wheel corrosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel corrosion

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
peckmv

wheel corrosion

I noticed corrosion of all my wheels at the center around the "jeep" center cover. Took it to the dealer and they got approval to replace all 4 wheels under warranty. Thought it was going to be a battle but they OK'ed it with no pushback. I guess its a known problem.

peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

What year Jeep, and which wheels?
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
kkreit01

I'd be interested in more details as well. I'm guessing they are either polished or chrome? One you get the new wheels, clean and apply a sealant to them regularly.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
classyjeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv
I noticed corrosion of all my wheels at the center around the "jeep" center cover. Took it to the dealer and they got approval to replace all 4 wheels under warranty. Thought it was going to be a battle but they OK'ed it with no pushback. I guess its a known problem.
Yes
What wheels, model and year ?
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
classyjeeper

I've noticed a little blemish on my new 2014 20" wheels and wandered if that's the way they are supposed to look.
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyjeeper View Post
Yes
What wheels, model and year ?
Its the 18'' wheels on a 2012 Overland. The center has a cavity that has no way for water to get out. I plan on removing all the new replaced wheels and grinding a grove on the back so the water can drain. The dealer told me that this was a $1100 warranty hit that Jeep took. You would think that they would have redesigned the wheels by now, but I guess its cheaper to just take the warranty hit.
Unread 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
nubby105
2011 WK 

2011 Limited I have corrosion around the center caps as well
img_20140612_133206.jpg  
nubby105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby105 View Post
2011 Limited I have corrosion around the center caps as well
That's what mine looked like. Since your out of warranty, you could have your wheels repaired and grind grooves in the back to let the water out that causes the corrosion. That would be your cheapest option.
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
That's what mine looked like. Since your out of warranty, you could have your wheels repaired and grind grooves in the back to let the water out that causes the corrosion. That would be your cheapest option.
I think you will find replacement wheels the same or less money than repair.
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
nubby105
2011 WK 

Just got off the phone with the dealer, there is no warranty on the wheels. I did buy the lifetime extended warranty through Mopar and I will be checking my paperwork when I get home.
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
shudog
2012 WK 

I have the same thing on my 2012 but not quite as bad. My Jeep has 40k miles on it though, prob not a warranty claim anymore?
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
nubby105
2011 WK 

Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudog View Post
I have the same thing on my 2012 but not quite as bad. My Jeep has 40k miles on it though, prob not a warranty claim anymore?
That is the worst of them. I hope that I can find something in the extended warranty paperwork that will cover me.
Unread 06-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
shudog
2012 WK 

I bought my 2012 this winter, back in Dec of 2013. 3 of the 4 wheels looked clean, a tiny bit of corrosion on 1 at the center. I cleaned & waxed the wheels religiously this winter thinking it would keep them from getting in the same condition. Wrong
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
nubby105
2011 WK 

No luck with the warranty paperwork. Contacting Jeep customer service now. Can't understand how a cap that holds water in the wheels is not a manufacturer defect...
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
David1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby105 View Post
No luck with the warranty paperwork. Contacting Jeep customer service now. Can't understand how a cap that holds water in the wheels is not a manufacturer defect...
That is not what the corrosion is from initially. When tire shops put the wheel on the balancer that uses a cone seat that goes in the center bore, they usually just slam the thing in the whole or crank it down so tight that it cracks the finish around the lip and then with the centercap in place covers the damage, then the environment starts to attack the bare aluminum and creaps under the paint and spreads out as you can see. The really good balance machines have a motorized lift the raise the wheel so the tech does not drag and damage the finish around the whole. Then the really good machines, at my BMW dealer anyways, the balancer has a hubcentric adapter and the wheel is held in place by the lug holes just as it is when on the car so nothing touches and painted surface.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.