Wheel and Tire Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel and Tire Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Here is the different angle as well as the same picture at each quadralift height.

getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
NewJKon37's

great set up guys! I would love to see some more pictures. Anyone else tried to stuff big tires under a QL. I am just about ready to pull the trigger.
NewJKon37's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
the1jake

275/65/R18 Firestone A/Ts on 18" Mopar black wheels
the1jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #20
eternollie
2011 WK 

Just wondering if anyone one of you guys with the 32"s think that a 33" would fit? Hard to tell from pictures.
eternollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

The tire shop that I used looked into this and it was clear to them that a 33 would not fit. You could probably get by with one if spacers were installed but they advised that a 32 was the safe and sure tire size.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #22
NewJKon37's

If I were you I would try my hardest to stay away from spacers. They never seem to balance right and develop wobbles at random speeds. I would stay as close to stock offset as possible. But I am going to shoehorn the biggest tire possible on there. I am happy to shave the inner fender but I don't want to shave the outer. My WK2 doesn't come in for another couple weeks but when it does I will fill you in.
NewJKon37's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #23
eternollie
2011 WK 

Mines in "D" status. I would love to have the rims and tire sitting here waiting so I could put them on right away. But I'm probably gonna wait so I can take it to a shop and see what we can wedge in there.
Just seeing the post of the AEV GC with 35's on it really has me wanting 35's or at least 33's.

This is gonna be my first JEEP and when I purchased it I was just too excited and not thinkin about aftermarket, thinking it would have alot available. Sad to find out after ordering the Overland with QL that theres not much I can do.
But I do have an idea of a lift for it, just gotta wait till I get it to see if it will work with the Quadralift....fingers are crossed
eternollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

I'm sure eventually there will be a way to crack the QL so that you can leave it in off-road 2 all the time but I'm sure it will void any warranty and wear tires strange. Too bad QL doesn't also correct alignments
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
I'm sure eventually there will be a way to crack the QL so that you can leave it in off-road 2 all the time but I'm sure it will void any warranty and wear tires strange. Too bad QL doesn't also correct alignments
I wouldn't recommend doing this. When in the off-road 2 setting, the QL shocks are very stiff and make for a significantly uncomfortable ride. It's convenient to be able to raise the vehicle up for occasional obstacles, but if anyone is looking for a way to be lifted up on a full-time basis, QL is not the way to go.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #26
khuon
2011 WK 

So just to clarify... Are we saying that 275/65R18 A-Ts will fit without rub with QL even in park height mode? I just picked up my 5.7L Overland with OR-II and QL. I'm not happy with the Michelin Lattitudes. I always ran BFG A-Ts on my ZJ but I can't find a matching size to the stock tires of the WK2. I'd be more than happy to run 275/65R18s instead of the 265/60R18s. No issues with steering stops or wheel mounting? Also, what about the spare? Will a 32" even fit in the spare compartment? My only foreseeable recourse for BFG A-Ts is to go with the 265/65R18s which are pretty close to stock and I presume would be the most conservative course of action.
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #27
the1jake

I have had zero issues with rubbing (even with QL in parking height mode). Remember, as soon as you drive above 5mph, the vehicle will raise from that height. I've had this in Sport mode numerous times after swapping out the tires and have had no issues.

I've inspected to make sure as well as inquiring when I took it in to the dealer for an oil change and tsb updates. Nothing at all. (plus, the dealer remounted these tires on the 18" black wheels and made no mention of potential problems)

Haven't replaced the spare and have no plans to. If something happens, the vehicle won't be run any distance longer than it takes to bring into the nearest place to have the original tire repaired and/or replaced. (unless I'm off-roading, of course)

This is just my experience, others may vary. (my disclaimer)
the1jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
mchassler
2011 WK 

For quick reference I've attached the tire size chart I made when shopping for my next set.

What I don't have listed on this sheet is the spare. Our spares (at least mine) is a 245/60R18 which is only 30.00" in diameter x 9.65" wide.

So, I am wondering how my STOCK tires will fit should I run into a problem. If you remove the bins you may have more flexability in your tire's overall diameter (considering you would be placing a worn tire in the compartment) but I am unsure how much depth there is in the compartment. Our stock tires are nearly 3/4-inch wider.

I do not have the QL system as I wanted a permanent lift (just ordered my 2.5" Lift from Rocky-Road Outfitters) so I cannot comment on the park-mode height.

I already realize that I will loose a lot of functionality in my cargo area after the lift - its good thing they make roof cargo carriers. But I will be able to put delicate snacks & beer in the cargo container during camping trips and I know they wont get crushed

CAUTION... watch the knuckle assembly when placing a wider tire with the stock offest (no wheel spacer). There is maybe 1/2"-5/8" of clearance in the stock setup.
tire-size.jpg  
1998 ZJ, Mopar Crate V8, Custom 9" Lift w/ 35" BFG MTs (sold Dec '08)
mchassler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
khuon
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchassler View Post
For quick reference I've attached the tire size chart I made when shopping for my next set.

What I don't have listed on this sheet is the spare. Our spares (at least mine) is a 245/60R18 which is only 30.00" in diameter x 9.65" wide.

So, I am wondering how my STOCK tires will fit should I run into a problem. If you remove the bins you may have more flexability in your tire's overall diameter (considering you would be placing a worn tire in the compartment) but I am unsure how much depth there is in the compartment. Our stock tires are nearly 3/4-inch wider.
I just took some measurements and there's definitely no way the stocks will fit in the spare compartment. I do have a rooftop tyre carrier from my ZJ that I think will work with the roof rails on the WK2. I didn't normally use it on the ZJ except when offroading because it made the vehicle top-heavy for daily driving and increased wind noise. It did free up a lot of space on the inside because the spare in the ZJ normally sat vertically against the left D-pillar. Of course my ZJ came with a matching full-sized spare on a matching rim.

It sucks that Jeep cheapened out on the spare for WK2. Granted that when I went from the stock tyres (225/70R16) to 245/75R16 on the ZJ, I had to trim the cargo cover but at least that was easy to do. There's no clean way to modify the internal spare holder on the WK2. I'll probably just pop the rooftop tyre carrier on along with a matching spare when I go on extended backcountry/remote offroad trips.

What's the verdict on driving with a smaller spare? I know that with my ZJ which had QT (NV249) and a rear LSD, wonky things would happen if you mixed tyre sizes. Jeep originally sold the ZJs with compact spares but later replaced them with matching spares for QT equipped models because of transfer case problems resulting from people driving on the compacts.
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
JayB

If you take the plastic storage bins out from around the stock spare wheel you can fit up to a 32" tire.
I have a 255/70/18 JK Sahara stock wheel/tire in there and everything fits and the cover closes.
I am guessing that a 275/65/18 will also fit. Same tire diameter, just 0.8" wider.
The main thing to consider is if you want to keep the stock foam jack holder thingy in there as well. If you are running a stock wheel I assume you wouldn't have any issues. Anything with less backspacing and you may run into issues and may have to trim the foam.
Fitting the 275 65 18 will be very close. I'm not positive it will fit, but I think it will.
Once I burn through the 255 70 18 stock bridgestone dueler tires I'm going to go for the 275/65/18. So I'll be able to let you know in oohhhh about 50,000 miles (give me about two years....)
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.