What are you towing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > What are you towing?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
LAYochum
2013 WK 

What are you towing?

So I need some help or rather real world experiences. I have a WK2 with the V6. I want to know from those who tow with the same engine I have what you are towing, the weight of what which is towed, and how well it does in real world situations. Any and all info will be appreciated, thanks.

LAYochum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
mx71
2013 WK 

I don't have my V6 anymore, but I towed a loaded 3500 lb box trailer from Southern California to Idaho with no issues. I monitored the trans. temp. and it didn't really go much over normal.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

I tow a 20' bass boat with a 225HP Mercury outboard and a dual axle trailer. Weight is around 3500 lbs and I have both a 2012 3.6L 4x2 (5 speed transmission) with an aftermarket Curt trailer hitch and a 2014 3.6L 4x4 QT1 (8 speed transmission) with the factory trailer hitch.

On the highway and most flat areas I have no problems with either and I try to keep my speed around 65 mph (AZ). In the hills I do notice the weight a bit but no problems over heating I just spend more time manually down shifting into the gear that suits me best going up/down hills. There is a big difference in overall towing capacity with the 2014 and the 8 speed transmission which is now my primary tow vehicle.

When we bought the 2014 I was determined to et either the diesel or Hemi but actually preferred the way the 3.6L drive with the new 8 speed transmission vs the Hemi/8 speed combo. Diesel isn't out yet but we may just trade in the 2012 for a diesel when it comes in.

Overall if you had to choose between a 2013 and a 2014 3.6L for towing I would hands down recommend the 2014. Seat of the but test feels like there is much more low end torque which I find a big plus when towing.

I may upgrade the brakes to the larger HD brake kit down the road when brake pads need to be prefaced. Only downside is the Laredo 18" rims don't work with the HD brakes so I'll have to upsize the rims to 20's. By then I'll most likely have installed the RRO lift an larger tires (32"-33") to it won't be a big deal by then.
'96 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 NP242 *** SOLD @ 223k miles & still running***
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieTheFish View Post
I tow a 20' bass boat with a 225HP Mercury outboard and a dual axle trailer. Weight is around 3500 lbs and I have both a 2012 3.6L 4x2 (5 speed transmission) with an aftermarket Curt trailer hitch and a 2014 3.6L 4x4 QT1 (8 speed transmission) with the factory trailer hitch.

On the highway and most flat areas I have no problems with either and I try to keep my speed around 65 mph (AZ). In the hills I do notice the weight a bit but no problems over heating I just spend more time manually down shifting into the gear that suits me best going up/down hills. There is a big difference in overall towing capacity with the 2014 and the 8 speed transmission which is now my primary tow vehicle.

When we bought the 2014 I was determined to et either the diesel or Hemi but actually preferred the way the 3.6L drive with the new 8 speed transmission vs the Hemi/8 speed combo. Diesel isn't out yet but we may just trade in the 2012 for a diesel when it comes in.

Overall if you had to choose between a 2013 and a 2014 3.6L for towing I would hands down recommend the 2014. Seat of the but test feels like there is much more low end torque which I find a big plus when towing.

I may upgrade the brakes to the larger HD brake kit down the road when brake pads need to be prefaced. Only downside is the Laredo 18" rims don't work with the HD brakes so I'll have to upsize the rims to 20's. By then I'll most likely have installed the RRO lift an larger tires (32"-33") to it won't be a big deal by then.
If it is the same as the 2013's any 18" wheel will work, the standard Laredo 17" wheel won't clear them but the 18 will.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i tow this, 1800lbs trailer plus two700lbs atvs then add some gear and 4 adults.

does good, can defintaly tell its back there and your not gonna win a race. got out ran by a sedan yaris.

3.6 qt1 4x4 5 speed auto larado x, with oem tow package.

note in the pick my right front is in a dip/ hole. trailer is set up to be level on level ground.

WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

I just finished towing my 21' boat about 200 miles. Total weight is close to 4,000 lbs. Best thing is that I averaged 20 mpg on the freeway keeping my speed between 60 & 65. The V6 toes just fine however it I were doing a lot of towing (often or long distance) I probably would go for the V8. For me I like the 22-24 mpg with the V6 and most of my driving is not towing.
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
bluehorizons
2011 WK 

I've got a 2011 V6 4x4 with the factory tow package. I just finished a trip bringing an older car I am getting restored up through NY & NJ and into PA, including some time in the Catskills Mountains. The JGC did great pulling my 1850lb trailer with the 2800lb car on it - so I was just under the 5k limit. MPGs definitely dropped, but I didn't see any appreciable increase in the transmission temp except when going up the hills or when reversing uphill on driveways. I agree that if you were really towing a lot the Hemi would be better, but it is a no-brainer for me since like others said the MPGs normally on the V6 are more than enough to keep me happy. I tried to keep the speed while towing at 70mph and really didn't have any problems maintaining 60+ even on the hills.

I was pulling a brand new dual axle flatbed trailer with full brakes, so with a brake controller installed I felt safe and it definitely made me feel safer, especially given the weight I was pulling. Wiring harness plugged right in to the port above the parking brake and it everything worked perfectly (tekonsha p3).

Only other piece of advice I'd offer, and will note that I don't have a ton of towing experience, is that I got a quietride hitch which definitely was worth the price. No banging around back there plus a bit more stable feeling.
bluehorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
toymandarrell

I tow a 21 ft Outback travel trailer with rear slide out . No issues pulls great!
toymandarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
bobinbville
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 WK2 with the V-6 gas engine. I pull a 3000 lb dual axle trailer infrequently but when I do it's loaded with three motorcycles to bring the weight up to about 4600 lbs and I take this load to Colorado climbing whatever mountain needed to get me there. My Jeep has the Trailer Tow Group IV package. But it doesn't have a brake controller which my trailer needs. What are my options for trailer braking and will I be asking too much of the Jeep to pull this package?
Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.