Warranty worth it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Warranty worth it?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

extended warranties are a tough call. In the long run it is almost certain that if you put that money into a bank account and forget about it you'll make out better.

On the other hand, if you have all your receipts, saying "look i don't effin care, you deal with it" is handy..

I had a Chrysler extended warranty on my '95 intrepid; never needed it.
I had a "warranty gold" warranty on my '99 Durango. I don't think I ever needed it. Warranty Gold went under, and I did get a small check from the settlement.
I had a Chrysler extended warranty on my '03 durango. Inner tie-rod end failed. Dealer made a stink about replacing it. Chrysler dealt with it.
My 07 WK has the limited lifetime powertrain warranty, but I bought the aftermarket 5/100 add on that the dealer was selling. Never used it, beyond 5 years now.

My advice is that an extended warranty is on the edge of "maybe, maybe not" .. but after all my experiences I'd get a Chrysler warranty, just because there's less jerking around at the dealer getting something fixed, and adding a third party into the mix just makes things more difficult. There are many Chrysler dealers online that sell these warranties for a good price if your selling dealer won't play ball.
Why do I say "dealer"? .. hm, well, based on (painful) experience, when you go to the local highly recommended independent to get your leaking front differential pinion seal replaced, you will find that this is not something they learned how to do while fixing toyota corollas and honda civics

just my $0.02
...tom

Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf View Post
.. but after all my experiences I'd get a Chrysler warranty, just because there's less jerking around at the dealer getting something fixed, and adding a third party into the mix just makes things more difficult.
This is most excellent advise. Aside from my distrust that third party warranty/service-contract providers may not "be there" when you need them, for all the complexity of these vehicles today, it's better to have the manufacturer on the hook and as backup to the dealer service department. That's why I put down my money last night after careful consideration. And yes, it was from an online dealer who wanted "far less" than my local dealer.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

resale

I have been buying extended warranties for years, always bought at time of new purchase (pay cash with invoice minus rebate) and was a Japanese buyer until my JGC which I bought used and still under factory b to b (it was actually an enterprise RAC). I plan to plan from chryslerwarrantys as by b to b will be up in August.

[my JGC blows away any of my prior mazda, honda, sub, or toyotas, with my 05 forester being yet a damn good vehicle)

I've never needed my extended warranties on jap cars but on the other hand I usually sold them after about 3 years when we had more kids or I got bored.

The main advantage in my opinion, is resale value. I have always sold on CL for KBB good to excellent PP asking price (or more) when I present the buyer with a stack of dealer service slips, and a tranferable extended warranty.

The car sells itself quickly for good reason. When you consider the financial hit of trade in, the warranty more than pays for itself.

my 0.02
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
Matterhorn
2012 WK 

Why are you guys buying extended warranties on new vehicles.
Is it less expensive to buy it now then waiting for the bumper to bumper to run out? If you paying for a 70k miles on a warranty is that on top of the factory 36k?
Matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Keyword is yet i'm normally not a warranty type either...but for a 40k car with a bazillion components, i'd like to stay covered for a while. If i had a base model barebone laredo, i probably wouldn't have bought it.
Understand where your coming from. When I said "yet" I meant for my past three vehicles. The JGC comes with a 5/100k drivetrain warranty so that covers the engine, trans, and driveline. What I would be covering, with a extended warranty, is the body and its components. The quadra lift system has been reliable and is not new technology. My experience with Chrysler vehicles has been trans issues and not gagets. I can do a lot of repairs myself, but I leave the big jobs for the experts. I figure that these warranty companies are not in business to lose money so the odds are in my favor.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Matterhorn, they cost a bit less when bought early and offer a few features during the basic 36K warranty, like a car rental subsidy. The 70K warranty is not an add on (70+36)... you get 36K initial warranty then 34K more for a total of 70K. When the odometer hits 70K you are no longer covered. Lifetime warranties are available, which cover you until the time the vehicle replacement value becomes less than the repair cost. At that time the pay you the replacement value and call it a day.
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
This is most excellent advise. Aside from my distrust that third party warranty/service-contract providers may not "be there" when you need them, for all the complexity of these vehicles today, it's better to have the manufacturer on the hook and as backup to the dealer service department. That's why I put down my money last night after careful consideration. And yes, it was from an online dealer who wanted "far less" than my local dealer.
So since it's a extended warranty with Chrysler, you can shop around for the best deal & still take the vehicle to your local dealer of choice for warranty work? (as with the basic warranty coverage) Is that how it works?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Matterhorn
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
Matterhorn, they cost a bit less when bought early and offer a few features during the basic 36K warranty, like a car rental subsidy. The 70K warranty is not an add on (70+36)... you get 36K initial warranty then 34K more for a total of 70K. When the odometer hits 70K you are no longer covered. Lifetime warranties are available, which cover you until the time the vehicle replacement value becomes less than the repair cost. At that time the pay you the replacement value and call it a day.
Thanks
Matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
Understand where your coming from. When I said "yet" I meant for my past three vehicles. The JGC comes with a 7/100k drivetrain warranty so that covers the engine, trans, and driveline.
To clarify, the JGC comes with a 5/100K drive-train warranty.
newtoncd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
So since it's a extended warranty with Chrysler, you can shop around for the best deal & still take the vehicle to your local dealer of choice for warranty work? (as with the basic warranty coverage) Is that how it works?
I bought mine online through eservicecontracts (unfortunately, they are no longer offering discounted extended service plans); I can take my JGC to any dealer for service.

As a side-note, I tried to get the local dealers to match the $1900 price ($100 deductible) and none would, so I purchased online.

When I log into the my owner section of the Jeep website, it shows the lifetime MaxCare plan I purchased.
newtoncd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
To clarify, the JGC comes with a 5/100K drive-train warranty.
Your right ,my mistake.
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Uponone

What are your warranty in the US ? Here it's 3 year/60 000 KM bumper to bumper and 5 years / 100 000 km Drive train ... NOTE THAT IT'S KM not miles ...
Uponone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone View Post
What are your warranty in the US ? Here it's 3 year/60 000 KM bumper to bumper and 5 years / 100 000 km Drive train ... NOTE THAT IT'S KM not miles ...
3 year/ 36000 mile bumper to bumper
5 year/ 100000 mile engine and drivetrain
3 year/ unlimited miles rust through on all panels
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
Uponone

Wow ... we are getting screwed on the drivetrain warranty in Canada ... !!!
Uponone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
zmilin
2011 WK 

I bought the Maxcare lifetime ($2050) with $100 deductible at about 37K miles. I got it for a couple reasons...
- The amount of technology on the 11' JG Overland I got was mind blowing. Computers and modules everywhere. I just dont want to take a chance on something breaking down and costing me an arm and a leg.
- I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time. My last vehicle was a 00' Montero Sport with 300K miles on it when I traded it in.

Ive used the warranty once already and it was smooth. I had both the fuel cap and check engine light come on. Turns out it was a valve or something on the EVAP system.
I showed the dealer my warranty card, they found it in the system and handled it.
As a bonus a few weeks later I got a refund check for the deductible as it turned out the repair was covered under the OE warranty.

So... through the warranty wasn't really used the process was smooth so I know it will be no hassle when I really need it.
zmilin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.