Wheel and Tire Thread - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel and Tire Thread

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #271
tmdonnelly
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post

Any pics?
I tried to upload one, but I'm too dumb.

tmdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #272
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdonnelly View Post
I tried to upload one, but I'm too dumb.
Open a free image hosting site like photobucket (what I use). Drag the images you want into the uploader. After they have uploaded each photo will have a few links depending on where they are going to be posted. Choose "IMG", the link will be copied and post it directly into this box.

You can also upload directly from your computer from below "Attach Files>Upload Images' but you will have to crop the size down. The photobucket method is the easiest (for me).

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #273
tmdonnelly
2011 WK 

img_20130914_143324_180-1-.jpg   img_20130915_164743_120-1-.jpg   img_20130915_164756_618-1-.jpg  
tmdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #274
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nitto NT 421Q*265/50R20XL 111V BSW

I picked up a nail too close to the sidewall to be reparable so I thought this would be an good opportunity to replace the OEM Forteras, not that there was anything wrong with them otherwise. I had over 30,000 miles on them with plenty of tread life left. My set was well balanced and well behaved within a narrow tire pressure range, no complaints.

I wanted a highway cruising tire as I have a set of dedicated snows. There seems to be a wide variety of 275/55R20 tires available, but I wanted to stay with the 265/50 stock size. Folks around here rave about the Nitto Terra Grapplers so I thought I’d give their recently released NT 421Q a try.

Initial impression is that, if anything, they are a tad noisier than the Goodyears. They seem to stick to dry pavement better and seem to be more responsive in turns. They have an XL 2403 lb load rating where the Goodyears had a SL 2150 lb rating so I was expecting some ride harshness. The Nittos seem to soak up small bumps better, however, larger bumps seem about the same. They seem to track very well where the Goodyears had a tendency to wander.

The Nittos look like a decent tire but they are more money than the Goodyears (and the older Nitto 420S) and harder to find. $780 vs $520 a set from Discount tire. They do have a made in America stamp on them. They are not directional but have outside/inside edges. They are also stamped M+S.

I’ll update when I get a few more miles.

Edit: After break in the tires are much quieter, less noise than the OEMs. These stick to dry roads without protest and inspire much confidence, much more than the Forteras. It is a heavy SUV, however. Worth the $240 difference, I dunno yet. By the way, you may notice a tire machine scratch on one of the photos. Tire shop replaced the wheel with a new one, no hassle.

Update: These seem to be the kind of tires that sometimes develop that minor "flat" spot thing after being parked overnight (I think due to rubber compound settling a bit affecting the balance). Takes 3-4 miles driving to smooth out. Very minor, unless thats the kind of thing that annoys you. A passenger would not notice.

Update 11/4: These tires stick to wet roads as well as they do to dry. They do "buzz" a bit between 40-60 mph on wet roads. Just a tad louder than the OEM Goodyears, which didn't have a buzz to them. Not nearly as noisy as the blizzacks or other all seasons tires I've used on other vehicles.

Update 12/13: Just drove in light snow and an icy driveway where others with snow tires had some issue. This tires stick very well to ice and snow, impressed. No tire spin, but I do also have QD.

Update 2/1: Traction does drop off as the snow gets over 3-4 inches and the temperatures plummet bellow 10 degrees. Much better than the OEM Forteras, but no contest for the Blizzaks.
nitto-003.jpg   nitto2-006.jpg   nitto2-005.jpg  
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #275
snwbrdr
2012 WK 

WK2 with JK Sahara Wheels - which Lug Nuts?

Hello everybody from good old Europe

I've just bought a 2012 WK2 with the diesel engine, and would like to use the JK Sahara wheels as winter tires.

But I couldn't find any information about which lug nuts to use. Currently I'm running the factory 20 inch rims, will those nuts fit the Sahara wheels?

Thanks!
Adrian

Last edited by Jackal01; 09-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Yet another wheel question. Moved to one of the wheel and tire threads. Searching is a valuable tool.
snwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #276
snwbrdr
2012 WK 

that was fast, thanks dave!
snwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #277
XJ2WK2
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
The lug nuts from the Sahara wheels.
Isn't the JK still an imperial thread?? The WK2 is metric. I used my stock lugs from my 17's for my Sahara Wheels.
XJ2WK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #278
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The WK2 lugs are longer than JKs too, dunno if it makes enough of a difference to bottom out.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #279
1quick1
2014 WK 

255/75/17's stock Laredo WK2 wheels pics

I decided to make a thread instead of post in the 40 pages of stickies that do not answer this question for those who are wondering.

I had a very difficult time finding if a Wrangler Rubicon JK 255/75/17 BFG KM1 would fit a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo on stock wheels. After searching for 2 days I didn't find a clear answer but what I did find is limited/summit guys have no problem running a 265/65/18 which is the same diameter but .4" wider. My theory was if that fits the Rubi tires will. The tire is .4" wider than stock and 1.6" taller.

So I found a brand new set on Craigslist for $500 and took them to Discount Tire. I told the guy they "wouldn't fit" according to his computer but I wanted them to try anyways. They quoted me 45 minutes so I went next door to the bar and had a beer. They called me and said they fit perfectly.

Went and picked it up and did some testing. Now understand I haven't articulated these at all but I did take them full turn left and right with no rub. I put it on a curb full turn and no rub.

I took it on the highway to do a speedo test and at 60mph on the GPS I'm reading 58-59mph so you will be slightly low. So without further dealt...the pics.

BTW Mods I searched the internet far and wide and it'll probably serve well to leave this thread as it WILL show up on GOOGLE when people search.

Base 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo v6 no QL and QT1.

Before

After

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (current vehicle)
32'' BFG KM's 255/75/17's on stock Laredo wheels
1quick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #280
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nice tires/wheels, good info. I've seen 265/70/17s fit but don't think anyone tried them on your wheels.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #281
1quick1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Nice tires/wheels, good info. I've seen 265/70/17s fit but don't think anyone tried them on your wheels.
Thanks! I'm ecstatic they fit.

The Rubicon's use a 17x7.5" wheel so that's why I figured there wouldn't be an issue with a 17x8.0 Laredo wheel. 265x70x17 is actually .5" taller so I imagine that's a really tight fit.

This should help a lot of people because Rubicon tires are readily available on Craigslist as a lot of owners immediately go bigger.

Just remember though if you pick up the wheels AND tires that changes the game as the Rubi mohab wheel will rub the front rotors and has a different backspace. People have done it though with spacers. (according to this thread)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (current vehicle)
32'' BFG KM's 255/75/17's on stock Laredo wheels
1quick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #282
warrick
2014 WK 

hi new to the forum. heres my 2014 limited on 18x9 mayhem chaos on 275 Kelly safaris
1377015_10151938823340406_1902461799_n.jpg  
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #283
Jcrame00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I picked up a nail too close to the sidewall to be reparable so I thought this would be an good opportunity to replace the OEM Forteras, not that there was anything wrong with them otherwise. I had over 30,000 miles on them with plenty of tread life left. My set was well balanced and well behaved within a narrow tire pressure range, no complaints.

I wanted a highway cruising tire as I have a set of dedicated snows. There seems to be a wide variety of 275/55R20 tires available, but I wanted to stay with the 265/50 stock size. Folks around here rave about the Nitto Terra Grapplers so I thought Id give their recently released NT 421Q a try.

Initial impression is that, if anything, they are a tad noisier than the Goodyears. They seem to stick to dry pavement better and seem to be more responsive in turns. They have an XL 2403 lb load rating where the Goodyears had a SL 2150 lb rating so I was expecting some ride harshness. The Nittos seem to soak up small bumps better, however, larger bumps seem about the same. They seem to track very well where the Goodyears had a tendency to wander.

The Nittos look like a decent tire but they are more money than the Goodyears (and the older Nitto 420S) and harder to find. $780 vs $520 a set from Discount tire. They do have a made in America stamp on them. They are not directional but have outside/inside edges. They are also stamped M+S.

Ill update when I get a few more miles.

Edit: After break in the tires are much quieter, less noise than the OEMs. These stick to dry and wet roads without protest. They are much more confidence inspiring than the Forteras. It is a heavy SUV, however. Worth the $240 difference, I dunno yet. By the way, you may notice a tire machine scratch on one of the photos. Tire shop replaced the wheel with a new one, no hassle.

Update: These seem to be the kind of tires that sometimes develop that minor "flat" spot thing after being parked overnight (I think due to rubber compound settling a bit affecting the balance). Takes 3-4 miles driving to smooth out. Very minor, unless thats the kind of thing that annoys you. A passenger would not notice.
ColdCase - I am shopping for replacement tires with same rim set-up as you. I was glad to came across your post regarding Nitto 421Q. Do you have any updates regarding your experience (in addition to recent updates posted)? Did you consider any other choices. My issue is NTB has sale on in-stock OEMs buy 3 get 1 free ($394). I really want to try Nitto but this price is approx. 50% of Nitto. Are the "pros" enought to make the switch? Thx
Jcrame00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #284
dmaccioc
2011 WK 

Laredo X - time to replace Latitude tires?

Hey all- I'm at 33,500 miles and the Jeep continues to run great (2011 Laredo X V6). Starting to notice the Latitude Tours (18") getting louder, and also a faint pulsing sound beginning. Haven't ever had the tires balanced, but rotated every 8k miles. With winter coming up I was thinking it might be time to replace the tires.

Overall I've been happy with the Michelins - no wet/snow traction problems, generally quiet and hardly any leaks or wear issues. Feeling like they are wearing a bit early, but otherwise pleased.

According to TireRack, it doesn't look like there are many better options out there for a Crossover/SUV All season tire. I drive mostly highway miles, some city, and barely any off road. Continental LX20s are rated higher by consumers, but on 1.5m reported miles vs the Latitude's 7.5m.

Has anyone found something better for quiet ride, great highway traction, and longevity? If not I might just get another set of Tours.

Thanks for any input!
dmaccioc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #285
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I can't help you out, but I have a '13 Laredo X with the same tires & was wondering what kind of mileage I can expect to get out of them before they need replacing. Obviously how one drives will be one of the determining factors, but at I least I can get a ballpark estimate. How much tread do you have left & how many more miles before you think they'll need replacing? Sounds like you may be close now?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.