Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Very Impressed with WK2’s QD II and Silent Armors

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  overland_HO 
#1 ·
Hello,

Here is SLC we got dumped on over the last week, probably a total of a foot or so of snow. We had to drive to Idaho from SLC about 125 miles each way for a funeral this past weekend. The roads were, well, not good at all, ice and snow packed conditions, pretty much the whole trip. I utilized the snow mode at times and I was very, very impressed with the way it controlled the Jeep’s throttle, traction management and the way it handled the road conditions. I was also very impressed with the GY Silent Armors they did just great in the conditions! We have had this Jeep for about 7 months now, bought it new, we use it as a DD, grocery getter, 4x4 it, exploring the wilderness, it’s been to Moab and other short trips. I just wanted to say that this Jeep has done everything we have throwin’ at it and has been a good solid rig so far, not a one problem, we have been pretty damn impressed with it and happy! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
I did not know that they are phasing them out but good info. to to know for sure, is it still the Kevlar enforcement witht the new version? We have used them on the Moab slick rock, up in the High Uinta's Mtns ranges., pretty tough old rough roads up there, mainly your typical old mining, rocky, rutted out, mini boulders type roads, they have even seen sand out at Little Sahara Dunes when we played out there with the our 4-wheelers and now snow and ice, these are probably IMO one of the best AT tires out and I have owned on a vehicle so far, and I have had just about everything else from BFGs, Terra's, Nitto's, Michelins , etc. I need new tires on my RAM 2500, the crappy Michelins that came on that rig are about toasted now and I am thinkin of these GY Silent armors tires as an option for that rig. Does anybody know how they wear and perform on the heavier HD trucks?

:cheers2:

#6 ·
As for your HD Ram, they do offer the GYSA in an LT with a load range E. I think you will be very happy with them, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of an HD truck. I've had the GYSA on a Nissan Frontier, but that does not compare to a full size truck.

#11 ·
Yep -- they came OE on my '12 Outdoorsman. That's one of the reasons why I picked an Outdoorsman over the Big Horn -- with crappy 20" GY HPs. I love my LT ProGrade Silent Armors. They may be wearing a little quicker than the P-metric versions I had on my previous Aspen.

The new A/T Adventure are very similar, and also have Kevlar, but only the LTs have the snowflake symbol.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

#8 ·
Hello,

I utilized the snow mode at times and I was very, very impressed with the way it controlled the Jeep's throttle, traction management and the way it handled the road conditions.
This might sound like a stupid question but I looked in the manual and did not find an answer. Can you shift in to the snow mode while moving on the road, let's say 30-40 mph?

So far I only tried the Sand mode on the beach and I always stopped before moving the selector. To get to the Snow mode I need to go through Sand first so I was wondering if this is safe for the transfer case to do while moving on the road.

Thanks.

#9 ·
Hi,

Yes thats a good question, I believe its ok just to move selector over to snow mode from auto when switching. I generally slowed down to about 45-50mph..it engaged with no issues at those speeds. I treated it kinda like if you where to switch from "2 wd to a 4wd high" T-case like in my RAM but I could be wrong. My wife also looked in the manual on the way up and agreed that it does not
Indicate a speed anywhere that we could find. Peace of mind for me for the switch, is the speed mentioned above... :). Does anybody else know what the speeds are for selecting the different terrain modes??

#13 ·
Thank you for all of the comments and information, think I will start shopping for a set for my RAM and a leveling kit! Time to spend more money, wife will not be so happy! :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.