VOTS (Vehicle Order Tracking System) = Hot Mess - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > VOTS (Vehicle Order Tracking System) = Hot Mess

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
GoodTexan

VOTS (Vehicle Order Tracking System) = Hot Mess

I know there are other threads on ‘time for delivery’, but I wanted to call out Jeep on the VOTS system they're using to notify owners of the build and delivery status. I’m not griping for the sake of griping. I’m hoping someone at Jeep takes notice and fixes the problem for the next guy.

In short, VOTS SUCKS! Or perhaps more appropriately, the folks in charge of running VOTS are inept.

Here is what VOTS told us following our '14 WK2 order being placed with the dealer on 03/30:
04/05 – VOTS acknowledges order received (1 week to simply acknowledge you got the order? Really?)
04/08 – VOTS says it’s scheduled for production (Hurray! Good news)
04/18 – VOTS says build has begun (10 days; bummer but OK, you’re busy)
04/23 – VOTS says vehicle is built and scheduled for delivery to Dealership on 05/01

After receiving notice for delivery on 05/01, I contacted the dealer to make sure it would be ready for pick-up ASAP. The dealer pulled up the schedule in his terminal and it confirmed it the vehicle was built on 04/18, shipped to storage on 04/18 and then was slated for rail delivery and unload at dealer on 05/01.

On 04/29 I contacted the dealer to make sure all was on track. Unfortunately, his system now showed it wasn’t even set to get on the rail until 05/01 and then wouldn’t arrive at the dealership until 05/10. Thus the $1000 delivery charge couldn’t get it to us faster than 3 weeks and the 40+ days of waiting was overwhelmingly just delivery time.

To the folks at Jeep - The idea of VOTS is great, give the customer the satisfaction of knowing their baby is on the way. It was definitely exciting each time we got a message, just thinking how close delivery day was getting. The problem was that your execution was terrible, which is the problem with most companies these days.

Here are a couple problems you should fix immediately (heck, get yourself an award by taking credit):

1) The initial email to alert us our order was received should not take a week. All you’re doing is acknowledging I’m in the system. Don’t wait until the clerk in the dungeon gets every formed filled out in triplicate before you let me know you heard I ordered a Jeep. The delay just gives the perception your system is inadequate to handle your customers business for no apparent reason. You first email should go out < 10 seconds after the dealer hit ‘SOLD ORDER’.

2) Don’t put a picture of the plant where my Jeep is being built in the email and then put a disclaimer under the picture that says this may not be the plant my Jeep is being built at. That’s bush league. Pay a better software coder to have the form email pull a stock photo of the actual plant or just lie to me. It’s not like I’m going to drive over to the plant and confirm it’s actually being built. This makes your VOTS system smell low rent for no real reason.

3) Don’t tell me it’s scheduled for delivery and then slide the delivery date out 10 days and not even bother to notify me. We all know stuff happens and sometimes people screw up, just be up front with me. I’d respect you more for telling me why something can’t happen than just brushing it under the rug like I won’t notice.

4) The most exciting part is the build. You told me how it would move through the build stages listed below. Yet, I never got notice of 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8. I understand the build stages can happen fast, but the build is the most exciting part! How hard would it be to trigger the VOTS email as the build moves through production line segments? Heck, send me a stock photo of a frame being painted, outfitted, etc. That little touch would have been orgasmic.

1. Confirmation
2. Production
3. Frame
4. Paint
5. Trim
6. Final Inspection
7.Shipment
8. Delivery

I’m sure there is a whole bureaucracy involved in managing VOTS. But if you want to lead the pack you need to cut through the garbage and make yourself the leader. If your manager won’t listen, talk to his manager. If he doesn’t listen, walk it up to the next level. VOTS did nothing to build my confidence in the ability of Jeep to meet their promises and commitments.

I’ve loved all 4 of our Jeeps. I have two daughters who will learn to love Jeeps. I want Jeep to be premier. I need Jeep to want to be premier.

Thanks.

Last edited by GoodTexan; 05-15-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Funny coincidence, I received an email from VOTS today asking for feedback. I picked up my JGC a little over a month ago. The survey was worded in such a way as to not really allow me to make any of the points you bring up. There was a box at the end for comments, but by the time I got to it I just didn't feel like it would be worth my time to expound about their failings. I basically said the VOTS system let me know that my Jeep was ordered and was being built, but that was about it. There is another Jeep forum that makes order tracking available that puts VOTS to shame. I used it and was able to notify my salesman to look for the truck the morning it arrived at the dealership. I don't believe Chrysler has really dedicated much in the way of resources to the VOTS system. I think it was just a bit of an afterthought someone in the marketing department cooked up.
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't see anything that unusual in your sequence. I think you may be a little less knowledgeable than you think about what is going on and the logistics involved... and perhaps way over thinking. It is a production activity with a lot of variables. The process happens to be predictable until the ship point because the system is gamed.... So it takes a week or so to verify and acknowledge they actually will have the parts needed on time to build your truck (they do not warehouse parts, too inefficient). They won't schedule your truck until they are sure it will flow through production without a hitch. Only three days till the truck gets scheduled and another 10 days to start production, not a bad lead time, damn impossible to do better than that. About 5 days to build, maybe an extra day there.

Now comes the part with the most unpredictability, variability and frustration, and not under direct control of Jeep. The truck comes off the line and gets turned over to an independent shipping company. That company deals with getting empty rail cars to the right place, scheduling trains, optimizing payloads... all computerized to minimize cost ... all with numerous outside influences such as weather, breakdown, track maintenance.. not enough rail cars was a big one two years ago. Shipping companies don't get paid until delivery so they don't let truck sit in limbo if they don't have to. Sometime the truck rolls of the line and onto a waiting rail car which gets assembled into a train.. but usually not. Often the truck gets put into storage for a few days to a week waiting for the best time..... sometimes the train get sidetracked.. sometimes car carriers and drivers are in short supply. Plenty of things can go wrong and do.

The dealer has access to much more detailed status than Jeep gives you. Some dealers will keep you more appraised, but most are busy trying to sell more cars to bother and they have followed thousands of cars through the process and they know whatever happens will happens. Being anal about it just leads to frustration. There are so many things that can cause delays, no use worrying about it till the delivery truck shows up, and no use raising customer anticipation. The dealer usually needs a couple days after it comes off the truck anyway for prep and they don't want a customer breathing down their neck.... so relax it is only a few days out of years of use. Sometimes a little info can be dangerous.

Two years ago Jeep did not send customers any status. You had to depend on dealers, some of which would track your VIN for you.

Anyway IMHO, you may have unrealistic expectations, probably because you have no idea what it takes to build and deliver vehicles efficiently.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Your time frame looked normal, to me. I was going to say what ColdCase said but he stole my thunder. When I ordered mine last January, they told me 6 weeks once it was placed (which was a couple days after I left the dealer placing the order) but I planned on 2 months. So when day 30 rolled around and I saw it was delivered...I was stoked since it beat my expectations and the dealership's. It's not liking having a Dell computer built.

Enjoy your WK2.

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
GoodTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I don't see anything that unusual in your sequence. I think you may be a little less knowledgeable than you think about what is going on and the logistics involved... and perhaps way over thinking. It is a production activity with a lot of variables. The process happens to be predictable until the ship point because the system is gamed.... So it takes a week or so to verify and acknowledge they actually will have the parts needed on time to build your truck (they do not warehouse parts, too inefficient). They won't schedule your truck until they are sure it will flow through production without a hitch. Only three days till the truck gets scheduled and another 10 days to start production, not a bad lead time, damn impossible to do better than that. About 5 days to build, maybe an extra day there.

Now comes the part with the most unpredictability, variability and frustration, and not under direct control of Jeep. The truck comes off the line and gets turned over to an independent shipping company. That company deals with getting empty rail cars to the right place, scheduling trains, optimizing payloads... all computerized to minimize cost ... all with numerous outside influences such as weather, breakdown, track maintenance.. not enough rail cars was a big one two years ago. Shipping companies don't get paid until delivery so they don't let truck sit in limbo if they don't have to. Sometime the truck rolls of the line and onto a waiting rail car which gets assembled into a train.. but usually not. Often the truck gets put into storage for a few days to a week waiting for the best time..... sometimes the train get sidetracked.. sometimes car carriers and drivers are in short supply. Plenty of things can go wrong and do.

The dealer has access to much more detailed status than Jeep gives you. Some dealers will keep you more appraised, but most are busy trying to sell more cars to bother and they have followed thousands of cars through the process and they know whatever happens will happens. Being anal about it just leads to frustration. There are so many things that can cause delays, no use worrying about it till the delivery truck shows up, and no use raising customer anticipation. The dealer usually needs a couple days after it comes off the truck anyway for prep and they don't want a customer breathing down their neck.... so relax it is only a few days out of years of use. Sometimes a little info can be dangerous.

Two years ago Jeep did not send customers any status. You had to depend on dealers, some of which would track your VIN for you.

Anyway IMHO, you may have unrealistic expectations, probably because you have no idea what it takes to build and deliver vehicles efficiently.
Come on ColdCase, your response sounds like typical corporate drivel about how the company isn't responsible for anything that happens. I happen to be an engineer and work for an aerospace company with supply chains that dwarf Jeep. So yes, I may not understand all the distribution chain specifics of Jeep, but building your argument on an ad hominem attack on my knowledge is juvenile and incorrect, at best.

The week to acknowledge my order (03/30 - 04/05) was not for them to check parts, it was for them to simply acknowledge they received my order. Please read more carefully before criticizing. I didn't blast them for taking 10 days to schedule and begin production. As a matter of fact, the dealer provided schedule indicated the car was built in 1 day, not the 5 VOTS reported. My point was that they should take credit for that performance. I am criticizing VOTS, not the supply chain or production line logistics.

The lazy excuse of delivery not being under direct control of Jeep is amateurish. Jeep is the customer to the delivery company and can demand scheduling reporting, schedule performance, etc. If they didn't, they need to hire better contract requirement negotiators. Simply saying "oh well, we have no idea what's going on, it ain't our fault' is why American companies are heading down the tubes. Jeep's brand and reputation is at stake. I bought a Jeep and I expect Jeep to handle the logistics from order to delivery, if they choose to outsource it, it's their reputation that suffers for non performance so they have a vested interest in maintaining appropriate insight, oversight and leverage over the contractor. If you had taken the time to read my comment you would have understood that I was commenting on why VOTS should have notified me of the delay, not whether it was the truck driver called in sick or the rail car was getting graffiti cleaned off it. They said they were going to notify me at delivery so obviously they have some insight into the delivery chain.

Bottom line, my post was intended to help better the VOTS product and enhance the Jeep image. I offered concrete suggestions on how to improve the process. VOTS is a reporting system, putting triggers in place to send a form email isn't as complicated as you try to make it sound. I'm not questioning supply chain complexity, just what triggers a template email (e.g. 'hey, your frame showed up at paint, congratulations', not 'well, we're trying to locate the correct paint pigment in central china to order for the build of your particular jeep').

Anyway, your comment sounds like that of an apologist rather than forward thinking on how to make Jeep the best it can be. I doubt you would feel the same if you had a mechanical issue that deserved Jeep's attention and were told 'cars are complex and you have no idea what it takes to build and deliver cars efficiently'. It's better a company not put out a product than put out a weak, under developed product. The latter only serves to tarnishes the image of the remainder of the companies products. As I said in my original post - I want Jeep to be premier. I need Jeep to want to be premier.

No hard feelings. I just don't want the suggestions I was trying to make get lost in an unrelated debate on build-time/supply chain/etc. I'm only asking Jeep to step up their game on VOTS.
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTexan View Post
Come on ColdCase, your response sounds like typical corporate drivel about how the company isn't responsible for anything that happens. I happen to be an engineer and work for an aerospace company with supply chains that dwarf Jeep. So yes, I may not understand all the distribution chain specifics of Jeep, but building your argument on an ad hominem attack on my knowledge is juvenile and incorrect, at best.

The week to acknowledge my order (03/30 - 04/05) was not for them to check parts, it was for them to simply acknowledge they received my order. Please read more carefully before criticizing. I didn't blast them for taking 10 days to schedule and begin production. As a matter of fact, the dealer provided schedule indicated the car was built in 1 day, not the 5 VOTS reported. My point was that they should take credit for that performance. I am criticizing VOTS, not the supply chain or production line logistics.

The lazy excuse of delivery not being under direct control of Jeep is amateurish. Jeep is the customer to the delivery company and can demand scheduling reporting, schedule performance, etc. If they didn't, they need to hire better contract requirement negotiators. Simply saying "oh well, we have no idea what's going on, it ain't our fault' is why American companies are heading down the tubes. Jeep's brand and reputation is at stake. I bought a Jeep and I expect Jeep to handle the logistics from order to delivery, if they choose to outsource it, it's their reputation that suffers for non performance so they have a vested interest in maintaining appropriate insight, oversight and leverage over the contractor. If you had taken the time to read my comment you would have understood that I was commenting on why VOTS should have notified me of the delay, not whether it was the truck driver called in sick or the rail car was getting graffiti cleaned off it. They said they were going to notify me at delivery so obviously they have some insight into the delivery chain.

Bottom line, my post was intended to help better the VOTS product and enhance the Jeep image. I offered concrete suggestions on how to improve the process. VOTS is a reporting system, putting triggers in place to send a form email isn't as complicated as you try to make it sound. I'm not questioning supply chain complexity, just what triggers a template email (e.g. 'hey, your frame showed up at paint, congratulations', not 'well, we're trying to locate the correct paint pigment in central china to order for the build of your particular jeep').

Anyway, your comment sounds like that of an apologist rather than forward thinking on how to make Jeep the best it can be. I doubt you would feel the same if you had a mechanical issue that deserved Jeep's attention and were told 'cars are complex and you have no idea what it takes to build and deliver cars efficiently'. It's better a company not put out a product than put out a weak, under developed product. The latter only serves to tarnishes the image of the remainder of the companies products. As I said in my original post - I want Jeep to be premier. I need Jeep to want to be premier.

No hard feelings. I just don't want the suggestions I was trying to make get lost in an unrelated debate on build-time/supply chain/etc. I'm only asking Jeep to step up their game on VOTS.
I always love this... I'm an Engineer so I know everything. I notice in your comments you don't mention ever working for an automotive company or an auto transport company. I can tell you this is how auto transport works and it doesn't really matter what auto company you are dealing with. They turn the car over to them and they transport it. Most times the vehicle doesn't just go from point A to B they like to have many vehicles going that same way. That is why sometimes it may sit in storage areas for short periods of time. You can have just one car shipped across the country but it will cost more. So VOTS is just a reference its not cast in stone and as far as the conformation email - Why do you need that? You know you placed an order. I'm an Engineer also but this is not my field so I would expect that the people running VOTS and Jeep and the transport company know more about it than I do.
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
loveracing1988

Quote:

Ok, I didn't read all of the BS that was just spewed here but here is the simple part, you are not the only one jeep cares about. Could they do all your asking? Sure, but for what price, then they have to design the system that will keep track of all that stuff, sometimes multiple times per day since it takes less than 1 day to actually build the jeep. If they do all of that stuff and something goes wrong, then you will be complaining about that, we are lucky they even have the system in the first place, there really isn't any incentive to even have it, every single vehicle they build is pretty much sold before it is even built because they are selling so many of them. My wife and I ordered on the 21st of January and we're told it would take 45 days. It arrived and we took delivery on the 1st of April, 70 days total, so it irks me when I see people complaining about little stuff like this.
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Come on ColdCase, your response sounds like typical corporate drivel about how the company isn't responsible for anything that happens.
I'll just say again that you have no idea what the milestones mean and have miss interpreted them causing much frustration on your part. Saying that the order acknowledgment is simply that the order was received is an example of that lack of knowledge (the dealer gets that receipt as soon as the order is accepted as it was typed into the system, i.e. a confirm prompt). Dealers have been known to take a week to type in a customers order don't you know? How long did it take your dealer? They often have only one person authorized to make that kind of commitment. These milestones are typically records of hand offs from one manufacturing department/organization to another .. the tracking of which gives some idea of build and delivery status.

I could say this is an example of poor communications or know it all attitude that puts engineers in a bad light... but then I'm also an engineer with friends in the industry most of which are not that short sighted. I'm well aware of supply chain management. I just think you are associating a milestone in your mind to an entirely different event.

If you want to do some research, you could sort back through posts here and on other chrysler forums for discussions that may shed some light on the process for you.. there may even be a wiki out there... not saying the process can't be improved by using something like quantum physics.

There is likely some proprietary aspect of Chrysler's process, I'm surprised they are even giving this much visibility into it. VOTS has a lot more data than they reveal to the public and uses terminology unique to Chrysler. I think your concrete suggestions are heavy enough to sink to the bottom of lake Michigan, but that shouldn't discourage suggestions .
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Could have been Worse Coldcase

The OP could be a lawyer.

My GC was delivered last May and from the time of order until it reached my dealer it took about 30 days. I was counting on 6 weeks.

Does the OP realize how many GCs Jeep makes in a month? Sorry hoss you didnt purchase a G wagon or a Range Rover Autobiography edition. You and your vehicle just arent that special despite the fact you are an engineer.

Your GC was ordered, produced and delivered in a reasonable period of time.
Just be happy you didnt have to worry about a ship and weather. They didnt want your GC to be lonely on its train trip so they made sure it ahd some company.

I dont know what Jeep's competitors do to keep folks informed of how their special order vehicle is progressing.

My advice is chill and relax and schedule a nice rendevous with Ms Hand and her sisters, the Finger quintuplets.
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I want to know what Aerospace company could possibly have a larger supply chain than Jeep? Last I checked, far more Jeeps are built that anything I can think of in the aerospace industry. Or are you referring to number of part suppliers?
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would complain to a Jeep representative verbally, on the phone. The forum is not the most appropriate avenue, IMO.

Unread 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
GoodTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I always love this... I'm an Engineer so I know everything. I notice in your comments you don't mention ever working for an automotive company or an auto transport company. I can tell you this is how auto transport works and it doesn't really matter what auto company you are dealing with. They turn the car over to them and they transport it. Most times the vehicle doesn't just go from point A to B they like to have many vehicles going that same way. That is why sometimes it may sit in storage areas for short periods of time. You can have just one car shipped across the country but it will cost more. So VOTS is just a reference its not cast in stone and as far as the conformation email - Why do you need that? You know you placed an order. I'm an Engineer also but this is not my field so I would expect that the people running VOTS and Jeep and the transport company know more about it than I do.

Thanks for the reply RB 145. I never claimed to know everything and I even went as far as stating that I don't know the supply chain specifics of Jeep. So please lighten up anf keep things in perspective.

You're right though, I'm sure the people running VOTS and Jeep know more about it than you or I do. That doesn't mean we can't recommend changes based on the customer's perspective. We could have stuck with the horse and carriage or the carburetor (an engineering marvel), the wired telephone, black and white TV, but someone pushed for something better.

I apologize for saying VOTS “sucks” or people are “inept”. That served no purpose and was an over-reach on my part. Obviously some of you folks must be very close to the issue to take such offense to a recommendation for how something could be improved. I promise, no offense was intended.

Peace.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
GoodTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
I want to know what Aerospace company could possibly have a larger supply chain than Jeep? Last I checked, far more Jeeps are built that anything I can think of in the aerospace industry. Or are you referring to number of part suppliers?
Arlo - Your last statement is what I was referring to. Supply chain magnitude isn't just based on units produced. Jeep may sell more units but has orders of magnitude less parts/suppliers/countries involved than building a jumbo jet, a stealth fighter or a rocket.

But don't get to bent out of shape on that comment. I was only trying to let Coldcase know I wasn't the supply chain moron he was inferring to discredit my suggestions. I have no doubts that the Jeep supply chain isn't terrifically complex.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
GoodTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I would complain to a Jeep representative verbally, on the phone. The forum is not the most appropriate avenue, IMO.
I hear ya Jackal. I'm not looking to go-off on anyone. I'm fine with the delivery time it took, I only want Jeep to put some polish on how they portray themselves via the service. You're right that this Forum isn't the best avenue, but just trying to raise awareness in different venues. Sometimes a grass-roots ground swell is more effective than yelling at a customer service rep who is probably underpaid to begin with and just feeds the comment to the goat.

I posted here because I figured the Jeep community would be the most supportive group of folks on implementing changes that would benefit us all. So far folks seem agitated at even suggesting things could be better. Not sure why folks are so distressed over this, no harm was intended.

Peace.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
GoodTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I'll just say again that you have no idea what the milestones mean and have miss interpreted them causing much frustration on your part. Saying that the order acknowledgment is simply that the order was received is an example of that lack of knowledge (the dealer gets that receipt as soon as the order is accepted as it was typed into the system, i.e. a confirm prompt). Dealers have been known to take a week to type in a customers order don't you know? How long did it take your dealer? They often have only one person authorized to make that kind of commitment. These milestones are typically records of hand offs from one manufacturing department/organization to another .. the tracking of which gives some idea of build and delivery status.

I could say this is an example of poor communications or know it all attitude that puts engineers in a bad light... but then I'm also an engineer with friends in the industry most of which are not that short sighted. I'm well aware of supply chain management. I just think you are associating a milestone in your mind to an entirely different event.

If you want to do some research, you could sort back through posts here and on other chrysler forums for discussions that may shed some light on the process for you.. there may even be a wiki out there... not saying the process can't be improved by using something like quantum physics.

There is likely some proprietary aspect of Chrysler's process, I'm surprised they are even giving this much visibility into it. VOTS has a lot more data than they reveal to the public and uses terminology unique to Chrysler. I think your concrete suggestions are heavy enough to sink to the bottom of lake Michigan, but that shouldn't discourage suggestions .
Peace bro. I'm not trying to aggrivate you. Looking to improve things isn't what puts engineers in a bad light, it's the very definition of what they should be doing. I get it's complicated and I'm not expecting changes overnight or even next year. I simply put it out there as things they could poke at to enahnce their image. Branding and public perception matters, just look at the battle American car companies have been fighting to get past the notion that Japanese cars are better.

Based on your passion on the topic it sounds like you're close to this topic or something similar. As I said in my response to RBI145, I apologize for saying VOTS “sucks” or people are “inept”. That served no purpose and was an over-reach on my part. No personal attack or offense was intended, but I can see how that might not have seemed the case by my statement.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.