What to do about my 2013 Overland?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > What to do about my 2013 Overland?!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
WK2BOYEE
2013 WK 

What to do about my 2013 Overland?!

So, I took my 2013 Overland 5.7 into the dealership for just it's second oil change. They finished and I went to get my Jeep but they wanted to wash it for me. The kid runs it thru the car wash while I watch and backs it out. He gets out of my Jeep but apparently leaves it in Drive! I watch in stunned disbelief as he proceeds to run my virtually brand new Overland thru the car wash and into the wall! Result, damage to the front end and drivers side door. Long story short, they offered to fix it for me. However, I'm not crazy about having a repaired Jeep! Opinions? Suggestions?

Tom

WK2BOYEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
mpuzach
2012 WK 

Since the dealer did the damage I'd insist on a new car.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuzach View Post
Since the dealer did the damage I'd insist on a new car.
X2 - Ideally, they should set you up with a new vehicle, or at least a newer vehicle that has approximately the same mileage on it.

Rob
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
WK2BOYEE
2013 WK 

This just happened yesterday. They gave me a freaking minivan for the weekend while they decide what to do with my Jeep. I walked into the GM at the dealership after it happened and asked him if he could find a new 2013 Overland just like mine. When he asked why, I said "because your detailer just ran mine into the wall"! He replied, "You gotta be fu@#ing kidding me"! He then said he'd talk to his father and get back to me Monday. He thanked me for taking it so well and said he'd take care of me. I wanted to think about it for a few days because, to be honest I think I was pretty pissed yesterday and I wanted calm down before making a decision. I feel that I deserve a new GC Overland like mine. I'm not trying to scam my way into a 2014, I want a 2013, just like mine. The thing that sucks about this is I was lucky enough to score a set of Mopar Rock Rails (which are kick ***, btw), new Nitto Terra Grapplers, tinted windows, tow hooks, CAI, etc. I'm sure I can just have the stuff switched over but it looked like he bent the driver side rock rail as well and good luck finding another set! I guess I'm just upset and wanted some input from actual Jeep enthusiasts, to make sure I wasn't being unrealistic with my expectations. Sorry to be long-winded, just venting and my wife is tired of hearing it already!
WK2BOYEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

It was an accident, accidents happen. The dealer was providing a service and caused damages. A routine thing, they have insurance and their only obligation is to put your WK2 through the body shop for repair as it is a used car. It will look like new and you may even get free oil changes for life. If you take it to court, what would a reasonable judge do? Will your insurance company step in? Can you claim emotional distress?

You may get lucky, but may just have to let your emotions settle for awhile and then let it go. The WK2 is a transportation appliance, life is too short to fret about appliances.

Your initial reaction, outburst and complaint to the GM was certainly justified. Lets see what they will do for you.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
shudog
2012 WK 

I wouldn't freak out. It's a small thing, not like it was a high speed collision with frame damage. Give em a chance to get it repaired and inspect the work closely, but it shouldn't be a lingering issue.
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

It happens, unfortunately. I would wait and see what happens. Might be able to score lifetime, free oil changes or other maintenance like others have said. That is what I would ask for, actually.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Can the people who are saying OP should get a brand new vehicle please explain why a dealership should have a different set of rules they have to abide by when dealing with insurance?

This is a normal insurance claim, anything they give you over and above fixing it is their perogative and not required (free oil changes etc..).
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Carange334

Two things I would do...
1. Ask for a New GC. And I mean ASK... "Do you think we can look into getting a new GC the same year and make as mine because this has be very upset." If you demand they will push back. By no means do they have to give you a new vehicle, thats what their insureance is for like stated above. The answer is always "no" untill the question is asked.

2. If they will not give you a new vehicle ask for something else besides the repairs. Like maybe say oil changes for life would be nice for making me go out of my way without my GC for X time period.
Carange334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carange334 View Post
Two things I would do...
1. Ask for a New GC. And I mean ASK... "Do you think we can look into getting a new GC the same year and make as mine because this has be very upset." If you demand they will push back. By no means do they have to give you a new vehicle, thats what their insureance is for like stated above. The answer is always "no" untill the question is asked.

2. If they will not give you a new vehicle ask for something else besides the repairs. Like maybe say oil changes for life would be nice for making me go out of my way without my GC for X time period.
The other thing you could do is ask for a very aggressive trade value on your '13 GC if you like the idea of a '14 and are contemplating an upgrade. Then they can sell your repaired '13 and worry about the repairs
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Even asking for a new GC is ridiculous. There is no logic behind it. The repairs will only be a couple thousand. Or give the customer a brand new vehicle, then still have to repair the other GC and sell that one. Big waste of money on everyones end. Repairs are the most sensible and common sense move on the dealerships end. Now let's say there was structural or frame damage then I can see a new vehicle. Body work is relatively cheap compared to the new-GC route.

Sent from my underground lair.

Unread 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I would only ask for a new GC if they damaged it day of taking delivery or within a week of that, though legally, once you take delivery they likely would only be req'd to repair, not replace
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Dealer should

Depending on the amount of damage dealer should swap it for a new one. They have insurance. Be nice and say it would be in their best interest and would bring them more sales etc.

Value of your GC because of the accident drops. Now the other option you have is draw up a legal binding agreement that they will give you the trade in value of a GC that hasnt suffered accident damage.

If you are having it repaired make sure they use Jeep parts and not made in China knock offs.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Depending on the amount of damage dealer should swap it for a new one. They have insurance. Be nice and say it would be in their best interest and would bring them more sales etc.

Value of your GC because of the accident drops. Now the other option you have is draw up a legal binding agreement that they will give you the trade in value of a GC that hasnt suffered accident damage.

If you are having it repaired make sure they use Jeep parts and not made in China knock offs.
Can you explain why they should be on the hook for more than the OP would normally get in an insurance case not involving the dealership? "They are a dealership" isn't a reason.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

It blows my mind how outrageous it is to want a new vehicle for one with seemingly only body damage. Obviously I have not seen it so the damage could be extensive which could warrant a new one, possibly but from what info is posted...a repair should do it. Even a higher trade in is stupid. Just because the one guy made a relatively minor (again, going off the incident described herein) mistake doesn't mean they (dealership) should pay through the nose regardless of the insurance aspect. It is waste of time and money in the long run.

What would you like to have done if they parked your Jeep next to other and someone else opened their car door and dented your door? New Jeep? Same concept.

Sent from my underground lair.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.