Wife looking at 2015 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wife looking at 2015 Overland

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
MDSledHead

Wife looking at 2015 Overland

My wife is in love with the GC Overland (4x4 V6)... I'm good with it, but would like to see a bit better mileage and power. I read where the direct injection was supposed to come out late 2015... i'm assuming this would be on the 2016 model year? I'm also assuming that the mpg would be higher as would the HP figures.

Anyone know for sure whether Chrysler is going to do that? If so, we will wait and order a 2016. I was able to order my 2014 Ram Crew Cab in August of 2013 - it was delivered in late September.

MDSledHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The V6 diesel will get you mileage and power now.... you can spend a lot of cash for 1 or 2 mpg better mileage, more than the fuels $$ savings. Now if you want to conserve fuel at any cost to save the environment, thats a different story. If you just want power, get the V8.

Historically folks have more often been disappointed with the wait for technology. Not sure if you want to deal with the first samples of direct injection. You may want to wait a year for them to sort out infancy problems.

So think about buying or leasing your 2015 now, deal with it for 2-3 years. If you don't like it, look at the real options available at that time. There will always be something better two years down the road.

Jeep sometimes starts selling the next model year the previous January, sometimes they don't start selling them until Feb or March of the current year. Predicting when Y2016 will be available is like rolling the dice, may not be until April 2016. No that I'm that tuned in, but I have not heard when the plan to switch over the production line from 2015 to 2016.
Unread 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

The last I saw on the Pentastar site was late 2015 so that would be MY2016
lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You have a Ram, which I'm assuming has a V8. Why does your wife need more power than the V6?

You can spend a little more money for the V8 and get more power/worse economy. Or spend a lot more money and get the Diesel with more power/better economy. Or just get the V6 which is perfectly fine for the wife (unless she is a gearhead and power hungry as well).

PS: I'm a gearhead obsessed with horsepower and I really wanted the SRT or at least the diesel, but I settled on the V6 which is perfectly fine as an SUV DD.
Unread 04-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
MDSledHead

The diesel is not even a consideration... total waste of money. By the time you pay the xtra for the engine, then calculate how much more diesel costs in my area, you break even at 100,000 miles. Diesel is (at times) 90 cents/gallon more.
My ram has the 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 rears... endless power. She gets pulled over enough now in a 4 cyl Camry.
I guess I was just looking to get 3-4 mpg better with the V6 (which is what 20% increase in mpg would be) - btw I read this on the pentastar site. She's getting 25-26 with the Camry (lead foot + mountains = poor mpg). If she can do 20 mpg with the Jeep 4x4, I would be happy. But we typically get closer to the city figures just because we're in the mtns.
Unread 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
MDSledHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The V6 diesel will get you mileage and power now.... you can spend a lot of cash for 1 or 2 mpg better mileage, more than the fuels $$ savings. Now if you want to conserve fuel at any cost to save the environment, thats a different story. If you just want power, get the V8.

Historically folks have more often been disappointed with the wait for technology. Not sure if you want to deal with the first samples of direct injection. You may want to wait a year for them to sort out infancy problems.

So think about buying or leasing your 2015 now, deal with it for 2-3 years. If you don't like it, look at the real options available at that time. There will always be something better two years down the road.

Jeep sometimes starts selling the next model year the previous January, sometimes they don't start selling them until Feb or March of the current year. Predicting when Y2016 will be available is like rolling the dice, may not be until April 2016. No that I'm that tuned in, but I have not heard when the plan to switch over the production line from 2015 to 2016.
That worries me more than anything.

Leasing is out... she has 217,000 miles on the 2007 Camry.
Unread 04-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #7
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSledHead View Post
But we typically get closer to the city figures just because we're in the mtns.
We're averaging around 17 mpg overall with the V8 in the NC High Country (avg. 4000-5000').
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #8
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Current information around MY16, which is a "minor" refresh, is production starting in very late 2015 with deliveries first calendar quarter 2016. MY16 and MY17 are the last two model years for the current platform in the planning that's available to-date.

New engine configurations have not been confirmed...it's still speculation.
Unread 04-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Ampt
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSledHead View Post
I guess I was just looking to get 3-4 mpg better with the V6 (which is what 20% increase in mpg would be) - btw I read this on the pentastar site. She's getting 25-26 with the Camry (lead foot + mountains = poor mpg). If she can do 20 mpg with the Jeep 4x4, I would be happy. But we typically get closer to the city figures just because we're in the mtns.
Lol, if she's getting 25-26 in a CAMRY, you're out of your mind to think she's going to see anything close to 20 in the Jeep GC without the diesel.
Ampt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
i20sailor
2014 WK 

I'm not aware of any DI engines at Chrysler in MY16 (except for imported 1.8l). MY17 might see a 4cyl GTDI, most probably not for GC. 3.6l Pentastar will be around for a while and no plans for DI. HEMI will most probably be replaced by a GTDI V6 in MY18 or later.
i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
hemispin
2014 WK 

From what I've read, direct injection provides the best gains in boosted applications. The fuel cools the intake charge in this case, resulting in better power and efficiency. The gains on a naturally aspirated engine are only 1-3% or so.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
MDSledHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampt View Post
Lol, if she's getting 25-26 in a CAMRY, you're out of your mind to think she's going to see anything close to 20 in the Jeep GC without the diesel.
OMG the truth hurts... you're 100% right. She hates the size of my truck, but absolutely loves the Hemi. Maybe she should just get that in a GC? Probably get 15 mpg until she looses her license. Then I'd save all kinds of money while she works from home.

All kidding aside, I'm a bit afraid of new tech in an engine. Maybe tried and true is the way to go.
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #13
SouthDakota

2014 WK 

The transmission behind the Hemi is more reliable, as it is not modified by Chrysler at all. The only Fiat/Chrysler part of the transmission behind the Hemi and diesel engines are the programming, the rest of the parts come from Germany. The V6 is a German transmission not originally designed for the power of the Pentastar V6, so Chrysler modified/upgraded it to handle the power.

There are many, many, many V6 owners who are trouble free with their transmissions, but the rate of problems with the V6 transmission vs the V8 transmission seems to be quite in the Hemi's favor. Of course, keep in mind I am biased. My wife is the primary driver of our Hemi GC, but she does keep it in control enough not to get tickets.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 02:36 AM   #14
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDakota View Post
The transmission behind the Hemi is more reliable, as it is not modified by Chrysler at all. The only Fiat/Chrysler part of the transmission behind the Hemi and diesel engines are the programming, the rest of the parts come from Germany. The V6 is a German transmission not originally designed for the power of the Pentastar V6, so Chrysler modified/upgraded it to handle the power.

There are many, many, many V6 owners who are trouble free with their transmissions, but the rate of problems with the V6 transmission vs the V8 transmission seems to be quite in the Hemi's favor. Of course, keep in mind I am biased. My wife is the primary driver of our Hemi GC, but she does keep it in control enough not to get tickets.
What is the sales distribution of 5.7, 3.6, 3.0?
When I was shopping, there were never any 5.7's on any of the dealer lots that I visited so maybe the smaller problems reported were due to smaller sales volume.
lurtonk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
GCBurt

2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtonk View Post
What is the sales distribution of 5.7, 3.6, 3.0?
When I was shopping, there were never any 5.7's on any of the dealer lots that I visited so maybe the smaller problems reported were due to smaller sales volume.
In my area there are six dealerships within 50 miles. I got to try out all three of those engines plus the 6.2 Hemi in the SRT. I don't know precise figures, but they are all selling in this area.

2015 GC Overland, Deep Cherry with Brown/Light Frost interior, 3.0L Diesel, Block Heater, AT, OR2, Nokian Rotiiva shoes, Weather Tech Floor Liners and air deflectors, Mopar mud flaps. JeepEcoDieselFIX
GCBurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.