Washer Fluid Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Washer Fluid Sensor

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Washer Fluid Sensor

Has anyone experienced an issue with the washer fluid sensor? Mine keeps coming up that it's running low, when it's not. I topped it off, and it came right back on, and comes on every time you start up the Jeep, after a few seconds. Seeing as my B2B warranty just ran out, I'm not about to take it t the dealer.
My guess is the sensor either died or has a loose connection. Seeing as it looks like a pain to get to, I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue and what the problem was.

zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Google: Windshield Washer Fluid fluid light won't go out. Go to the jeep garage link.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

I have the same issue. Looked up as directed seems rain-x causes a lot of the problems. planning to run mine low soon and fill with something other than rain-x to see if that causes it to go away.

"SUBJECT: TECH-TIPS # 14-012 – WINDSHIELD WASHER LIGHT ON AND/OR WASHER LIGHT
WILL NOT GO OUT AFTER ADDING WASHER SOLVENT
Vehicles that use a continuity “electrode” style washer level sensor designed to work with most alcohol
based washer solvents. We have received information that some rain repellant solvents may not register
properly. The rain repellant washer solvents have been found to coat the sensor electrodes with a
residue that will not allow fluid conductivity between the two switch electrodes when they are immersed in
the washer fluid. Some of the rain repellant washer solvents can be any colour, not just orange.
If the customer’s complaint matches the above subject, verify the washer solvent condition and colour. If
the solvent appears contaminated or its condition is unknown, it may be necessary to drain the reservoir,
remove and clean the washer level sensor electrodes with an alcohol based solvent."
JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
planning to run mine low soon and fill with something other than rain-x to see if that causes it to go away.
"
Probably won't go away until you disassemble and clean the electrodes. I don't think the residue will simply rinse off, but I hope I'm wrong. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

It will probably be a few weeks until I get to take things apart to clean it if needed so figure I can use the other fluid I have at home and see how it goes. I'll check back when I get the new stuff in. Also mine is basically on half the time off half the time so I am hoping that it isn't completed coated and there is enough that it can work again and slowly clean off the contacts.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I do run the Rain-X stuff, so that may be my issue. Seems pretty crappy though, as I have ran this fluid in all of my vehicles for over a decade, and not had a problem until now. I've had my Grand Prix for 8 years now, and have run the Rain-X in it since the first time I filled the bottle. Not one issue. I will probably just clean the sensor and go from there.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
I do run the Rain-X stuff, so that may be my issue. Seems pretty crappy though, as I have ran this fluid in all of my vehicles for over a decade, and not had a problem until now. I've had my Grand Prix for 8 years now, and have run the Rain-X in it since the first time I filled the bottle. Not one issue. I will probably just clean the sensor and go from there.

I am going to see if I can find an easy way to access the sensor, then I'll probably just regularly clean it as I do like the rain-x stuff compared to regular.
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
jacko15
2014 WK 

From the FSM:
1.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What's the capacity of the washer fluid container?
howardusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardusa View Post
What's the capacity of the washer fluid container?
Once it truly hits the low level sensor (back when mine worked!), it takes about a gallon to top it off.
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
From the FSM:
Oh oracle of truth, from where do you recommend I obtain an electronic FSM?
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
spinxt

I had the same problem...a new sensor is $5 T the dealer and takes 5 min to install. My old one indeed failed because of Rain-x washer fluid (the orange stuff). It formed a film on the electrodes that prevented the sensor from reading the correct level of fluid.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - Anyone know a good aftermarket fluid to use, or do we have to use Mopar only?
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
JF97
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ovsummit
^^^ - Anyone know a good aftermarket fluid to use, or do we have to use Mopar only?
I use the Meijer purple stuff in a Saturn sky, 2010 grand Cherokee, Audi q5, and 2014 summit and have had no problems.
JF97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - Thanks! Haven't heard of that brand before, but will definitely look into it ...
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.