Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wheel and Tire Discussions

2M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
I like the all-terrains. Same size tires as factory?

Also, I know few people on here are looking to swap thier 20s for 18s and a lot more are looking to swap thier 18s for 20s. I myself am looking to get my hands on some 20s, I'm in Baltimore MD. So if you wanna trade/sell let me know.

#13 ·
What height do you guys have your JGC lifted to in the pictures?

I'm guessing that getoutandplay's camping pic has it lifted to off-road 2. (and that it's an Overland)

Also looking to replace my stock wheels/tires. But can't decide which direction to go, either keep the 20's and slap a set of the Nitto Terra grapplers on or trade out the 20's and use 18" wheels like 2011Hemi has. Both look great!

Could you guys post picture angles to show the width of the tires? (in addition to the side shots) I'm trying to get a good feel of how the vehicle's stance will look. (something like this picture which I really like the look of also) Thanks guys!

#14 ·
What height do you guys have your JGC lifted to in the pictures?

I'm guessing that getoutandplay's camping pic has it lifted to off-road 2. (and that it's an Overland)
Correct, mine is an Overland and it is in the off road 2 height in the camping photo. Here is a rear width pic for now and I will get you another angle like in the photo you posted later today.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Merged Posts

I noticed we havent started an official WK2 tire size thread yet.

I did a search and found some info but if someone could help me out if would be great!

With Quadra lift what tire size other than stock will cause no rubbing issues? I like to run mine in sport mode around town and but want to go with some BF Goodwrench All Terrains or possibly Cooper STs.

265/65R18 - I'm guessing this is probably the best bet for no rubbing.
275/65R18 - This looks like a winner maybe as well.
275/70R18 - Thinking this won't work for QL owners.

Appear to be the best/only options.

Thoughts?

Edited:
I took what mchassler did in post #32 and added a little more information.

The dark gray boxes highlighted are Stock sizes. I only know the stock FULL SIZE SPARE that I can confirm is in my Overland Summit (should be the same in all Overland's).

#18 ·
I think you've covered all of the sizes for 18" wheels. Be aware that the WK2 is so quiet that you will definitely notice more aggressive tires, especially BFG ATs. I didn't think I would mind but mine are starting to get a little annoying and I want to get a set of normal tires with the stock 20" wheels for everyday driving.

#19 ·
275/70R18's won't fit at all with or without QL. I have the 275/65R18's on stock rims and that is about the maximum that will fit without any mods. I don't have QL but I don't think the 275/65R18 would fit with QL in the lowest setting.
I have almost 2000 miles on mine and haven't rubbed once.

#20 ·
So I guess it would follow that 285/50R20's won't work but the 275/55R20's will. I've got my eye on a set of Coopers Zeon LTZ's and they come in both sizes. I had them on my Excursion and really liked them but don't know about the noise issue 'cause a diesel truck makes WAY more racket than my new Overland. I just know the Coopers were quieter than the Nitto A/T's and of course the MT/R's on my F-250. By the way I love this thing, drives like a sports car (relatively), quiet, comfortable, I'm still learning all the gadgets and runs like a scalded cat. Got the never never warranty so I'm in for the duration. It's not quite the Cayenne but cost 15-20k less and is built in the USA. WK2 GC Overland 5.7

#22 ·
2011 Hemi could you post a few more pics? Maybe from some different angles? What mode is that in? Sport? Auto? How have those tires been? Ive always wanted a set. Does the 275/65/18 fit in the spare well?

I have had off road tires my entire life so the road noise won't bother me much. What does bother me is how terrible the stock tires have been in the snow. I put 100K on my WJ with Cooper STs and never slipped once, first day in the snow with WK2 and I was all over the place.

I highly reccommend the Cooper ST if anyone is on the market for tires, but they dont come in the needed size and I love the look of the all terrain.

MEDIC

#23 ·
I don't have Quadralift so that would be the same a normal mode.

So far they have been great in the snow, but the most we've had at a time was 4". I can't complain about any noise as I can barely hear them. The ride is a little bit stiffer as expected since these are load range "E" tires. I actually like the ride better than the soft mushy car tires. I haven't tried putting one in the spare compartment yet, I'm waiting on getting a matching spare rim. It looks like it will fit into the spare space if I leave the plastic storage bins out that sit around the tire.

#24 ·
Those are great looking tires 2011Hemi. (the BFGs)

But, I went with the Firestone Destination A/Ts. (got a buy 3, get one free from Firestone) I can't hear any difference in interior sound at highway speeds. (this thing is REALLY quiet) Thought I'd hear an increase in interior sound, but it's still clocks in under 60dB (according to the droid app) at 60mph.

Pics taken today.

#25 ·
Thank you for the pics, I think I am going with that tire, but since I have QL I am going to try the 265/65/18 just to be safe, the sport/aero mode drops it -.6" and I just dont think the 275/75/18 will clear 100% of the time.

I will see if they will let me try a 275/75/18 just for kicks and I will let everyone know if they might work with the QL if you want to try it.

Thanks

BP

#29 ·
Have those of you who have gone with a 32" tire noted any power loss?
Went from 20" wheels and haven't noticed any real difference. But... with the 3.6L, the shift points are a bit soft. I've used the manual shift mode often to compensate for the lack of oomph off the line. (until an aftermarket computer programmer comes out and I can change the shift points myself)

#32 ·
My understanding is that 275/60/R18 is the largest that will fit.

#34 ·
I have the ORAII package w/ the 18" painted wheels (not a big fan). Anyone considering sizing down to 17" and trying a 275 70 17 tire? That's about 3mm taller than the 275 65 18.
If someone was going to run a 275 tire, how much do you think an aftermarket wheel that poked out a bit more fit? Say about an extra 1" pushed out.... more likely to rub the fender when suspension is compressed and wheels are turned to lock? Do you think it would be a safe bet to just stay with the 265?

Sounds like stock wheels on the Laredo E Base model are 17x8 with 245 70 17.
Sadly I like the stock 17" wheel more than the 18" painted wheel w/ the ORAII package. And the Michelin Latitudes that come on those wheels... .ugh.... Off-Road? Really Jeep?