Wheel and Tire Thread - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel and Tire Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #286
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

I'm at about 6/32, a little less on one tire, no idea how many miles are left. I really only drive highway but I don't need to find out that I'm out of traction in the snow on the way to our mountain house! Had them through some messy weather last winter and they performed well.

dmaccioc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #287
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

2012 Laredo X with 5.7

I have 30,600 miles on mine and they are in need of replacement as they are down to the wear bars. I always shop at Tire Rack for all replacement tires. The 18" Latitudes are only 36 LBS each so I'm attempting to select tires close to this weight. I have narrowed it down to Latitudes, a few other Michelin selections and the Firestone (wilderness) AT tire. Good luck with your search. The Goodyear's that are standard on the Trailhawks are rated fairly high so I'll compare these as well.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #288
boyvan
2012 WK 

I just got Toyo Observe GSI-5 (265/60R18). Could someone tell me what the correct tire pressure should be on these?

I checked and it said that it should be 33 psi. I think that's too low in normal driving condition especially for JGC. Couple of people have commented that the pressure seems low. Before I had 20s on so I can't rely on Jeep recommendations since they are probably basing it on Forteras.

I will go up on one of the mountains to test these tires soon. Now I am hoping it will snow this year
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #289
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I just got Toyo Observe GSI-5 (265/60R18). Could someone tell me what the correct tire pressure should be on these?

I checked and it said that it should be 33 psi. I think that's too low in normal driving condition especially for JGC. Couple of people have commented that the pressure seems low. Before I had 20s on so I can't rely on Jeep recommendations since they are probably basing it on Forteras.

I will go up on one of the mountains to test these tires soon. Now I am hoping it will snow this year
Whatever it says on the door sticker. Anywhere from 35 to 40 should be fine. The tires are the same size and I'm sure still a standard load rating so the pressure on the door jam still works.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #290
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
and feel comfortable with them on your GC get another set. I would also look at the Toyo Open Country H/Ts and whatever Bridgestone has a competitor to the Latitude. Firestone is owned by Bridgestone.

My local tire shop Radial Tire in Silver Spring, MD has beat Tire racks' prices since 1987 and there out the door price is always cheaper. They are the largest single outlet tire store in the US and one of the few shops in the country that can balance the tires on your vehicle.

Interstate performance and dry and wet weather handling will suffer if you go with the Goodyear ATs that are on the Trailhawk. I would never put Goodyears on any vehicle I own because they are overpriced for the the performance you get and their quality control is awful.
You might be able to say dry performance might suffer but wet performance? The tires have two big grooves running down the tread to evacuate snow, water, and mud from the tread.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #291
loveracing1988

Quote:

Sorry an AT tire cant provide the same level of wet performance on road that a tire like the Latitude does. Its not just two big grooves running down the tread. Your handle is Love racing1988 I assume that is NASCAR racing since those boys and girls dont play in the rain even on road courses. Its not that simple in designing a tire for wet performance on road just throw two big grooves than the middle. More complicated than that on road.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....romSurvey=true

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Latitude+Tour

Better in almost every category, including wet performance, snow performance, and dry performance.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #292
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I'm waiting for the "tire rack review contributors don't have a clue" comment....
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #293
loveracing1988

Quote:
The OP is comfortable and confidant with and likes the Latitudes.

An AT tire is not going to deliver the wet weather on road performance of the Latitude. 2 big grooves doesnt make for a great rain tire. Its a lot more complicated than that.

Suggest you both read up on tire design etc. Start with Carroll Smith's books and go from there.

Never mentioned snow performance of the Latitudes. Neither this tire or an AT is going to be able to match the performance of a winter tire in the snow.

Reviews are fine but hows about a comparison test between the two on a GC. Anyone have braking numbers for 2013 Trailhawk from a test from 60 to 0 which came with a ATs and maybe the same mag also tested a 2011 GC with the Lats for skidpad etc #s.
I just showed you proof that you are wrong and you choose to ignore it, not like it is any different than any other time you have been proven wrong but whatever. Not everyone buys winter tires, I have never needed winter tires and I have driven through more snow than most people in a fwd car, you just have to know how to drive, replacing all season tires with A/T tires is good enough for 90% of the population.

I did try to search for any kind of performance numbers for the trailhawk but didn't find any. To be honest I didn't try too hard because you are just going to argue that response too.

There is a reason that the Latitude's are ranked 8th in their category and the Latitude HP's are ranked 11th out of 17 tires. There is a reason that Jeep puts them on their vehicles, fuel mileage and the fact that maybe 10% of the people who buy these jeeps take them off road. That and I'm sure Michelin gives them a good discount on them.
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #294
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Cool it guys. I think you've agreed to disagree.

Unlike some forums, there is no need to emphasize driver skill here. Not saying I'm a better than the average driver (thanks uncle Pete) but I used to drive my 62 Comet RWD open rear end into snowy mountain hunting camps that all 4x4 guys had to walk into. I did have narrow snow tires (on the rear). The engine compartment often packed with so much dragged in snow that it sometimes shorted out the ignition. Nice highway cruisers, but at the time ford products were the worst for slippery road traction. However, if you know the tricks for snow traction, you could get most anywhere ground clearance allows, but ice... well not so much, it sure helps to have proper equipment... and tire compound and sipes have a lot to do with it. Even in snow, proper equipment makes for less drama. If you avoid driving on ice (without much snow) then AT tires are just dandy.
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #295
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Whatever it says on the door sticker. Anywhere from 35 to 40 should be fine. The tires are the same size and I'm sure still a standard load rating so the pressure on the door jam still works.
Thanks Loveracing. This is my first time I have used another tire size other than what was recommended by the manufacturer. So wasn't sure if I should rely on the door sticker still. But I guess you are right standard rules apply in this case.
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #296
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post

Thanks Loveracing. This is my first time I have used another tire size other than what was recommended by the manufacturer. So wasn't sure if I should rely on the door sticker still. But I guess you are right standard rules apply in this case.
Yeah, you are still using the stock tire size for the 18" wheels though I believe. For a good example as to why you don't go by the tire I have load range e tires on my ram. The sidewall says max load capacity is 80 psi, on a half ton truck I would almost bounce into outer space at that pressure. The door sticker says 43 psi, I keep 50 in there for a little better fuel mileage though.
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #297
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

IF a full size spare tire (265/50r20) will not fit in the lower compartment what are we supposed to do with the full size flat that we had to change? If I'm on a trip I have not room for it in the cargo area.
HT
howardusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #298
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think it fits in the spare tire hole, just higher. The spare cover (cargo floor) would be raised up an inch or so.
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #299
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I think it fits in the spare tire hole, just higher. The spare cover (cargo floor) would be raised up an inch or so.
Umm, I wonder if the styrofoam insert the spare tire is sitting was removed it would lower it enough for the cover to close. Guess I have to find a tire and check it out. Really don't want to take one of my tires off to test it out, but it's something I need to know before I take off on a long trip fully loaded.
Also mine is a 2014 Limited if that makes any difference.

Last edited by howardusa; 11-04-2013 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: correct spelling error
howardusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #300
flexmerc
2014 WK 

Talking

I own a 2014 WK2 4x4 Limited, with the OR2 Package, do these vehicles need to run a 18 inch wheel? I am interested in the Robby Gordon Wheels.

Thanks
flexmerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.