Wheel and Tire Discussions - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 2394 Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
kfc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Word around the street is Superchips should have something out within a couple months or so.

I would caution you on actual tire choice for 275/65/18. I am not running that tire width. I have heard others on forums running 275/65/18, but one says one tire will work while another will rub slightly. Search more or try it out. I can't remember exactly which thread or forum or who it was running 275/65/18
If you go to the beginning if this thread people running 275/65/18s bfgs and they have responded with pictures, previously only the firestones were confirmed not to rub

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2394 Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2011 View Post
What wheels are you running?
They're the factory 18" stockers off a JK Wrangler Sahara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc01 View Post
If you go to the beginning if this thread people running 275/65/18s bfgs and they have responded with pictures, previously only the firestones were confirmed not to rub
The tire size thing can be misleading from manufacturer to manufacturer. I heard about it lot with the guys running 35's, 37's or 40's that not all tires are created equal. Even though they should be the same size based on the standardized numbers, there were some tires run true to spec, others run small and even fewer were larger. Of course there are sometimes small variables that come into play, but on the whole you'll see variances from one manufacturer to another.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #63 of 2394 Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Just to confuse things further, does anyone know if the Cooper Zeon LTZ LT285/60R18 would fit using the stock 18" wheels? The height is only 31.48in but I'm not sure if the 285 section would rub anywhere.

Otherwise I think I will give either the new Hankook Dynapro's or Cooper AT3's a run - the reviews have been excellent and apparently they are great in the snow as well.

Cheers
Greg

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, rock rails, Cooper AT3's - oh yeah!!
Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
post #64 of 2394 Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
NewJKon37's

I just had to try the 285's myself and yes i concur that they do not fit. I ended up going with the 275/65 18's. I got some very good looking Diamo Wheels. I will post up picks tonight.
post #65 of 2394 Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Were they the 285/60R18 or the 285/65R18 that did not fit?

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, rock rails, Cooper AT3's - oh yeah!!
post #66 of 2394 Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
NewJKon37's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Were they the 285/60R18 or the 285/65R18 that did not fit?
I tired the LT285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. But they did not fit. They would hit in park mode pretty bad when turning. When I would ever use park mode I really don't know. But i didn't want to deal with them rubbing.

I have driven for a day with the LT275/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and have had no rubbing at all. According to the Nitto Website they are about .47" smaller than the 285's that I couldn't get to fit.

I mounted them on some black chrome Diamo 39 Black Chrome Wheels. Off of the car I liked them. But once mounted I was not super happy with them against the black paint. I wish I had bought the Mineral Gray Metallic Jeep. They wouldn't clash so much. But I think I might just powder coat them black to match the Jeep. I do like the offset and look other than the color.

I have had the Nitto Terra Grappler on every truck I have had for the last 5 years and have loved the look of them. However in this size the tire seems to bulge a bit too much. I like the more squared shoulder. But I have always had much bigger wheels than 18's. It might just take some getting used to. Everyone told me to get 20's but I couldn't stand the thought of putting 20's on a Jeep that I would be running through large boulders and driving in Moab.

I think it is better looking than stock. But just not quite there yet. I have removed as much of the chrome as I can. Now I just need to find a way to remove the window chrome, side view mirror chrome, and get the grill painted black to match. But for now I really just to enjoy driving this fun Summit.

Excuse the terrible picture. It has been snowing since I got the car earlier in the week. I will take another picture when the sun finally come out.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
post #67 of 2394 Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 AM
kfc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJKon37's View Post
I tired the LT285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. But they did not fit. They would hit in park mode pretty bad when turning. When I would ever use park mode I really don't know. But i didn't want to deal with them rubbing.

Excuse the terrible picture. It has been snowing since I got the car earlier in the week. I will take another picture when the sun finally come out.
What is the offset of your rim? Does the tire stick side the guard at all?
post #68 of 2394 Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

OK then, so maybe the 285/60R18 might fit after all.
Your GC looks great, but is that a nicely tricked up Challenger next to it?

Cheers
Greg

post #69 of 2394 Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
webspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc01 View Post
What is the offset of your rim? Does the tire stick side the guard at all?
Looks like 18x8 38et maybe from googling the wheel model? I am still planning an 18x8.5 or 9 with around 18-25mm offset for the 285/60/18. That should create plenty of inner fender clearance needed for the width, and the 31.5" height should keep other clearances reasonable.

The rear wheels stock are tucked into the fender by almost 1.5" the front is around 1-1.25" . It will take a significant offset change or width change to get the wheel tire pkg flush or slightly outside of the fender stance.
post #70 of 2394 Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, but I think I may be leaning toward the Yokohama Geolander AT/S tires. I had them once on a Tahoe I owned a couple of years ago and they seemed to do a pretty good job. Besides, they look to be one of the few AT tires you can get in that size that carry an H speed rating to help improve on-road manners while retaining off-road capability. Not that I expect my GC to handle like a slot car, but I ran a similar configuration on my Tahoe and was reasonably impressed with how the ride and handling improved over the stick GY Wrangler AT's that came on it.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else run these?

Of course if I can manage to score a set up JK Sahara take-off's for a reasonable price I may go that route.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #71 of 2394 Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
justhangin
2011 WK 

I'm also trying to decide. I want to find a nice black offroad wheel and possibly fit 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs on them as they come out to 32.1 diameter and 9" width. Anyone else try the Duratrac's yet? I know based on these discussions, the 275/65/18 might possibly rub with QL depending on the tire? Thoughts?
post #72 of 2394 Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 AM
jared57

Chiming back in.... so... I ended up buying 5 of the 18x8" steel wheels on Mopar.com for my Overland with QL. These wheels are the same 18x8" full size spare wheel that comes stock. I think they look great with Mineral Gray Metallic... a little mad max, very serious. I decided on steel wheels because they are durable and if you bend them out in the middle of nowhere, they can be fixed with a hammer. Aluminum will not bend back without significant weakening.

I first did test fit of the Cooper STT - LT275/65R18 (32.32" diameter). These fit fine. Yes, their is only about .5" clearance between the tire and the fender well on the front, but nothing touches in park mode or at max lift. All good.

I ended up going with the Nitto Terra Grapplers as most of my off road adventures will involve SoCal deserts. They are also cheaper and will be just as durable, especially the LT version. I got the LT275/65R18 size (32.01" diameter). They feel a little different than the stock 20's on asphalt, but minor. They are also just as quiet.

The Nitto's barely fit the spare tire well. The with keeps the spare tire hatch from closing all the way, but I can live with it. Also, the center screw that holds the spare down is not long enough to attach now... but again, minor.

Pics below of Cooper STT test fitment, and also of the Nitto's I ended up with for the full set (pics are in reverse order)
Attached Thumbnails
photo (1).JPG   photo (2).JPG   photo (3).JPG   photo (4).JPG   photo (5).JPG  

Last edited by jared57; 04-19-2011 at 12:42 AM.
post #73 of 2394 Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 AM
jared57

more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
photo (6).JPG   photo (7).JPG   photo (8).JPG  
post #74 of 2394 Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
jared57

They are heavier than the stock 20's, by lifting them I guess by about 10-15lbs. The steel wheels are not too heavy, but being that the tires are the LT variant, they are def heavier than the stock tires. The sidewalls are about 3/4" thick!

I have the v6, drives the same as before... for power, I have an STI that I track/race when I feel like going fast. ;-)

As for the plastic bins, does not matter if the are in or out. Tire is just about 1/2" too tall to fit it flush. Not worried about it though. Once it it loaded up, wont make a difference.

And nope, dont need the 18's anymore! These steel wheels were cheap.

Headed to Death Valley next week, gonna go hit some trails. =)
post #75 of 2394 Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
webspoke

285/60/18 tires

285/60/18 Terra Grapplers do fit with these wheels and QL. Vision warrior 375 - 18x8.5 +25 offset. Tightest spot is back of the front wheel well, at almost full steering lock. There is 1/8" to the felt wheelwell liner at normal height, just touches it in park mode.

This widens the stance just over 1" per side (31mm) which really fleshes out the look of the WK2. Will need to drive and force the suspension through more travel to see if there are more rubs.

Side view

Last edited by webspoke; 06-01-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Tags
conversion , headlight , oneighty , vinyl , wrap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.