V8 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > V8 questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
ZZVitas

V8 questions

Hey everyone. For those of you that have a V8, how many miles are you able to drive on a full tank of gas.

I have a V6 and am only getting about 430 miles. I am thinking about getting the 2012 V8 (lots of problems / issues with the 2011) and wanted to know the average miles one can expect from a full tank.

Thanks

ZZVitas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The two Jeeps have the same tank size. Most get about 10% less mileage with the V8, so if you are like most, you should get a little less than 400 miles out of a tank... but there are a lot of variables. I routinely get about 500 miles out of a tank, for example... but I run it near dry before refilling and spend a lot of time highway cruising.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
nightsordays
2011 WK 

I got mostly 500 miles with one fill up out of my V6 Cherokee but I drove also mostly highway. If you drive more city than highway then it's okay with 400 miles per tank fill up. My V8 Cherokee is a little bit thurstier.
nightsordays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
peckmv

I'm getting about 375 - 400 miles out of a tank. I never let it run completely empty. I usually get it filled up when it starts dropping below 1/4 of a tank.

2012 Overland
5.7 V8
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

I have an '12 GC Overland Hemi (Refuse to call it MDS) and am getting about 400/tank but only have 500 miles on it. Only one fill up so far.
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
but I run it near dry before refilling and spend a lot of time highway cruising.
This is bad for the fuel pump.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
fotomatt1

I'm hoping for about 400 miles on a tank. I'm picking up my new Laredo X with Hemi on Friday. My Black Friday will consist of me picking up my new Black on Black Jeep!!!
fotomatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... but I run it near dry before refilling and spend a lot of time highway cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
This is bad for the fuel pump.
Um.... why? Not enough head pressure?
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

gas cools fuel pump?
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

How big is the tank on these things??

My 4.0 ZJ can barely get 300 miles to a tank, and that's with a 23 gallon tank! Of course the most I've ever put in it is 19 gallons, I refuse to let the gauge get down into the red.

I avarage around 16mpg with it.

I find miles per tank discussions irrelevant...there's no set way of comparing that since people all fill their tanks at different times. Like above...one guy says he lets it run near dry, another said he never goes below 1/4 tank. So of course there will be very different answers.

Figure out your miles per GALLON, that's a much more relevant figure.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
fotomatt1

The tank is just under 25 gallons.....and it's bad to run it nearly dry because the pump isn't being cooled and lubricated properly, and enough sediment can get kicked up from the bottom of the tank to get sucked into the pickup and go through your pump. Not a big deal if it happens every once in a blue moon, but if you do it repeatedly it's not good.
fotomatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post

Figure out your miles per GALLON, that's a much more relevant figure.
For those of us that take long trips routinely, or have long commutes and don't want to stop for gas every day, I think the miles per tank is a more relevant figure that mpg... but its just math so no big deal. The OP intends to drive the V8 the same way he drove the V6 and simply wanted an idea of how far he could drive per tank. So the relative miles per tank is equivalent to the relative miles per gallon, given that the tanks are the same size.

Once your add in other variables, like driver, ride type.. etc the comparison may become irrelevant.

Good thing I got that lifetime warranty, the way I abuse that fuel pump
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Driving no more than 65-70 mph from Salisbury, NC to Washington, NC, I made it on one tank. That's about 480 miles roundtrip. I was shocked I made it... but I did, with about 30 miles to spare (according to the computer).

If I'd driven 75+ like I could have, no way I would have made it. I got around 21 mpg on that trip w/ the Hemi 4x4.

That was a one-time thing, though. I typically fill up before 1/2 tank.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZVitas
Hey everyone. For those of you that have a V8, how many miles are you able to drive on a full tank of gas.

I have a V6 and am only getting about 430 miles. I am thinking about getting the 2012 V8 (lots of problems / issues with the 2011) and wanted to know the average miles one can expect from a full tank.

Thanks
Have you taken it back to the shop to get it looked at are they giving you a new one ?
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
For those of us that take long trips routinely, or have long commutes and don't want to stop for gas every day, I think the miles per tank is a more relevant figure that mpg... but its just math so no big deal. The OP intends to drive the V8 the same way he drove the V6 and simply wanted an idea of how far he could drive per tank. So the relative miles per tank is equivalent to the relative miles per gallon, given that the tanks are the same size.

Once your add in other variables, like driver, ride type.. etc the comparison may become irrelevant.

Good thing I got that lifetime warranty, the way I abuse that fuel pump
If he never lets it get below say 1/4 tank before filling, and you let it run dry, how is that an equal comparison? You may say "I get 500 miles per tank" because you run it dry. If he in turn tries to do the same thing, and only gets 425 because he fills up at 1/4, he's not going to be happy, and will then complain that his Jeep gets horrible mileage, when in fact he has no idea what mpg he's gotten.

Or one guy might get 300mpg per tank becasue he does all stop and go city, while the next guy gets 500 per tank becasue he does almost all highway.

So that really tells you nothing, only that you get better mileage on the highway.

Only good comparison is MPG. But yes, you are right, driving style, type of commute, road conditions, weather conditions, all make a difference in mpg. But it's still a better figure to judge by.

If you get 500 miles per tank (based on a 25 gallon tank), but have to fill it with 23 gallons, you've gotten 21.7mpg. If you've gotten 430 miles per tank, but have filled it with 18 gallons (at aprox 1/4 tank mark), you've gotten 23.8 mpg. Sooo, the less miles per tank driver actually got better mpg. See my point?

And if you take frequent long trips or whatever, what's the difference? Yeah, I have a long commute and don't like stopping for gas everyday either. SO, when I need gas, I FILL IT UP. If you're one of those people that only puts in 10 or 20 bucks at a time, yeah, you'll never be able to really figure out mpg.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.