Who's logged 10K trouble free miles? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Who's logged 10K trouble free miles?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE
4) MPG for hybrids does not include cost of plugging in. Even so for a Hybrid to make sense it should have about a 1,000 cc (1 liter) TD and use the batteries more as a big capacitor for starting and hills. Then a 3,000 lb full sized hybrid would be possible (not even a Prius is under 3,000 lbs)

The Volvo is said to go 35 miles on a charge. My wife works 10 miles from the house. Seems like a no brainier to me ('cept for the boat part of course)

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

10500 miles, two oil changes, no issues. 4x4 shop busted an ABS sensor during the lift install and the stealership replaced it but not Jeep's fault. Love my WK2.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
TooGoodToBeTrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
2) if it meets US pollution requirements and gets about 10 more MPG than a HEMI, please explain how there is more pollution ?
MPG isn't everything; it has to do with how cleanly the engine burns the fuel it's given, and how cleanly a particular fuel is able to be burned. For example you might have a car that runs on coal (ha) that gets 100MPG but that doesn't necessarily mean it's cleaner than a car that runs on gasoline that gets only 25MPG, as coal is a very "dirty" fuel.

Mind you, I haven't researched this in depth, and I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading that while today's diesels are indeed way, way cleaner than those of yesteryear, the exhaust is still more polluting than gasoline exhaust. Again -- could be totally wrong about this. And if I'm not, it could very well be that the increase in efficiency of diesel engines offsets the greater amount of pollution...
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooGoodToBeTrue View Post
MPG may be higher on diesels, however correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they emit more harmful pollutants overall than gasoline powered engines. Again, could be totally wrong about this... on the other hand, I think diesel fuel is safer in a crash due to its higher flash point. But I could be wrong about this also.
The new clean diesel engines are far less harmful. Diesel fuel is cheaper to produce but taxed higher because it is used by trucks which damage the highways. Thus the higher tax on fuel.

I would like to see a lot more clean diesel cars in the US. Our VW gets 44 mpg!
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes diesels throw the more dangerous particulates into the air where gas engines do not. One of the reasons car diesels are so expensive has it takes high tech to reduce the particulates to what someone thinks is an acceptable number, and being a political thing, every government has a different idea what is acceptable (i.e. who gets payed off or not). Diesels have been popular in europe and less developed countries as they can run on a wide variety of crud, where gas engines are temperamental. The added pollution there not being as big an issue as industrial growth. Diesel engines have come a long way the past decade, however.

So it doesn't mater how many mpg a diesel gets in relation to a gas engine, it will still make dangerous particulates.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
padgett
2012 WK 

Didn't think it necessary to say we were comparing only petrolium products at this point. If you just want green then E100 is the way to go and E85 is close. No pollutants atol. If you really want green then bring back external combustion engines.

What bothers me is people (not TooGood) who make blanket statements about things they know very little about. For example if a vehicle meets LEV II SULEV emissions does it really matter what the powerplant is running on ? OTOH if a vehicle says "not for sale in Califonia" then we should wonder.

Note that the LEV standards are for vehicle class and suspect any WK2 would be come under "All PCs, LDTs ≤ 8500 lbs GVWa, & All MDPVs". I would suggest waiiting to see where a diesel ranks before making a blanket statement about pollution, both Mercedes and VW diesels can meet ULEV requirements. There are two different methods for doing this and only one needs bio-byproducts.

Sorry if this has gotten too technical & off topic but warrented more than "That's right, you're wrong".

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCharlie View Post
I would strongly suggest you do NOT get a diesel.

At this point they are diffintly not a common choice.
Dunno of the parts availability in the USA for the diesels, but here across the ocean I would say that probably at least ~75% of the new GCs sold are diesels. With the gas prices and environment taxes on the gas engines (Hemi, mainly) there really is very low interest in gas engines.

Of what I've heard so far over here, people have been mostly happy with their diesel WK2s.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
Wk2downunder
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s

Chrysler owns Jeep, Dodge, Mopar.... Well technically Fiat owns Daimler-Chrysler.

Your Jeep is built by Dodge. Which is built by Chrysler, which is built by Fiat.

Your Jeep is a Fiat.
1. When Chrysler was sold to Fiat the "Daimler" was dropped (part of the Mercedes-Benz group which is why the GC was built on the ML platform)
2. The Fiat group also produce Ferrari , Maserati & Alfa Romeo (as well as Fiat of course!) hence the interior Euro styling on the new 300.

Global cars, part and even model sharing is here to stay, like it or not.
Wk2downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #24
Iamnid
2011 WK 

Been to the dealer about 5 times in 14,000 miles. First time was at 4,000 and was in the shop for a week while they dismantled the pentastar to replace some faulty "phase timers." Everything else has been for non mechanical problems like faulty rubber, leaking tail lights, bubbling chrome on the back, a wheel well that developed hole, a door that had something rattling inside.
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
LS1_DOC
2001 XJ Cherokee 

13423 miles. No issues. Two 1500+ miles trips. Love my wk2.
LS1_DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
2MchFun
2011 WK 

11,000+ Miles, 2 oil changes - only problem was uneven tire wear on fronts. Alignment covered under warranty.
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
steveinaz
2011 WK 

I'm at about 9600 miles, so far I'm very pleased. Excellent vehicle for long road trips.
Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
jno34

18,000 on 2012 V6 Overland and not one issue.
jno34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
77rednecktruck

I have 21K trouble free miles.

Not to say the Jeep is perfect, it is far from it but nothing has broke yet.

I love the guy trying to be green while towing his boat around - that's funny stuff.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
Louisb

14k miles with no issues
Louisb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.