Wheel and Tire Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel and Tire Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #166
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by skremese View Post
Looking at picking up 5 2013 Wrangler Sahara 18" wheels and putting 265/65/18 Goodyear SilentArmor tires on them. I'll put them on when needed and plan to put the spare in the back too.

I will mostly be doing beach, fireroad and snow here in Northern Cali. No major rock crawling.

I will be on the highway so aero mode should work without rubbing. No real need for park mode.

Will these rub in any of the different QL modes? I've read through the thread and it looks like the answer is No, they should be good. The unknown for me is wheels. I can't find info on the specs: offset, etc for them.

Just looking for some input before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
If you look in the Wheel Encyclopedia thread the OEM 18" wheel is:
18 x 7.5 with a 44.45 offset. I have a set in a shed and that's what's stamped on them. They are or an 07 Wrangler. You can use this info on the calculator on RimsNTires or similar site for figment info.

Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #167
skremese
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
If you look in the Wheel Encyclopedia thread the OEM 18" wheel is:
18 x 7.5 with a 44.45 offset. I have a set in a shed and that's what's stamped on them. They are or an 07 Wrangler. You can use this info on the calculator on RimsNTires or similar site for figment info.
Thanks - after much searching I did finally find the offset. I still had a concern about fitting the HD brakes without touching and it appears it should fit.

I went ahead and bought the five I found on CL - it was a great deal IMHO at $265 for all 5. They are brand new, owner took tires off at 140 miles to put on other rims.

Ok - so I fit them on the WK2 and they fit with barely enough space for the brakes (see pics). Any concerns? Seems really tight but there is no contact.

Next decision is which tire and size. I will probably go with the 265/65/18 because I'm concerned about rubbing on the nut above the wheel and possibly the inside of the wheel wells at full turn with anything bigger. However, these wheels, having a 44.45 offset vs 56.4 should stick out further and not be so close to the suspension components (there is less backspace on the 18s (6") than on the 20s (6.7) - both with 265s). Am I understanding this correctly?

If I went with a 275/65 I'd have more selection in tire but the overall width would go from 10.4" (for 265 tire) to 10.8" (for 275 tire). I'm concerned about rubbing. I read through the tire threads and it looks like some people are fine and others have rubbing.

Anyone with 18x7.5" Wrangler wheels able to comment? I have a '12 Overland V8 with QL so would like to know if there is any rubbing in aero and park mods.

Also looking for recommendations on tires. Leaning towards Goodyear SilentArmors if I go with 265. If I go up to 275 it opens up the field by quite a bit. Any recommendations on tire (mild offroad like fire roads, beach and snow in the winter)?
skremese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #168
skremese
2012 WK 

And now the pics...

Pic five shows a sliver of light from the backside of the wheel (looking from from the front). You can see how tight the brake is inside the wheel.
2013-06-02-10.40.52.jpg   2013-06-02-10.36.05.jpg   2013-06-02-10.40.43.jpg   2013-06-02-10.35.27.jpg   2013-06-02-10.35.51.jpg  

2013-06-02-10.35.57.jpg  
skremese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #169
fastdude007
2012 WK 

Here is something very different

I changed my wheels, bought SRT rims on E-bay, 20X9, changed my tire size to 275/45/20. My 2012 Grand Cherokee handling characteristics improved tremendeosly. Excellent handling on curvy mountain roads. Replaced my Goodyear Fontera's with Coopers HP plus tires and I felt an instant improvement on dry and wet pavement. I really love the change I made

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2065112&type=1
fastdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #170
sac01
2011 WK 

Updated pics

Just wanted to post updated pics of my setup with the RRO leveling kit installed. Leaves plenty of clearance now for my 275/55r20 setup. The tires would barely rub on some big dips in the highway but now no issues at all.
wk2-level-side.jpg   wk2-level-front.jpg  
sac01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #171
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I didn't want to start a new thread so I did a search and found this one. My wife and I just traded our 2010 Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's our 3rd Grand Cherokee, you could say we like them. Anyway, we bought it this past weekend and today, I had the stock tires pulled off and replaced with Duratracs. I love the look but they are loud. They hum, not ridiculous loud but definitely loud. They seem to quiet down as you pick up speed, which is odd, but in the 25-45mph range they definitely hum. The BFG Muds on our 2012 Wrangler are quieter (no joke!). Overall, it doesn't bother me too much and I like the look.

I hope this helps anyone considering the Duratracs.

Last edited by Jackal01; 06-19-2013 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Moved to the Tire and Wheel thread.
Butterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #172
Sean101687
2011 WK 

http://

2011 jeep grand cherokee 2wd with RRO leveling kit and 275/70r18 bf Goodrich all terrain t/a ko
Sean101687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #173
kapps

Off Road Capability of Stock 20" Wheels/Tires

Hi all, first post here. I'm trying to help my parents decide on a JGC for their retirement road trip vehicle. Obviously it'll be on the road most of the time and need to be comfortable so they're looking at the Overland trim. The question comes from the fact that they/we will be using this off road as well. It'll see snow and steep gravel roads in the mountains (but no rock crawling). My dad and I also take a yearly trip up to OBX to do some surfcasting at the point. From reading other posts, it sounds like a few of you have been down that way and know what that sand is like. My parents have decided on the V6 which will come with Quadra-Trac II but are a little stuck on taking the standard 20" wheels that come with the Overland or get the Offroad Adventure II package to get the 18" wheels. The beach sand at OBX will be the main off-roading it sees so the question is how well would the 20" wheels/tires do? Can you air them down without worrying about popping the bead? Do the 18" tires ride more noisy since they are considered an on/off road tire? Any comments would be appreciated!
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #174
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The stock 20s aired will be fine in the sand, just as good as the stock 18s. Many have run them with no issue with beads. Neither stock tire does that well in snow or mud. The 20s are excellent on the highway, however (as long as get ones that balance well).

You may want to replace the rubber in either case with ones better for your needs. Although many more 20s are becoming available, there is a wider choice with 18s. Depending on the tire make and model, the 18s may ride softer than the 20s. You can get very good tires in the 20 inch size, you don't have to go 18s.

Many here run 20s in the summer and 18s fitted with good snows for the winter or aggressive of roading. 18s give your rims just a bit more protection from road rash.

Bottom line, it doesn't make that much difference with OEM rubber. Do what you think best.

By the way, QD will work better than QTII in deep gravel and snow, but you can't get that on the V6.
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #175
jacko15
2014 WK 

I agree with everything ColdCase said above. But in the final analysis it is a matter of personal choice. I opted for the ORAII package and swapped out the tires to a more snow friendly tire. The ORAII tires are Michelin Latitude Tours, which aren't really off-road or deep snow tires. I've done considerable interstate driving with the 18's, and they are quiet and handle well. The skid plates might be helpful protecting the undercarriage on gravel roads. Lots of folks have ended up on either side of this question.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #176
kapps

Thanks guys. If the V6 could have QD, I'd be pushing them to get it but they're not getting the V8 and the diesel is too far out. Getting a second set of tires for off road use is not going to happen either. Like I said, it's mainly going to be used on the highway; I just don't want to get 100 feet out in soft sand and get stuck. I've seen posts by several people on here who have driven out on the OBX beaches, only one on 20's. The deep ruts in the sand make skid plates a useful addition in the ORA II pack. If the sand-worthyness is about the same between the stock tires, how about their highway cruising? Does dropping to 18's make the highway ride mushy?
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #177
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is no significant difference for the every day driver. Many here like the ride of the 18s better, many like the 20s ride better. Many here like the 20s style better, many like the 18s. Test drive a couple WK2s and see what you think. The choice here is mostly subjective as the kind of ride you like is subjective. I chose 20s because I'm 95% of the time on the highway and like the handling and style of larger rims less sidewall... but that's just me.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #178
JKashat
2012 JK Wrangler 

20x9 -12mm offset (4.5" backspacing) wheel

I'm seriously considering getting (on Monday) a 2014 GC, either Overland or Summit. I have a set of wheels I'd like to use.

The specs are as follows:
20x9 -12mm offset (4.5" backspacing) wheel

Would these fit or stick out TOO much?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
JKashat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #179
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skremese View Post
And now the pics...

Pic five shows a sliver of light from the backside of the wheel (looking from from the front). You can see how tight the brake is inside the wheel.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post15497806

I ran the other Wrangler Sahara 18s, no rubbing with 275/65-18, same HD brakes, but I have an older Overland with coils, no quadra-lift.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #180
jeffreybehr
2013 WK 

Wk My new WK2 tires and wheels will be shipped tomorrow...

...from Discount Tire direct.

Five Nitto NT 421Qs, their new premium, high-performance, all-season SUV tire...

...on Black Rino Sabis in 20X9s...

New TP sensors, 'Force' balanced, all hardware, etc. More pics this week.

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 07-21-2013 at 02:00 AM..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.