Upgrading Brakes on 2014 GC 5.7 Limited - Looking for options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Upgrading Brakes on 2014 GC 5.7 Limited - Looking for options

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Pinepear
2014 WK 

Wk Upgrading Brakes on 2014 GC 5.7 Limited - Looking for options

Greetings all! New to the forums and 2-time GC owner. I just got a hold of my 2014 GC Limited 5.7L with 20' wheels. Beautiful ride, amazing transmission, great power.

Here's the deal, I live in Latin America and things are a bit dangerous here, so armoring your car here is pretty standard. I'd be getting a level 3 bulletproof armoring with 25mm glass windows and kevlar (+ other materials) body protection good for 9mm. This adds about 400-500 lbs of weight to the car. It's basically like riding around with 3 extra guys all the time.

Even though performance isn't sacrificed too much, I do plenty of long-distance in very dangerous curvy roads. Even though I won't be doing any crazy driving, I need all the braking power I can get, so I need to get my brakes upgraded, even though the armoring dealer says it won't be necessary.

1. Would the GC SRT Brembo kits work? How would I go about acquiring the whole package? I'd do the SRT Brembo swap but it seems to add wheel complications. I don't mind getting the SRT rep wheels.
2. Any other after-market performance brake kits for the GC? Can't find anything online, as there are no official options for the GC.
3. Do I need to upgrade brake lines, fluids, etc?

Any information would be helpful, especially in terms of compatibility, prior experience with installations, etc. Shipping isn't an issue. I'll ship to Miami.

Thank you all.

Last edited by Pinepear; 01-06-2014 at 12:14 PM..
Pinepear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Several here have swapped out the 5.7 brakes for SRT. I think there is an outfit that sells the entire package... but you will need new wheels, either SRT or another style that fits over the massive SRT calipers. The kit includes rotors and brackets along with the calipers and pads. I think I bookmarked the info, but hopefully, by the time I get back to the house, someone will have jumped in here.
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
mx71
2013 WK 

I've also been curious about this. I have an Altitude with 20s, but the standard brake kit. Would it possible to upgrade to the HD Brake kit, not necessarily SRT? What is the difference? Larger rotors and maybe calipers with more pistons?
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Pinepear
2014 WK 

From researching other forums, it seems the wheel upgrade is necessary before even attempting the SRT Brembo swap. I also see discussions on brake line and MD upgrades, but nothing conclusive.
Pinepear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run EBC yellow stuff pads on my wrangler. HUGE improvement.
NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx71 View Post
I've also been curious about this. I have an Altitude with 20s, but the standard brake kit. Would it possible to upgrade to the HD Brake kit, not necessarily SRT? What is the difference? Larger rotors and maybe calipers with more pistons?
If I recall correctly, someone posted here a couple years ago. You need a bracket/adapter and caliper for each wheel. Perhaps a rotor. I think the brake pads are the same.

Edit: My memory is failing me, see this thread for SD/HD brake discussion:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ndard-1421235/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.