Vibration at highway speeds. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
chillerman0406
2011 WK 

Vibration at highway speeds.

Ok. I have recently had new tires installed on my 2011 v6 overland 4wd with QT2 and QL suspension. Replaced with the original Goodyear 20" foretta (full set). Now I notice that when I reach about 65 mph I notice a vibration. Also when I hit a bump on the road it feels like there is a possible bad strut. I had NTB check the tires. First they found that the balance was was out. ? No surprise there. They rebalanced them. It seemed to help some. That was about 3 months ago. But now it has returned. New tires have about 6k on them now. Been rotated twice. The manager from NTB took it out on a road test. Upon return he said it felt like a shock in the rear. He gave me a price to replace all them. 5100.$. Good grief. I'd trade it in on a horse and buggy. Does this sound legit. I heard some where this is not an uncommon complaint with these Jeeps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

It sounds like you got crappy tires. If this NTB is where you bought the tires, and they want $5100 for four Jeep shocks, then you probably have a pound of crack in one of your tires, left there by accident since the whole shop seems to be on the stuff. Sometimes tire treads are not quite perfect, or the casing is not the same weight all the way around, and that will make them hard to balance. If they got it almost balanced, you might have symptoms that go away until the shaking has loosened up your other components. You also could have thrown a weight.

I just had bilstien struts put up front in my jeep, and it was cheap enough I don't remember what it cost. Are your shocks electronic or something crazy? $5100 probably would do a BMW with electronic shock absorption and variable ride height. And cover part shipping from Germany.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Do you have rim spacers?

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids

post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillerman0406 View Post
Ok. I have recently had new tires installed on my 2011 v6 overland 4wd with QT2 and QL suspension. Replaced with the original Goodyear 20" foretta (full set). Now I notice that when I reach about 65 mph I notice a vibration.
Forteras are well known for inconsistent quality control, if you get a good set they are a pretty good tire on dry roads. You probably have a bad tire. There are tons of threads here on the subject, some pretty recent, with good advice. Worn wheel bearings could be the source of some sensitivity to tire balance.

Like most cars now days the front suspension has the shock built into the strut. You can't take the airbags off the struts like you can steel springs, so you need the entire assembly, airbags and all. There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket. In US dollars, on eBay these run $300-$500 each. From traditional parts sources they list for $1500 and you can buy them at discount for $1000. So you would have at most $3000 US in parts alone for the fronts. The rears are more traditional and there are some aftermarket for them, they run $100-$150 or so last I checked. So $3300 in parts and then maybe 4 hours labor? Maybe $4000 US, dunno if that translates to $5100 Canadian if you are in Canada. Things like this was the prime reason I opted for a lifetime maxcare warranty.

Wasn't there just another thread on this subject?

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.