc...
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
nyrhockey23

Have had our '12 Laredo for 15mths and currently 19K on the odo. Only electrical problem is the auto light sensor doesn't always work at night but it's very random.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

well that's good to hear thanks for the input....i know that the jeep will be under factory warranty but for 2012 what was the standard factory warranty? i believe i read somewhere on here 5 year 100,000 miles but wasn't sure...
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
EmileN
2011 WK 

The full bumper to bumper is only 3yr/36Kmi, but certified preowned gets you 7yr/100Kmi for Powertrain only warranty. If you want to extend the bumper to bumper, you can buy a Chrysler extended warranty. I just picked up a CPO grand Cherokee and got an Unlimited full warranty. It's relatively cheap for piece of mind.
EmileN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilen View Post
the full bumper to bumper is only 3yr/36kmi, but certified preowned gets you 7yr/100kmi for powertrain only warranty. If you want to extend the bumper to bumper, you can buy a chrysler extended warranty. I just picked up a cpo grand cherokee and got an unlimited full warranty. It's relatively cheap for piece of mind.
cpo?
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
cpo?
Certified pre-owned
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
Certified pre-owned
ahh gotcha sorry
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
NCJeepGC
2012 WK 

Cant comment much on longevity, as I have only had mine for a month now. I too bought a 2012 with low miles (8300) and have not regretted it one bit! Thought I would miss my Ram more than I do, but have not one time second guessed it. If you test drive it, might as well bring your checkbook, cause you gonna buy it.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

I have a 2012 JGC Limited (V6 not V8) and currently have 13,000 miles on it. The only thing I have done is oil changes. The vehicle has been very solid.

I hope to keep it a long time and have the Maxcare Unlimited service contract, just in case something goes wrong.
newtoncd8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
I have a 2012 JGC Limited (V6 not V8) and currently have 13,000 miles on it. The only thing I have done is oil changes. The vehicle has been very solid.

I hope to keep it a long time and have the Maxcare Unlimited service contract, just in case something goes wrong.
if I opt for the lifetime powertrain warranty does all maintenance (oil changes etc) need to be done by the dealer in order for the warranty to stay valid?
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
eibyer

I believe from previous discussions that you're not required to have the dealer do the maintenance but you will have to keep detailed records. If you're not the type of person that do that all the time, it may be more of a hassle. Some like to do their own stuff so, it's really up to you.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
I believe from previous discussions that you're not required to have the dealer do the maintenance but you will have to keep detailed records. If you're not the type of person that do that all the time, it may be more of a hassle. Some like to do their own stuff so, it's really up to you.
I see thanks for your help! I'll have to look into that when we're in there with the dealer......any other input would be greatly appreciated...
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
WvTaco
2011 WK 

had a heated seat stop working after 10 minutes, replaced under warranty and a issue with a vacuum leak in my gas filler tube.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.