Weathertech or Mopar All Season Mats? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Weathertech or Mopar All Season Mats?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #46
PDX-TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun View Post
Mine fit perfectly and perform as advertised.
So did mine when they were brand new... come back in a year with pics and let us know if you still feel the same way.

ORA2
PDX-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #47
rustyosaurus
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-TJ View Post
Old thread, but thought I'd chime in...

I have Weatherteck mats in my wifes Yukon XL Denali (all three rows plus cargo). It was a $400 investment, and I hate them. The plastic is super hard which ruins the nice interior feel of these expensive automobiles. And the fit is good, but only if they stay in place (which they never do). They are basically plastic trays, and as such they slide around. I have gripes with all front, middle, and cargo areas:

Front: Mats slide around The walls don't stay tight against the carpet so junk can slide down behind the mats. Also, they have warped on the side by the kick panels.

Middle: These mats are deep, which some say is nice in case you spill. But how much are you planning on spilling. The walls of these mats basically create a tripping hazard for small kids. Also, they leave a lot of easly opening for debris to get under there.

Cargo: Again the walls... the mat slides around by an inch or so side-to-side. Then something get's put on top of that wall, pinching it down. Then you can't make the wall sit verticle anymore.

Overall, the mats fit good, but it's worthless if they don't stay in place. And Weathertech are very lightweight (they are light, hard plastic, not heavy rubber like other mats). So when they move (and they will), the walls don't protect anything... worse they become a tripping hazzard or they get bent down anc won't go back.

I have had Weathertech for about 14 months, and they are terrible. I will never buy from them again.

For my WK2 I'm going with OEM slush mats.
How old are these? I have the digital fit Weather Tech mats for my Santa Fe and they look nothing like this. I've had mine for 2 years now and they look the same as when I bought them. Very rigid plastic that comes up a few inches on each side. True, I don't love the plastic, but maybe the sides wouldn't stay as rigid with rubber. The pictures you attached don't seem like they have the rigid plastic sides? Maybe they make them different for different cars . . .
rustyosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #48
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

The Mopar ones came with my WK2. The front seat mats and the cargo mat all fit great with good coverage. The rear sets one fits fine, but I wish they extended further under the seats infront of them. The cargo mat though is excellent. It fits perfectly and looks great.

I think ideally, I'd use the Mopar ones for the front seats and cargo area, but get weathertech or something else for the rear seats. I rarely have people in my back seat though so I'm going to keep the Mopar ones there. I like that they say "Jeep" so they look all official.

I don't see why people are against the Mopar ones in the front seats because of the mat hooks. You'd have to really bring in a ton of water/snow on your shoes and let it sit on the hook area to get much in the way of leakage through that small annulus.
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #49
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Quote:
So did mine when they were brand new... come back in a year with pics and let us know if you still feel the same way.
I used WT floor liners for years in 2 previous trucks - always had great results.
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #50
jno34

Bought the weathertechs for my 2012 Overland on a friends recommendation and love them so far. They fit perfectly and work as advertised.
jno34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #51
skremese
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-TJ

They are the floor liners... The ones Weathertech advertises as laser cut for precision fit.

In reality they are nothing more than hard plastic trays.

I seriously don't understand what all the hype is about. They don't perform as advertised and they look like crap
I have Weathertech mats in an '08 Sienna that have been mostly great. They have protected the carpet and have stayed in place but the van has a flat floor and the way the mats are designed to fit snugly between seats keeps them in place. But, you're right that they are hard. They are also difficult to get clean. They basically seem stained. I power wash them with soap and simple green and can't get them clean.

I've also had weathertechs in a '10 Honda Pilot I sold. Again the fit was good but in this vehicle I had the dam/wall curling problem you mentioned. The Pilots floor pan was not as flat as the Sienna. In the back it definitely was a tripping hazard on the side my 5 year old got in and out of. Since the wall curled all manner of debris (grass, rocks and goldfish!) managed to get under them mats and grind into the floor.

So for the WK2 I decided to go with the Mopar slush mats. I'm ski a lot in the winter in Tahoe so evaluated mats that would (hopefully) keep water off the carpet but also stay in place, look good and feel good. I think the mopars will fit the bill with a bit of carefulness getting into and out of the vehicle. It's true they don't cover all the way to the sill so if you rest wet/muddy shoes on the sill you'll definitely get the carpet. Unfortunately we've had hardly any snow in Tahoe this season so no skiing yet - no rain here in Sacramento either so no inclement weather to try the mats out with. Once I do I can report back.
skremese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #52
AtoZee

I had Weathertech in 3 vehicles. Certainly good, but not great. Have Husky liners in my Ram 3500, fit seems to be better, they're also thicker. Would recommend.
AtoZee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #53
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
The Mopar ... front seat mats and the cargo mat all fit great with good coverage. The rear sets one fits fine, but I wish they extended further under the seats infront of them. The cargo mat though is excellent. It fits perfectly and looks great.
THIS!
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #54
PDX-TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
How old are these? I have the digital fit Weather Tech mats for my Santa Fe and they look nothing like this. I've had mine for 2 years now and they look the same as when I bought them. Very rigid plastic that comes up a few inches on each side. True, I don't love the plastic, but maybe the sides wouldn't stay as rigid with rubber. The pictures you attached don't seem like they have the rigid plastic sides? Maybe they make them different for different cars . . .
We have had them for 14 months. The more I think about the WT junk in our Denali, the more I want to do something about it. I've basically just ignored the issue up until... to face it makes me too upset knowing what they cost.

Maybe it's time to send those pics to WT to see if they'll do anything about it. This will be a test of their service and support. This is where the good companies separate themselves from the bad ones. I'll keep you posted.
ORA2
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #55
rustyosaurus
2012 WK 

I am about to purchase the weathertech digital fit but I saw this note:

Models with Electronic Infotainment System: rear liner will require slight trimming before installation

This note was on the front and back set (doesn't include cargo). What does this refer to?
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #56
rustyosaurus
2012 WK 

Quote:
We have had them for 14 months. The more I think about the WT junk in our Denali, the more I want to do something about it. I've basically just ignored the issue up until... to face it makes me too upset knowing what they cost.

Maybe it's time to send those pics to WT to see if they'll do anything about it. This will be a test of their service and support. This is where the good companies separate themselves from the bad ones. I'll keep you posted.
I just noticed this statement: Backed by a 3-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship

It was on the autoanything.com site but I assume it is from weathertech.
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #57
PDX-TJ

I picked up my JGC Slush mats today at the local stealership. Even at full price $170 they seem like a bargain to me after my Weathertech experience.

They are thick, heavy rubber mats. Unlike the WT liners which are smooth on the underside, the Slush mats have nubs on the underside so they don't slide around at all.

I think they look GREAT too. Check out the fit in the bottom pic!

ORA2
Unread 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #58
PDX-TJ

Quote:
I submitted those pictures to WeatherTech customer service over the weekend. To my complete surprise, I got a call from WeatherTech today. Very impressive response time.

The woman said that she had talked to her manager, and because they only offer a 30 return policy, they could not process a return/refund. However, they were willing to refund 50% of my purchase (less shipping) and said I could keep the mats. So I'm getting $185 back on my credit card.

I would have preferred a 100% refund with me returning the mats. But I'm not one to kick a gift horse in the mouth. So while I'm still not completely satisfied, I'm happier than I was last week when I thouht I had no hope.
ORA2
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #59
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

^Yep that just payed for your mopar mats!
LoneStarJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #60
shmoods
2014 WK 

I have had no problems with my Weathertech they fit perfectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.