Undercoat and Paint protection for new Grand Cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Undercoat and Paint protection for new Grand Cherokee

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
Undercoating in Western PA is a MUST, because PennDOT salts the heck out of the roads here.
I respectfully disagree, undercoating just makes it worse. It is pretty well known that spraying off (washing) the salt spray is what works best. Using undercoating is old school, like changing oil every 3000 miles regardless. Made sense in the 50s/60s/70s but we are currently way beyond the usefulness. Oil change and undercoat shops like to scare customers into generating business. There may be exceptions, but the WK2 is not one of them.

I've lived and owned many a high mileage vehicle in salt country for 45 years now and getting the nasty stuff washed off is by far the best practice and the only practice that works long term. Getting the vehicle into a garage and dried out helps a lot. The vehicle you were looking at may have never been washed.

You will always get what looks like surface rust on drivetrain and suspension components but that doesn't hurt anything.

I undercoated and rust protected the heck out of my 79 CJ using top shelf products and it still crumbled away.

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
zr2s10
2012 WK 

We don't all have garages, and I'm not taking my vehicles to an underbody car wash constantly through the winter. So I will continue to undercoat them and avoid rust through. And I didn't realize that steel stopped rusting after the 70s.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

I respectfully disagree, undercoating just makes it worse. It is pretty well known that spraying off (washing) the salt spray is what works best. Using undercoating is old school, like changing oil every 3000 miles regardless. Made sense in the 50s/60s/70s but we are currently way beyond the usefulness. Oil change and undercoat shops like to scare customers into generating business. There may be exceptions, but the WK2 is not one of them.

I've lived and owned many a high mileage vehicle in salt country for 45 years now and getting the nasty stuff washed off is by far the best practice and the only practice that works long term. Getting the vehicle into a garage and dried out helps a lot. The vehicle you were looking at may have never been washed.

You will always get what looks like surface rust on drivetrain and suspension components but that doesn't hurt anything.

I undercoated and rust protected the heck out of my 79 CJ using top shelf products and it still crumbled away.
I respectfully disagree with this. I have no experience with Chrysler's and undercoating vs not undercoating but with Ford and gm products my family has always undercoated our vehicles, if you look at ours vs other the same age and mileage there is zero rust except of parts that cannot be undercoated. The vehicles that are not undercoated are rusting out already and these are vehicles from the late 90's and the early 2000's. We wash our vehicles around once a month to 2 months and once a year wax them with cheapo turtle wax. I'm sure everyone's results may vary but I know what works for us. For $300 I think it is cheap insurance.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

If you iive in the Florida Keys, you will be driving a rust bucket in a few years......no matter what your ride unless U own a car wash. Love bugs do a lot of damage also and are hard to remove. No matter what you select and what your ion about this topic, I believe the only partial answer is good care. Sprinkler systems may leave deposits like calcium and the elements will in time get to your paint job (some colors worse than others). IMHO the dealer paint protection is a waste of $
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.