USA Today review on EcoDiesel (2/7) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > USA Today review on EcoDiesel (2/7)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

USA Today review on EcoDiesel (2/7)

Anybody read it? Thoughts/impressions?

Personally, I disagree with their two criticisms on the transmission and engine. Having owned diesels for the past 30 years, this is one of the quietest and smoothest. And, if they wanted more of a mechanically feeling transmission, they should stick to reviewing trucks and not luxury SUVs.

Unread 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
TurboRush

I haven't read it, but that would also fly in the face of most car magazines that have raved about the transmission and motor (as well as raved about the transmission is most every other car its in).
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

How's about a link

to the review???
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

No link. It was in today's newspaper. But I'm sure there's a link somewhere to be found.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
ableeda

A lazy amount of googling found this -- http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...iesel/5208219/ -- Not sure whether that's the correct article. I like the prefix eco but I don't understand how it works in this example from reading the article. A WSJ article seems to indicate that many companies are starting to offer EcoDiesel trucks -- http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...62932092192304
ableeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
jaje
2007 WK 

Went to site to read and had to accept 10 scripts in order to view the page (have FF with noscript). That's too much crap to load to even be worth the effort. They note the v6 gas is better than the diesel and it only makes sense in a pickup is all I could see in the margin notes of a photo.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

That's not the same review. The one from Friday's paper was a review of the JGC diesel and they were comparing it to the Ford Edge and other smaller SUV such as the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia. Weird. Not sure why they wouldn't be benchmarking it against the Explorer, Range Rover, etc.
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanab_ram View Post
That's not the same review. The one from Friday's paper was a review of the JGC diesel and they were comparing it to the Ford Edge and other smaller SUV such as the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia. Weird. Not sure why they wouldn't be benchmarking it against the Explorer, Range Rover, etc.
That lame comparison alone says a lot. Not to mention it's just the opinion of these 2 guys, whoever they are. I take such reviews for what they're worth......about $.02. And that's being generous.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

It's just unfortunate that it was published in a national newspaper reaching such a large audience. For selfish reasons, I want to see the diesel survive and gain traction and not fail because of a few ignorant individuals.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Many times who ever is writing an article about comparing vehicles has no knowledge or experience of what they are comparing. What ever criteria they are using should be similar or at least as close as possible.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
ChrisCicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
Went to site to read and had to accept 10 scripts in order to view the page (have FF with noscript). That's too much crap to load to even be worth the effort. They note the v6 gas is better than the diesel and it only makes sense in a pickup is all I could see in the margin notes of a photo.
Serious question, how you use the internet in this day and age without scripts? Do you spend more time approving scripts than actually reading the web pages? Why do you disable all scripts?
ChrisCicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCicc View Post
Serious question, how you use the internet in this day and age without scripts? Do you spend more time approving scripts than actually reading the web pages? Why do you disable all scripts?
First off I'm in the IT industry. Second I allow scripts to load without having to affirm them each time if from trusted sites. It is a pain at first to do it when I go to a new site and have to go one by one (or do a web search on a specific script). It takes me 1-2 minutes total to do this. In the case of USAToday's website they had over 20+ scripts to find out what to run and I just gave up. If that site is so loaded with them then I question their intent and don't need to go there.

Why I do this: all you need to do is mistype in a known address and have it take you to a website that has malicious script that your unprotected browser will run them. Such as if you mistype cnn.com as cn.com or whitehouse.gov as whitehouse.com (there were some major malware on those sites). Or even on JeepForum where hackers target bulletin boards as the major players are constantly getting attacked and if hacked they'll load all sorts of malicious scripts that may spy on your or track your clicks (which can steal passwords). For instance JF.com when I first visited I then allowed only 4 scripts only (newrelic, jeepforum, and two google scripts) and I have full functionality but dont allow the 12 other scripts that load with this site.

Plus if you have kids they will type in any address anyone tells them to do and who knows what a immature mind will go to and allow. The moral is I'd rather be safe than sorry.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

The link below should work.
I think there was something wrong with their vehicle as my ecodiesel is smooth as butter. It's on par with the Mercedes diesel in my 2008 CRD. I also get just under 26 MPG with a mix of highway (55 mph) and city driving compared to their 19.4 MPG.

Also, most people who buy the diesel would otherwise choose the hemi which is only $1,300 less than the ecodiesel engine

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...iesel/5267865/
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.