What's the difference? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Vroooom
2012 JK Wrangler 

What's the difference?

Howdy all.
I'm still doing my homework on exactly what kind of JGC I want to dream about.

When all this started...I had stumbled upon an SRT in a dealers lot...and that started me researching. Other forum member read my descriptions of my daily drive and said that the SRT was probably NOT what I was looking for. I agreed and my wife picked up the flag on that one...looking to replace her vette.

But anyhow...back to ME.

Then I decided I wanted a Summit....had all the bells and whistles that I wanted, but the chrome really aint my kinda thing....I stated looking at black-out options...and pretty much all sounded way expensive...or way NOT-expensive. Either way, I was not happy with the chrome or with the DIY solutions.

Yeah...I thought about the overland...still kinda thinking about it, but I really like the active noise reduction in the Summit.

Then I started hearing about the Altitude...supposedly somewhere about half-way between the Overland and the Summit....but I think it still lacks the active noise cancellation.

In trying to research the Altitude...I then find out about an Altitude II, and Altitude III, and a High Altitude.

Sheesh...theres like 12 different kinds of JGC and NONE of them are a blacked out summit.

As a quick aside...with the popularity of black-out practices (or rather the unpopularity of bling on a JEEP....I'm more than a little surprised that somebody like rugged ridge hasn't come up with a black retro-kit. The whole shebang in one box.

Anyhow...can some one summarize for me the difference between the Altitudes? And don't say the pricetag...or the need for supplemental oxygen after 30-minutes.

LOL

Happy trails....

Vroom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 08:02 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

See http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Altitude_edi...tm#15_ALTITUDE which describes the 2015 altitudes. Dunno what changes there may be in 2016.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 22 Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 PM
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

I wouldn't put much value in the Chrysler ANC as I read where it hardly makes any difference at all. But it's your decision to make.

2014 Summit 4X4 V8
post #4 of 22 Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Vroooom
2012 JK Wrangler 

I read that it makes a 10db difference at cruise...which would be HUGE.

Naturally...that could be hype.

Fortunately...one of my favorite phone apps is a sound level meter.

Before I drop that kind of money...I will absolutely measure the difference.

In a world that is so numbers oriented...I cannot figure out why a simple db score cannot be added to automotive write-ups.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

If you want the Summit, but less chrome you can order it with the "Platinum/California" package which tones some things down.

Similarly, the new High Altitude (based on the Overland) also reduces or substitutes for chrome.

The current Altitude may not be offered for MY15, so if you want that Laredo-based package, you'll want to buy soon.

Keep in mind that the "blacked out" look actually has a limited audience compared to the sheer number of JGCs that are produced and it's unlikely that you'll see a Summit ever produced from the factory with that look. If you combine the Platinum option with some additional vinyl wrapping, you can get there, however.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #6 of 22 Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM
dhasselbacher
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroooom View Post

In a world that is so numbers oriented...I cannot figure out why a simple db score cannot be added to automotive write-ups.
I've had my 2015 Summit for about 6 weeks now, and IMO the ANC is a huge benefit. I've never driven a vehicle this quiet in my life at any speed. The only noise I ever hear with the windows up is the engine and a little tire feedback, but I never hear any other outside noise from cars, etc.

I would say get the Summit and like Jim_in_PA said, get the Platinum pkg because it tones down the chrome big time. I wanted the Platinum pkg but beggars can't be choosers and my rig sort of fell into my lap, without platinum pkg or my #1 color choice, but I loved it so I jumped on it.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-08-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Vroooom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the feedback and the guidance...now I have yet one more term/package to research. I hadn't previously heard of the "Platinum" pkg.... Ahh...back to the drawing board.

dhasselbacher, if'n I were to ask really REALLY nice-like...would there be any chance you could give me a sound-level check at idle and at 70mph? (Free phone app)

Last edited by Vroooom; 09-08-2015 at 07:57 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-09-2015, 01:20 AM
dhasselbacher
2015 WK 

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback and the guidance...now I have yet one more term/package to research. I hadn't previously heard of the "Platinum" pkg.... Ahh...back to the drawing board.

dhasselbacher, if'n I were to ask really REALLY nice-like...would there be any chance you could give me a sound-level check at idle and at 70mph? (Free phone app)
I would be happy to help. I'll see if I can get the app downloaded and get the readings tomorrow and post the results.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-09-2015, 05:12 PM
dhasselbacher
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselbacher View Post
I would be happy to help. I'll see if I can get the app downloaded and get the readings tomorrow and post the results.
Okay so I downloaded "Sound Meter" from Google Play and here's what I got for the 2 readings. The first image is at idle, windows up, no radio and no a/c. The second is on the freeway going about 70, windows up, no radio and no a/c. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
sound_20150909_152119.jpg   sound_20150909_153924.jpg  
post #10 of 22 Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
dhasselbacher
2015 WK 

Quote:

Check my post at 4:13 PM Pacific time; not sure I replied to you or not but the screen grabs of the sound meter are there.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Blackshirts
2012 WK 

wife has a corvette.

you were looking at an SRT but your "daily drive" not the sticker price turned you off.

and black out options on the summit are "way to expensive"?

Not a bad problem to have. lol
post #12 of 22 Old 09-09-2015, 07:01 PM
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:

Just make sure that phone app is accurate. Many of them are incorrect. But yes, 10db would be some difference.

2014 Summit 4X4 V8
post #13 of 22 Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Vroooom
2012 JK Wrangler 

dhasslebacher, that is extremely helpful. Obviously, the sound levels at 70mph will be hugely effected by environmental variables such as road surface composition and condition, etc. But 71db at cruise is very nice.

53db at idle, though....that's a whole different story....53db is AMAZING!

It is certainly true than none of these "tests" have scientific precision. But at the same time, they are more useful than more subjective observations.

To put 53db into perspective, I'm currently sitting in my completely silent kitchen. My ambient sound level is 39db. the coffee pot heating up 8 feet away causes it to rise to 43db. My keystrokes cause it to spike to 42db. and if I snap my finger 4 feet from my phone, it spikes to 67db.

53db at idle with a hemi-v8 (designed to rumble) is pretty frigg'n awesome. That active noise cancellation feature just inched a little higher on my wish list.

Thank you, dhasslebacher.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM
canistel
2012 WK 

Quote:
To put 53db into perspective, I'm currently sitting in my completely silent kitchen. My ambient sound level is 39db. the coffee pot heating up 8 feet away causes it to rise to 43db. My keystrokes cause it to spike to 42db. and if I snap my finger 4 feet from my phone, it spikes to 67db.

53db at idle with a hemi-v8 (designed to rumble) is pretty frigg'n awesome. That active noise cancellation feature just inched a little higher on my wish list.

Thank you, dhasslebacher.
I think you have the right idea, but your comparisons are a little off You have to sit in a jeep gc without the noise cancellation (at idle and at hyw speed), take your measurements, then use the same device to measure a jeep gc with all the noise cancellation features. You may decide a 1db / 2db / 5 db (whatever it is) difference is not worth the extra money. My base laredeo is pretty quiet already.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Vroooom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
I think you have the right idea, but your comparisons are a little off You have to sit in a jeep gc without the noise cancellation (at idle and at hyw speed), take your measurements, then use the same device to measure a jeep gc with all the noise cancellation features. You may decide a 1db / 2db / 5 db (whatever it is) difference is not worth the extra money. My base laredeo is pretty quiet already.
Precisely my intent
Just as the journey is have the fun on a trip somewhere...the research and decision making is half the fun of new vehicle acquisition.
And since I love my Wrangler so much, I am truly in no hurry to replace it (Been thinking about trying to keep it as out 3rd vehicle...I know...what a first-world problem)
Anyhow...since I am in no hurry....I have all the time in the world to make lots of comparisons.
I go to dealerships, walk the lots, take lots of photos. Salesmen come scampering out to try to sell me something but I make it very clear that I am still in the early research phase, and that I don't want to waste their time since I'm not buying anything yet.
Funny enough....on a couple of occasions I've taught the salesman a thing or two about the JGC and the Wrangler that they didn't know. They are generalists and they have to know just enough about all of the models on their lot to be able to answer the average questions. I have more time to be able to research specifics...and stalk forums...etc.
Anyhow....I have every intent of doing as close to identical comparisons as I can. Well....at least try to get as many as possible before my wife finally gets tired of me doing my Spock impression and saying things like: "Captain, Tri-corder readings indicate an unusual power emanations coming from ...that...direction" (and walking towards the SRT that I always have to visit when I'm at the lot)

My comparison with my kitchen sounds was merely an example of what 53db sounds like.

I would be delighted to discover that the ANC only makes a 1-3db difference.....that would save me quite a bit of money.

I am still torn between the High Altitude, The Summit, and I'm still looking into the Summit-Platinum but I have zero interest in a lite-colored headliner that I keep reading about. I'm a very unimaginative black exterior/black interior kind of guy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.