wheel corrosion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel corrosion

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
nubby105
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
That is not what the corrosion is from initially. When tire shops put the wheel on the balancer that uses a cone seat that goes in the center bore, they usually just slam the thing in the whole or crank it down so tight that it cracks the finish around the lip and then with the centercap in place covers the damage, then the environment starts to attack the bare aluminum and creaps under the paint and spreads out as you can see. The really good balance machines have a motorized lift the raise the wheel so the tech does not drag and damage the finish around the whole. Then the really good machines, at my BMW dealer anyways, the balancer has a hubcentric adapter and the wheel is held in place by the lug holes just as it is when on the car so nothing touches and painted surface.
Thanks for the insight. Guess I won't be using my local tire shop anymore. (even with the lifetime free rotations)

nubby105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
That is not what the corrosion is from initially. When tire shops put the wheel on the balancer that uses a cone seat that goes in the center bore, they usually just slam the thing in the whole or crank it down so tight that it cracks the finish around the lip and then with the centercap in place covers the damage, then the environment starts to attack the bare aluminum and creaps under the paint and spreads out as you can see. The really good balance machines have a motorized lift the raise the wheel so the tech does not drag and damage the finish around the whole. Then the really good machines, at my BMW dealer anyways, the balancer has a hubcentric adapter and the wheel is held in place by the lug holes just as it is when on the car so nothing touches and painted surface.
The corrosion on mine was not caused by a balancing machine because it happened before I did anything with my wheels. The corrosion is caused by water being trapped behind the cap. The wheels are anodized which is a hard coat to prevent the wheels from corrosion and finish scraches. When I removed the caps a gooey water came out and the entire cavity was corroded. Its a bad wheel design. Since I ground grooves to let the water drain I have had no wheel corrosion problems. I also coated the cavity and the rotor face with never seize to prevent any surface rust on the rotor.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
David1
2014 WK 

Anodizing is not a good finish since it wears off, but there are different grades of anodizing.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
Jughead
2011 WK 

Just noticed this happening on our 2011 limited too. It's not from a tire shop either. Car still has original tires on it and have never been changed. Serviced at dealer only too.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.