VM Motori diesel opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > VM Motori diesel opinions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
scottmacmoyle
1986 CJ10 

VM Motori diesel opinions

Any one have any first hand knowledge on the reliability and or quality or general information on the VM Motori diesel that is going into the 2013 Cherokee ? I have been googleing my brains out but there is not alot of info out there. I dont want to end up with a lemon. Thats why I am startng the research early.

scottmacmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Ungerer

Look on www.jeepaustralia.com.au . We have it in Australia and a mate has one ,he is over the moon about it and as taken from mackay down to Newcastle and it's about 3000km and back and got around 9L for 100km and the jeep run sweet as all the way down &back ! He put petrol in her , there dropped it out and put diesel back in it . and no hazels she is running as hard as when he got her ,it's got 10.000 km on her
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

check out liberty forums, they ran that diesel for awhile.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
check out liberty forums, they ran that diesel for awhile.
Yeah and they have so many issues with the VM engine.There dropping turbos left and right and well before 100k at $1700 a pop,and virtually impossible to find parts like a water pump or t-stat to do a correct timing belt job.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
BioCRD
2012 WK 

The VM engine in the Liberty is a 2.8 L four cylinder, completely different unit from the 3.0 v6 in the Grand Cherokee.

The parts for the 2.8 are available, just not well-known in North America
as the CRD version was only available here in 2005-2006. Many many of them have been built (in Toledo, OH) for the overseas markets.

The issues reported are mostly due to the US dealer's lack of knowledge
about this diesel version of the Liberty. My CRD Liberty ran 88000 miles with never a need for a mechanical repair. Pulled like a little tractor. I'd like to have been able to keep it forever.

I'd get a CRD Grand Cherokee in a heartbeat - except I needed another vehicle now, so I settled for the 5.7.
BioCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Ungerer

That's funny , as I said have look on jeep Australia and have a look at the JGC,s as they have all the information about the motors that are in the jeeps v6,v6 diesel &v8,s !
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
scottmacmoyle
1986 CJ10 

Thanks for the replies. I will have a look at the Aussie site.
scottmacmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
6806goats

Wk Noob to Jeeps

Howdy all! I'll need to fill out an intro but I had to reply to this thread. Thank you for posting info on the diesel. I'm torn between getting a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and a diesel GC. But since I want to support US mfgr's who build diesels I think I'll go with the GC. Sounds like an awesome combination. Unfortunately I'll probably have to give up my 2006 GTO/Monaro to do it but she's been sitting in the garage most of the time while I work in Iraq. The GC will probably do the same I guess.

Thanks and bring on the diesels!
6806goats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6806goats
Howdy all! I'll need to fill out an intro but I had to reply to this thread. Thank you for posting info on the diesel. I'm torn between getting a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and a diesel GC. But since I want to support US mfgr's who build diesels I think I'll go with the GC. Sounds like an awesome combination. Unfortunately I'll probably have to give up my 2006 GTO/Monaro to do it but she's been sitting in the garage most of the time while I work in Iraq. The GC will probably do the same I guess.

Thanks and bring on the diesels!
The wrangler should get the diesel like its got the v6 3 .6L and soon
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Dannyboy83

Well, i've only had mine for about 5000 kms, and just finished running it in. So i finally got a chance to really test it, and i can tell you that it pulls like a freight train. And does 8ltr/100km if you take it nice and easy.
Dannyboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
DCT
2004 WK 

A friend of mine owns one in Italy. I drove with him a couple of times and I also was with him when he bought it new. He currently has ~30,000 km's on it, most of it highway driving. No issues whatsoever so far. The car is very well soundproofed inside.

The engine is very refined, I could compare it with the 3.0 diesel engine from BMW X5 E70 (245 hp version) and ML 320 CDI (W164). Those of you who drove those two cars won't notice any difference. It's also very fast, probably around 8,5 s to 100 km/h and the gas mileage is very good for its weight.

He can't say anything about the reliability of the new engine so far, 30,000 km's is way too low now, however absolutely no engine/transmission issues so far and hopefully the car will go on that way.

Before of the WK2 diesel he also owned the WK 3.0 CRD diesel and he put around 150,000 km's on it in less than 3 years. That was a hell of a engine, very reliable and with a good resale value, at least in Europe.
DCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I've heard a lot of people wishing for the 8-speed auto to hit the Jeep line-up. It’s mind boggling how many people are being sucked into the MYTH that the more gears your auto. trans. has, the more MPGs you’ll get. Folks, I hate to break it to you, but you could stuff 15 speeds into an auto. trans and if you pick up 1 mile per gallon you’ll be lucky. 10 years ago Jeep was still using 3-speed automatics in some models. Those models got the same fuel economy as the 2012 lineup is getting with 5-speeds. Why do people think 8-speeds are going to improve economy? No matter how many gears you stuff in there, you still lose power to the torque converter, and your final drive ratio once you hit the speed limit will always be the same too.

25 real world miles per gallon average is all these CRD Jeeps are ever going to do. I know.. I’ve owned two of them.

Now, as far as VM Motori reliability.. the engines are rock solid. Very strong motors and very dependable. Been used in agricultural and marine applications for decades. My Jeep Liberty had 101,000 on the clock and the ONLY repair was a thermostat as far as engine related stuff goes. I'd take a VM Motori diesel in a heartbeat.

Cost of maintenance is low. People spread lies about the reliability often...don't listen to them. Where it does get expensive is IF you need actual internal engine parts. The few guys that have needed engine work have spent thousands getting back on the road. But they are a small few. The problems that the U.S. Liberty models had were NOT VM Motori's fault. The turbos were Garrett units, and the EGR systems were mandated by the American EPA and were an afterthought. The VM engines themselves are rock solid.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
6806goats

A 6 speed would be enough behind a diesel. Really deep gearing for the tough stuff but then an extra od for mileage. The 8 spd would keep you in more of the power band though. Not really needed like in a semi but then the mfg would produce them if there wasn't a benefit.
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm bringing this old thread back to life as it's rather interesting. I realize some of this is being talked about in another thread, but I was searching on VM quality and read this one.

Anyway, back in the late 70s my dad had a diesel Peugeot that was very sensitive to as I recall water in the diesel. The car was great, but due to some poor quality diesel on multiple occasions including having a tough time getting it serviced, the car went to the junk yard at an early age.

So how is U.S. diesel quality today, and as well is it an issue with VM's diesels? Along with the WK2 getting the 3.0, according to Alpar.com, it looks like there is going to be a diesel 1500 RAM, and possibly a future Wrangler, which I think would be great to help sell more diesels and give dealers a reason to sell and service them.

Thanks...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
padgett
2012 WK 

US manufacturers never had a problem with big (6 liter +) diesels, just had a problem with rev range and weight. Few realize that in the early 80's just about everyone had a diesel, most imports had a 2-2.5 liter. Ford even had a Lincoln with a 2.4 liter TD from Steyr/BMW. Unfortunately GM tried to make a diesel out of a 350 cid Olds which was a great gas engine (better IMNSHO than the SBC) but just did not have the bottom end strength for a diesel particularly if it got a little water in the mix. Soon Cadillacs (for some reason Caddy owners were the first to buy) were littering the Interstates like armadillos.

My 86 Vixen has the same Steyr diesel as the Lincoln & BMW 524TD and it does fine keeping the 6300 lb RV at freeway speeds and does not hold traffic up from a stoplight. Secret is downshifting early and running on the EGT (admittedly a foreign idea for Americans).

Our loss is that after the GM debacle just about everyone (except Mercedes) pulled diesels from the US market at a time when the Europeans were maturing from smelly, slow, noisy, and dirty engines to ones comperable in power, smoothness, and rev range to a larger gas engine. The secret is that a diesel and a supercharger go together much better than anything on pump gas below 10,000 feet. E85 might have a chance though.

IMNSHO if we had gotten our act together sooner battery/hybrids would have never had a chance. Dunno if in the long run if that would have been good or bad but if you want to talk total operating costs, ask someone with a VW TDI.

ps with a lockup torque converter, most of the heat/inefficiency goes away. My Pentastar is getting sub 8 second 0-60s (with the a/c off) and is just reaching 2,000 rpm at 70 mph (about 200 rpm more than the top I've seen mentioned for the 8 speed), not sure what adding a fourth planetary set in the space of three is going to do for strength/longetivity though have seen mention of a 500 lb-ft version RSN, just doubt that it will be soon.

(not going into the concept of a staged planetary set with dual rings since apparently no-one has but personally don't see why they didn't develop a CVT that could take the torque. Maybe they can't.)

One of these is a turbo diesel.

One of these is a turbo diesel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.