Under the hood? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Under the hood?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
grand767

Under the hood?

Just picked up our new 2012 Overland with the 6. Popped the hood to show a friend the engine and noticed on the hood lip there is a rubber "seal" along the driver's side but missing on the passenger side. Does anyone know if this is normal? I assume it is and has to do with the air intake on the driver's side. Much appreciate the help on this.

grand767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
BMRisko
2012 WK 

It is the "snow blocker" for the air intake...perfectly normal.
BMRisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
grand767

That's what I figured, but just to confirm you are talking about the seal that is attached to the underside of the hood, right? Not the "dam" on the top surface of the grill?
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
steveinaz
2011 WK 

It's only on 1 side (air intake side). I took my jeep back for the same thing, the mechanic showed me 6 other cherokees, same thing.
Tow package
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
grand767

Thanks very much!
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
padgett
2012 WK 

Found the seal, is right at the edge of the hood and looks like it is sealing air/rain from flowing over the top of the headlight.

Seems odd: the seal is across the edge of the headlight and it appears to want to pull intake air from the slots on top of the grille and over the radiator support cover to the intake. This makes sense however there is a foam barrier strip that will block most of the flow (see picture). The path in the grille, out slots on top, and around to the intake should keep rain/snow/birds out of the intake but the barrier makes little sense other than to block the air flow. Wonder why (sell CAIs ?)

Need to monitor the Intake Air Temp using my OBD scanner with the barrier in place and with it removed. Might be interesting.

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
txwest
2012 WK 

As mentioned a few posts above, it blocks things from blowing into the box. Snow, dirt, etc etc.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i have the rubber seal but not the foam barrier.

the temps from my scangaue 2 are about 3-5 deg over outside temps. same with my 07 camry se i had that had an intake that looked almost the same as the jeep .
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.