Where is the radio antenna (am/fm)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Where is the radio antenna (am/fm)?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Where is the radio antenna (am/fm)?

I'm happy that I don't see it but I'm just as curious as to where it is. I know the Sirius antenna is on the back of the roof and that might be the GPS antenna as well.

2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

I believe most new cars nowadays have AM/FM antennae built into the back windshield.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
darkrt
2014 WK 

Its in the mast that comes out of the GPS base.
darkrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
JTS97Z28

Thank god Jeep finally decided to hide the antenna!! Something they have been lacking many many years behind all the rest. I remember my 2008 SRT8 still had the stupid mast antenna coming out the fender. Geez my 11 model year old Lexus ES has the antenna in the window lol :-) Anyway, this is just another thing about the new GC's that I like.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
SPL170db

So what's the antenna that sticks out of the top of the roof? I thought that was the am/fm antenna. Reason I say that is becasue I unscrewed it out because it hits the top of mt garage door when I pull in and out. With it unscrewed the satellite radio seems to work fine, but the regular radio has trouble getting reception.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

The roof antenna is for satellite radio.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 View Post
The roof antenna is for satellite radio.
Yes and no, I'm pretty sure the roof mount is a combination AM/FM, Satellite and possibly GPS antenna. The screw in extension is the AM/FM portion.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
darkrt
2014 WK 

Ok...the roof antenna base is satellite.The mast is the am/fm. The gps is at the front center of the dash board near the windshield.
darkrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrt View Post
Ok...the roof antenna base is satellite.The mast is the am/fm. The gps is at the front center of the dash board near the windshield.
Thank You, that's what I was finding out too.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
thedanno
2011 WK 

Replacement antenna

The factory antenna hits the top of the garage. I need something an inch or two shorter. Anyone have any suggestions? Don't want to put in a short stub and lose the reception which seems pretty good with the factory antenna.

Danno
thedanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
radside
2011 WK 

The original antennas were 10 inches tall. Recently, they have began using another antenna that is only about 8 inhces tall.
radside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you could let the air out of your tires.
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
thedanno
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radside View Post
The original antennas were 10 inches tall. Recently, they have began using another antenna that is only about 8 inhces tall.
I've got the newer one, but it is still a little long. Doesn't make any noise pulling into the garage because of the angle, but pulling out was nerve-racking at first. And no, backing into the garage won't help and there isn't room inside the garage to turn around!
thedanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
hammer1234
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanno View Post
I've got the newer one, but it is still a little long. Doesn't make any noise pulling into the garage because of the angle, but pulling out was nerve-racking at first. And no, backing into the garage won't help and there isn't room inside the garage to turn around!
Do you get any object detection alerts? The DW noticed that this morning pulling out of the garage for the first time. The antenna also gets "jammed" a bit on the garage door when backing out.

We'll have to be careful but I do wonder if we will break it at some point...

Last edited by hammer1234; 03-31-2011 at 07:06 AM..
hammer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
RRER
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanno View Post
The factory antenna hits the top of the garage. I need something an inch or two shorter. Anyone have any suggestions? Don't want to put in a short stub and lose the reception which seems pretty good with the factory antenna.

Danno
You could check out these shark fin antennas - I believe they are now building one to fit the GC.

http://www.visualgarage.com/
RRER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.