Undercoat and Paint protection for new Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Undercoat and Paint protection for new Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
philculp

Undercoat and Paint protection for new Grand Cherokee

So, I just signed all the paperwork for my new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland. This is my first jeep... So psyched, I take delivery on Monday.

The dealership is "recommending" undercoat and paint protection ($199/$329). Would anyone recommend for/against this? Is it worth the money?

Thanks

philculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Just a dealer high margin profit grab. Undercoating is unnecessary, and paint protection can be done at a good detailer for much less. Enjoy your new Jeep, you're gonna love it!
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, both undercoat and paint protection are completely unnecessary and high profit items for the dealer. Most reputable dealers don't even offer undercoat, many don't even mention paint protection but interior treatments are often mentioned.

If you are worried about paint chips, there are better protection methods, like a 3M film. But a routine wash/wax will protect the paint. Don't bother thinking about undercoat.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
jeepers2265

Like others have said it is a waste. Most dealers call it a Sealant or protection, you can buy sealant and apply it yourself before waxing, it is basically a harder wax that protects the clear coat.

Most dealers dont even put it on, they just say they did.

Look into the XPEL clear film, a full kit for the 14 GC is about 770 installed from most local dealers, it is the same price as the website shows you can find a dealer that way. It self heals and while the 3M is good, I am reading a ton of reports saying this is the new best thing going.
jeepers2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Carange334

My dealer told me I could get the undercoat done anywhere if I wanted but said there should be some form of protection in place right from the factory. Not sure if thats true or not, but I never got it done to begin with so I figure, ah whatever.
Carange334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
philculp

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll pass on the undercoat and paint protect from the deal, and I'll look into the xpel protection.
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philculp View Post
So, I just signed all the paperwork for my new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland. This is my first jeep... So psyched, I take delivery on Monday.

The dealership is "recommending" undercoat and paint protection ($199/$329). Would anyone recommend for/against this? Is it worth the money?

Thanks
Undercoating was a must to protect against salt so it depends on where you live. 50 years ago cars were surface sprayed but now they are dipped. If you live on snow roads that are heavily salted or the Florida Keys undercoating can be worth while. I have a Ford truck that I bought in 1990 that never rusted in the keys because I had an outfit (US rust control) undercoat as well as punching holes in the bottom of the doors and sprayed the interior with a cosmoline type substance. When it got hot it dripped on the driveway for about 15 years ......but no rust. Modern vehicles don't usually need it but if you are going to be pulling your boat up a ramp you might want to consider it from a rust control company (Not the Dealer).
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
Undercoating was a must to protect against salt so it depends on where you live. 50 years ago cars were surface sprayed but now they are dipped. If you live on snow roads that are heavily salted or the Florida Keys undercoating can be worth while. I have a Ford truck that I bought in 1990 that never rusted in the keys because I had an outfit (US rust control) undercoat as well as punching holes in the bottom of the doors and sprayed the interior with a cosmoline type substance. When it got hot it dripped on the driveway for about 15 years ......but no rust. Modern vehicles don't usually need it but if you are going to be pulling your boat up a ramp you might want to consider it from a rust control company (Not the Dealer).
This.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

3M also makes a rubberized product in several grades and sizes for DIY customers that is good. A number of paint and body shops don't really have equipment to handle the rubber so may fool the customer by using a couple of throw away cans of this stuff. The 3M stuff cost about $1.00 per OZ depending on the can size and can be easily applied when on a rack. There is an old out of business location near me that has an abandoned in ground auto well that I will probably put my new ride on and spray in select places.

One area that is often not attended to is for water that seeps past the door windows and accumulates in the bottom of doors. The factory painting has helped with this problem. 30 years ago Ford had the reputation of "If you listen carefully, you can hear your Ford rust". This problem with both painting and weep holes have been greatly reduced on new auto's.

The plastic window toppers help with the window/water problem and don' hurt the look of the ride. Be careful when selecting undercoating done by anyone as you may get a expensive DIY job.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
GaryGC

As others have said there really is no need to undercoat. That being said however, all you have underneath is the painted surface of the vehicle. I decided to use the 3M undercoat spray, mainly to prevent rock chips and road debris from dinging the paint. Easily done and only took two cans and a square piece of carboard to use as a shield for covering things I did not want coated. Would have been real easy with a lift but did not have access to one so put the jeep on rampes and worked well enough.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I live in the snow belt, and agree that 50 years ago you had to make some provisions to protect the body from salt and rain. At that time (and perhaps today) there were many outfits that simply sprayed on undercoat that ended up holding water and salt close to the metal and made things worse. Always use a wax based (self healing flexible) product if you are going to do this. That being said, I have never had a body rust problem on a chrysler product since ... oh.. 1980 when better metals and plating certain parts became widespread (CJs still rusted). I stopped undercoating about that time. My 2000 JGC has 200000 miles over 13 years mostly in snowy salty weather and is without a hint of body rust. Both my 1980 and 1990 Voyagers went 15 years and the body looked new when we traded it.

The best thing in snow or ocean side country is to rinse off the harmful road spray often and park in a unheated garage. The biggest corrosion problem these new JGC have seems to be the "poor" quality chrome pieces that the spray on crap Connecticut likes to use on their roads will discolor and stain within hours.

Today undercoat does more harm than good for a vehicle used typically on the street.

Spray on undercoating being bad for rust protection defies the common sense of most, but facts are facts. It is worse than nothing statistically. Some posers like the looks undercoating gives to the car, and it can be useful for sound deadening, but the WK2 is pretty well sound insulated.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

I agree with Cold Case. My 2001 Ltd was not undercoated and still looked new when it swallowed a valve on May 24th and a new engine would cost more than the value of the ride.
I got 12 years of dependable service and 175,000 miles so hope my new GC Ltd 4X4 does as well. I have more problems with love bugs on the grill than salt anyway
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
philculp

I took delivery today, passed on the undercoat. Montana doesn't salt so I'm not worried about it anyways.

I checked into the xpel, and the only place in town that did it said the installer left so they don't do it any more. I really think I want a film on it so I'm between getting the 3m clear bra from a local place or I wait until I road trip to Denver in July to have it done.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philculp View Post
I took delivery today, passed on the undercoat. Montana doesn't salt so I'm not worried about it anyways.

I checked into the xpel, and the only place in town that did it said the installer left so they don't do it any more. I really think I want a film on it so I'm between getting the 3m clear bra from a local place or I wait until I road trip to Denver in July to have it done.
Look at your warranty 60 months or 100,000 miles rust through (holes?) My '01 went 12 years with no problems. Only suggest you check rubber around windows after a few years and check out for problems when on rac in the future. I used splash guards on the '01 to protect against rock chips on paint. In 12 years I finally wore paint off door handles (exterior).
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I would pass on anything a dealer tries to sell you. For paint protection, regular waxing should be good enough, but the films are probably a better alternative if their done right. Undercoating in Western PA is a MUST, because PennDOT salts the heck out of the roads here. Any little nick from a rock in your undercarriage will start a rust spot. I am fixing up an Avalanche I bought wrecked. It's from W. PA with 85k on it, and the frame has a nice topcaot of rust on it now. The parts truck I bought is from Nebraska has ~230k on it, and the frame is spotless! If it wasn't for all the extra hassle and paperwork, I woulda swapped the whole thing out!

If they don't salt much where you are, you're probably okay. Some garages will spray the underside with a tar/oil mix for pretty cheap, but you have to do it every season. A good undercoating place around here charges about $600 (so I hear), but it will last a long time. And they go all out and get inside your panels too. I'm probably getting this done on our 2012 before this winter.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.