Ugh - 2014 GC Door Trim is MIA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Ugh - 2014 GC Door Trim is MIA

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justal13 View Post
Lets see how well the door dings look after a while. Jeep should have switched to or offered optional body-colored side molding. You can park in the lot nether-lands, but some neanderthal will always search you out - park 12" from your GC and open a door into it.

I have a local trim business that can order custom-made, factory finished-end side molding painted to the OEM color. I have done that on a few vehicles. Just make sure you or the installer wipes the painted surface with rubbing alcohol before installing the new trim.

Personally, I like my chrome grille, chrome side molding and chrome tail-gate brow. I think removing those items, the new head & tail-lights and toothless mouth looking lower bumper on the 2014 cheapen the new GC and almost offset the postive features (new center-stack, new media center and nw 8-speed). The taillights and rear hatch area in particular now look like almost every melted ice-cube SUV on the road including the new Kia Sorento (not that I would ever purchase a "foreign" branded vehicle).

Most of the new OEM wheel choices are a down-grade from the 2011-13 too. The only ones I really like are the 20" chromed ones on the Summit.

Did anyone notice that Jeep's website and literature promise 25 mpg highway for the V6 4WD model, but the window stickers only show 24 mpg. So the new tranny really is not much of an improvement in mpg over the 2013. And during my test-drive of the 2014, the tranny up/down shifted constantly on open highway. Around town, I did not notice any major improvement over my 5-speed.
I know this is not the thread for MPG but I'm glad you brought it up.
I haven't seen posts about MPG on the new transmission.

Do you think you are driving it harder because its new?.
Just curious.

LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Liberty1954
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTexan View Post
River Oaks Dealer here in Houston has about dozen Limited/Overland in stock. Went by to test drive today and found a couple things that seem like Jeep goofed on. One of the issues (for us) is that they dropped the door trim.

Aside from the awesome function/utility of that trim panel to absorb the dialy parking lot beatings from adjacent car doors, it really added quite a lot to the 'stoutness' of the GC look. The dealer had 2013 and 2014 side by side and we couldn't help but see it as a deficiency in the 2014. The door trim really helped set off the body lines and add 'strength' to the posture of the prior models. The 2014 almost seem to be elongated and more squatty when compared to the 2013. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's minivan-ish (maybe too Durango-ish?), but we really couldn't help but feel like the 2014 lost a significant feel to its rugged good looks and became a little more effeminate.

The dealer kind of agreed and said we could buy the 2013 door trim panel, they're just glue-ons he says. Does anyone have experience with putting on/replacing those trim pieces? Is it a realistic thing for us to do after delivery or is it going to be a headache that will never be quite right? Been waiting since 2011 for this danged 8-speed transmission, hate to think we would prefer the 2013 over door trim.

I can email comparison pictures if you like (100kB upload limit prevents any meaningful picture upload). However, the pictures don't really do the difference justice. You'll probably need to see it with your own eyes before you can decide for yourself.
I totally agree - prefer the 2013 and will want to change - it really helps protect the doors too !! Jim from Ottawa ordered a 2014 grand cherokee limited feb 13,2013
Liberty1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1954 View Post
I totally agree - prefer the 2013 and will want to change - it really helps protect the doors too !! Jim from Ottawa ordered a 2014 grand cherokee limited feb 13,2013

How much is a Jeep in there ? My friend visited south america and saw prices on the 2012 going for $125.000 ---> Dollars.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
ChrisOC

There is not right or wrong answer here. I still have the trim on my mg Jeep, which is chrome and I plasti dipped it black but hated the color contrast. I'm thinking of removing it instead since after 6 weeks of owning it, some idiot ding my panel an inch away from the chrome strip. But haven't pulled the trigger yet cause I already can tell some spot on the chrome that has saved a panel.
ChrisOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.