Who's logged 10K trouble free miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Who's logged 10K trouble free miles?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Who's logged 10K trouble free miles?

Curious if anyone has driven 10K + miles without having to visit the dealer for a problem, big or small. I'm getting a diesel WK2 when they become available to tow our boat and I'd like to hear some positive feedback.

Rick

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
txwest
2012 WK 

18k so far on my beauty. No issues.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
MoparCharlie
1995 ZJ 

I would strongly suggest you do NOT get a diesel.

At this point they are diffintly not a common choice.

Thus them parts will be harder to source (longer wait and $$$), not to mention finding a component tech to work on it.

A Hemi will give similar performance and it will be cheaper to buy, maintain and in the future it will be an easier sale.

Gas is cheaper at the pump, cheaper at the time of sale, cheaper when repairs/maint is needed .
MoparCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCharlie View Post
I would strongly suggest you do NOT get a diesel.

At this point they are diffintly not a common choice.

Thus them parts will be harder to source (longer wait and $$$), not to mention finding a component tech to work on it.

A Hemi will give similar performance and it will be cheaper to buy, maintain and in the future it will be an easier sale.

Gas is cheaper at the pump, cheaper at the time of sale, cheaper when repairs/maint is needed .
I understand and appreciate your point but we need something "green". If not for the boat we'd be buying a volvo xc60 electric/hybrid/turbo gas. This engine is currently being tested in the Volvo C30 in Sweden but plans are for the XC60 to hit our shores in 12-15 months have been "hinted" at. Look it up, the mileage/performance is crazy off the charts.
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
TooGoodToBeTrue

MPG may be higher on diesels, however correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they emit more harmful pollutants overall than gasoline powered engines. Again, could be totally wrong about this... on the other hand, I think diesel fuel is safer in a crash due to its higher flash point. But I could be wrong about this also.
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I had 27k trouble free miles. My rear diff seal started to seep fluid at 28k. Was barely noticeable but that's been only issue.
Can any tow vehicle really be considered "green" lol?
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
I understand and appreciate your point but we need something "green". If not for the boat we'd be buying a volvo xc60 electric/hybrid/turbo gas. This engine is currently being tested in the Volvo C30 in Sweden but plans are for the XC60 to hit our shores in 12-15 months have been "hinted" at. Look it up, the mileage/performance is crazy off the charts.
Why do you need something green?
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
A diesel being green? Is that how you justify buying a big new SUV and towing a boat around? Can't you have enough fun riding a bike? Save the Earth man!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
TooGoodToBeTrue

Quote:
Save the Earth man!
Hey, nothing wrong with that at all, it's something that should be respected IMO. After all our air and waterways are quite polluted, and cars are a major source of that pollution. The only time I really have a problem with the "save the earth" mentality (of which I have, to a degree) is when certain people and governments want to force their beliefs on everyone, or punish them in one way or another for not sharing the same beliefs, which ourlee is definitely not doing.
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i have only had one issue heated seat element messed up, but it was like that from day one use it for 10 minutes and it would kick off automatically and not come back on till it was restarted.

green lol

neither of my dailys have emission systems or cats

hell get the diesel, and the warranty.
asking if a dodge product has no problems lol
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
hell get the diesel, and the warranty.
asking if a dodge product has no problems lol
Wait, where does dodge come into play? Jeep is owned by chrysler, and if dodge had anything to do with the car i would think it would be the engine, and even then it would be cummins not dodge.
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
WvTaco
2011 WK 

dodge jeep chrysler mopar same thing.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
Wait, where does dodge come into play? Jeep is owned by chrysler, and if dodge had anything to do with the car i would think it would be the engine, and even then it would be cummins not dodge.
Chrysler owns Jeep, Dodge, Mopar.... Well technically Fiat owns Daimler-Chrysler.

Your Jeep is built by Dodge. Which is built by Chrysler, which is built by Fiat.

Your Jeep is a Fiat.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not digging my green bent, so funny.
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
padgett
2012 WK 

Going on six months and no issues.

There certainly seems to be a lot of mythconceptions here:
1) the 3.0 VM diesel has been around for quite a while just not in the US.
2) if it meets US pollution requirements and gets about 10 more MPG than a HEMI, please explain how there is more pollution ?
3) Vixens like my 86 have run over 250,000 miles with a TD that is only 2.4 liters and pulling 6,300 lbs. I always get over 25 MPG.
4) MPG for hybrids does not include cost of plugging in. Even so for a Hybrid to make sense it should have about a 1,000 cc (1 liter) TD and use the batteries more as a big capacitor for starting and hills. Then a 3,000 lb full sized hybrid would be possible (not even a Prius is under 3,000 lbs)

Not sure just how Americans got so poisoned about diesels though the GM disaster in the '80s had a part. Anyone notice how many gas engines are approaching diesel compression ratios and using modified Atkinson cycles or IMAP control to avoid detonation (requires an elecronic throttle) ? Or is that getting too "techy" ?

Don't get me wrong, my GC is the best vehicle for my needs at this time and is a valuable test bed as well as being technically interesting. I'd just rather have had a diesel.

ps one of the nicest cars I ever had was a FIAT 124 Spyder. Sold it with over 150,000 miles and was still going strong. Just suited me.

One of these is a turbo diesel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.