Warranty worth it? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Warranty worth it?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
So since it's a extended warranty with Chrysler, you can shop around for the best deal & still take the vehicle to your local dealer of choice for warranty work? (as with the basic warranty coverage) Is that how it works?
The extended service contract (which is what they are) comes from Chrysler and is keyed to your VIN...meaning you can get service under your contract at any Chrysler/Jeep dealer you want to, including out of area when you are traveling. For covered parts and labor (nearly everything with MaxCare other than "consumable/wear" parts) you only pay your deductible for each occurrence and for as long as the contract is in force. (based on miles/years) The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what authorized dealer you purchase your contract from so you can absolutely shop for price. That's what I did for sure!

There is one thing that you should note about the "Lifetime" contract vs the versions that are miles/years based and is that the Lifetime contract is NOT transferable if you sell the vehicle. The versions that are limited by years/miles can be transfered one time.

Unread 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #32
TooGoodToBeTrue

I'm considering it too. You do have to wonder though if it's worth it in the end. I don't know how the business works but obviously (?) they're not going to offer the warranty if they lose money on it, in which case you'd think it wouldn't be worth it. But that assumes they're not subsidizing the cost...
TooGoodToBeTrue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #33
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The business works like any insurance business. They take your money and invest it. Overtime they are betting that your initial money and the return on their investments will be more than what they pay out in claims, on the average. A lot of folks make their living estimating the average payout, even more investing.

Like any insurance, if you invest the money smartly, on the average you will be way ahead in cash 10 years from now. But if you are not one of the average and have an expensive repair or two, then you are financially worse off without the insurance.

Rule of thumb is if you can afford the cost of any repair, then put the warranty money in an investment and don't touch it.

I like the 0 deductible, as there is no quibbling or diagnostic charges. Everything is covered regardless short of wear items.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
The extended service contract (which is what they are) comes from Chrysler and is keyed to your VIN...meaning you can get service under your contract at any Chrysler/Jeep dealer you want to, including out of area when you are traveling. For covered parts and labor (nearly everything with MaxCare other than "consumable/wear" parts) you only pay your deductible for each occurrence and for as long as the contract is in force. (based on miles/years) The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what authorized dealer you purchase your contract from so you can absolutely shop for price. That's what I did for sure!

There is one thing that you should note about the "Lifetime" contract vs the versions that are miles/years based and is that the Lifetime contract is NOT transferable if you sell the vehicle. The versions that are limited by years/miles can be transfered one time.
Got it, thanks.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #35
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
I bought mine online through eservicecontracts (unfortunately, they are no longer offering discounted extended service plans); I can take my JGC to any dealer for service.

As a side-note, I tried to get the local dealers to match the $1900 price ($100 deductible) and none would, so I purchased online.

When I log into the my owner section of the Jeep website, it shows the lifetime MaxCare plan I purchased.
Thanks.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #36
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03stage2
hey guys, yesterday we bought a 2011 GC Overland. It still has 10,000 miles of bumper to bumper left and we were offered 7 years 100,000 miles of bumper to bumper for $1900. My question is how reliable are these trucks? I have heard the air ride suspension can get very expensive to fix, is this true? Do you guys think the warranty is worth it?

Thanks for any input!
They are good but still get the warranty
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
They are good but still get the warranty
+1 If you're buying used & plan on keeping it a long time, it's a good insurance policy to have. One major repair without it could easily surpass the cost of the policy.
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
Justal13
2012 WK 

I have owned over 20 cars in the past 40 years. Most of these were purchased new and had 70K to 120K miles at trade-in.

I have never purchased extra-cost extended warranties. There are volumes written on why you should not, but you have all heard that before.

I manage a fleet with over 400 vehicles in it, rotated on a 5-year cycle on average. We purchase almost exclusively from US domestic manufacturers, with some "import".

As a business, I would never pay extra for a warranty extended beyond what the manufacturer provides with the vehicle. Most significant failures occur in the 1st 1 to 3 years. I have never had a significant mechanical failure (engine, transmission, electronic) on any vehicle, that was not covered by the factory warranty or caused by abuse/accident (in which case, you deserve what you get).

People can argue that modern electronics adds to the vehicle complexity and failures. My fleet experience tells me the opposite - vehicles have become more reliable over the past 25 years and improved electronics and manufacturing quality control is the primary reason why. Again, the great majority of electronic failures occur in the 1st 3 years - overwhelmingly in year 1. My fleet records show maintenance cost/mile has dropped almost 50% over the past 10 years.

Do most of you also have zero/low deductible home and auto insurance policies? You have more financial risk exposure there than you do with a major failure on your car. Zero/low insurance deductibles are also a waste of money, but you know that too.

Personally, I will keep the $2000+/- for that lifetime extended warranty in my investment account and take the risk. With all that I have saved by not buying extended warranties on cars, TV's, appliances, etc., I may actually be able to afford to retire some day.

I guess common sense and clean living do pay off sometimes. I am amazed that people will spend $1000 - 2500 on extended warranties, and then nickle & dime using non-OEM maintenance parts. But, if it makes you feel more comfortable - go for it.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I hear what you're saying Justal13 & personally I've never bought a extended contract on anything myself. But frankly, if I were buying a used Jeep after & reading problems cropping up with them on this forum, I'd definitely get it. (again, assuming I was keeping it a long time) I think in this instance it's a gamble worth taking.
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #40
Justal13
2012 WK 

Keep in mind that the reason many people visit a forum is to check on input for issues, and voice complains and problems. So you have a disproportionate number of bad comments in a forum. If you make your decisions based on input from this forum, you will be easily led astray. Take all comments and feedback with a grain of salt. After all, if it is on the Internet - it has to be correct, right?

We have quite a few GC's in our fleet, and overall, have less problems with them than other SUV's. Keep in mind that people tend to beat on fleet cars.

GC's are very popular in the winter, or year-around for longer trips by multiple people. I get positive feedback on them all the time (vs the Ford, GM, Mazda Kia and Hyundai SUV's).

Again, if it makes you feel comfortable and sleep better at night - by all means spend the money for the extended warranty. Every brand, even the premium ones, have lemons from time to time. Perfection does not exist.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
nyrhockey23

i've toyed with the idea of getting an extended warranty and always end up saying "pass". At least where i live, you cannot drive more an 1-2 miles without seeing a GC. It really is incredible how popular they are, and if they are THIS popular i have to assume they are reliable or people just wouldn't buy them, at least not in the quantities you see on the road.

I really don't think it's a clear "yes" or "no" when it comes to warranty, and it's going to vary on the owner.
nyrhockey23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #42
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justal13 View Post
Keep in mind that the reason many people visit a forum is to check on input for issues, and voice complains and problems. So you have a disproportionate number of bad comments in a forum. If you make your decisions based on input from this forum, you will be easily led astray. Take all comments and feedback with a grain of salt. After all, if it is on the Internet - it has to be correct, right?

We have quite a few GC's in our fleet, and overall, have less problems with them than other SUV's. Keep in mind that people tend to beat on fleet cars.

GC's are very popular in the winter, or year-around for longer trips by multiple people. I get positive feedback on them all the time (vs the Ford, GM, Mazda Kia and Hyundai SUV's).

Again, if it makes you feel comfortable and sleep better at night - by all means spend the money for the extended warranty. Every brand, even the premium ones, have lemons from time to time. Perfection does not exist.

Again, I hear what you're saying & I agree. Since I was looking for a new vehicle, I came to this forum to learn more about the GC & get feedback from owners. Frankly, I've never been a big fan of Chrysler products, but I've always liked the looks of the GC & especially the WK2. And I drive SUVs, so the GC was definitely on my list. (actually at the top)
Now I have to say, the more I read about problems here, the more I was having doubts about going with the Jeep. But I did in fact keep a open mind on things, as I knew there must be plenty of happy Jeep owners out there who don't come here. And there's plenty of happy, trouble free owners who do. And I know if you go to any other car forum, you'll see the same thing with threads about problems owners are having. So I kept things in perspective & bottom line, bought a new GC. And so far, so good. No problems (except for the scratch through the paint I found in the hood the day after delivery ) & I'm really glad I went with it. It is a great vehicle.
As I said before, I've never bought extended warranties on anything. I always stayed with reliable brand names that have a good track record (be it tools, vehicles, appliances, electronics, etc) & that's served me well over the years. No need for that extended warranty....waste of money.
However, getting back to the OP in this thread, he's buying a used vehicle that he may or may not know it's past history in terms of maintenance. And he obviously won't know how the car was driven by the past owner. So there is a certain degree of the unknown he's dealing with. So getting back to his?. Is it is worth getting the extended warranty with this used vehicle? In this instance (for me anyway) I think it would be. And it likely goes back to my bias against Chrysler products as a whole. I heard enough horror stories over the years from friends or relatives that always made me steer clear of them. So in my mind, Chrysler never fit in that category of reliabilty I look for. Hopefully this new Jeep will change that. We'll see.
Let's face it, it's a gamble that the OP has to decide on based on a lot of factors that only pertain to him. And as we all know, any time you gamble, some times you win & some times you lose.
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #43
jacko15
2014 WK 

I'll be ordering a '14 Overland soon, and probably a MaxCare Lifetime Warranty from one of the official sources. Can anyone who has already purchased this warranty tell me if it covers the Quadra-Lift Air Suspension? Looking at covered parts for suspension at the Jeep site ( Maximum Care New Vehicles Coverage ), it doesn't seem to include Quadra-Lift components. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

jacko15, the MaxCare Lifetime Service Contract (it's not a "warranty") covers pretty much everything except "disposables" and "appearance" issues. It's spelled out pretty clearly in the written information what the specific exclusions are. Most of the online sellers have copies of that information available on their sites and for download.

The one other thing about the lifetime contract you need to understand is that it is NOT transferable to a new owner like the more limited term contracts are. It only covers for the time "you" own the vehicle.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
jacko15
2014 WK 

jim, thanks for the reply. I understand what you've said about exclusions, and it's not an excluded item. I've had extended service contracts (some manufacturers did call them warranties at one time) for 30+ years. Some will say they're a waste of money, but my experience has been otherwise. The exception was a contract that didn't spell out coverage for seals and gaskets that ended up not covering an expensive transmission repair. That was over 20 years ago, and I vividly remember the service manager daring me to find the words seals and gaskets in the large or small print of the actual contract. The link I included in my original post is to the site with the most complete listing of covered parts I could find, and the Quadra-Lift parts aren't listed. So what I'm really hoping for is someone who has an actual copy of the contract, or other first hand knowledge of Quadra-Lift coverage. I called the dealer finance guy at one local dealership, and he said pretty much what you said about exclusions, but you know the saying "once bitten, twice shy", or "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". I'm just a very cautious guy. Thanks again.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.