Ugh - 2014 GC Door Trim is MIA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Ugh - 2014 GC Door Trim is MIA

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
GoodTexan

Ugh - 2014 GC Door Trim is MIA

River Oaks Dealer here in Houston has about dozen Limited/Overland in stock. Went by to test drive today and found a couple things that seem like Jeep goofed on. One of the issues (for us) is that they dropped the door trim.

Aside from the awesome function/utility of that trim panel to absorb the dialy parking lot beatings from adjacent car doors, it really added quite a lot to the 'stoutness' of the GC look. The dealer had 2013 and 2014 side by side and we couldn't help but see it as a deficiency in the 2014. The door trim really helped set off the body lines and add 'strength' to the posture of the prior models. The 2014 almost seem to be elongated and more squatty when compared to the 2013. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's minivan-ish (maybe too Durango-ish?), but we really couldn't help but feel like the 2014 lost a significant feel to its rugged good looks and became a little more effeminate.

The dealer kind of agreed and said we could buy the 2013 door trim panel, they're just glue-ons he says. Does anyone have experience with putting on/replacing those trim pieces? Is it a realistic thing for us to do after delivery or is it going to be a headache that will never be quite right? Been waiting since 2011 for this danged 8-speed transmission, hate to think we would prefer the 2013 over door trim.

I can email comparison pictures if you like (100kB upload limit prevents any meaningful picture upload). However, the pictures don't really do the difference justice. You'll probably need to see it with your own eyes before you can decide for yourself.

GoodTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Your dealer can then get you these: http://www.justforjeeps.com/wk2chdomo.html Then you or the dealer would heat up around the letters with a hair dryer or heat gun (keep it moving), then take fishing line or a plastic puddy knife to remove the letters, and then heat up the glue residue left behind and use your thumb to roll the glue off (it can take some time and effort). Then measure the location of the chrome side trim on a 2013, measure it on your new Grand Cherokee, put blue painters tape down to get the line right, line up a new chrome side strip, remove the tape from it, line it up and make sure it's lined up perfectly where you want it before you put it down because once it sticks it's on for good. Line up one end and then carefully move it into position and when lined up put each chrome strip on this way.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

The chrome door trim is so 10 years ago. It looked out of place on the 2011-13. I removed them from my 11 and added the Grand Cherokee lettering. Much better look, more modern.
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
FAUEE
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
The chrome door trim is so 10 years ago. It looked out of place on the 2011-13. I removed them from my 11 and added the Grand Cherokee lettering. Much better look, more modern.
Totally disagree.

The letters only looks good on the SRT, but not having them on the more luxury oriented models makes them look like cheap base models IMO.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Matterhorn
2012 WK 

I've been contemplating removing the trim on my 2012 Limited.
Matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
mpuzach
2012 WK 

Interesting thread - it goes to show that you can't please everyone. I'm in the camp who prefers the chrome trim of the 2011s, 12s, and 13s, including the chrome trim on the outside rear hatch. Between that and the new wheels, I'm very happy to have my 2012 Limited and don't crave the '14 in the least.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
MonteJeep
2012 WK 

Very interesting. I agree with the above poster. I likethe amount of chrome my 2012 limited has and actually don't like the 2014 because of the lack of some of that chrome. When i was younger, i bought the cherokee limited because it had no chrome...guess this means im getting old(er). Interesting to see the ages of those who prefer chrome to those who do not. Im 40 in a few months...
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
FAUEE
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteJeep View Post
Very interesting. I agree with the above poster. I likethe amount of chrome my 2012 limited has and actually don't like the 2014 because of the lack of some of that chrome. When i was younger, i bought the cherokee limited because it had no chrome...guess this means im getting old(er). Interesting to see the ages of those who prefer chrome to those who do not. Im 40 in a few months...
Prefer the chrome on my Overland. I'm 26.

I have a vehicle that has no chrome at all, all surfaces are painted. IMO it all depends on the vehicle. IMO the Jeep looks cheap without the chrome, but chrome on my old vehicle would have looked just as bad as no chrome on the GC.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

It's your money and you can chrome or de-chrome any Jeep to your heart's content.

I personally hold faux-chrome in the same regard as mimes, the Anaheim Ducks, and aggressive door-to-door solicitors; one reason I bought a Trailhawk - no imitation chrome. Real chrome is no better IMO; I took the 1980s "TJ Hooker" Moto Metal wheels off my truck in the first month of ownership in favor of matte finish.

Bottom-line; it's your ride, so chrome the heck out of it if that's your thing.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Justal13
2012 WK 

I agree with the lack of body-side molding and chrome on teh 2014 GC. The molding on my 2012 GC has saved me from door-dings on many occasions. And I personally like the look of the chrome side molding over the GC lettering.

Another option is to purchase custom fit pre-painted body-color molding. I have done this in the past and the match from this company was perfect and it "disappeared" so it was barely noticable - but protected against dings. Had this on my last SUV, and it look like new after 6 years when I traded. I ordered mine and had it installed by the same company that does my 3M Clear Film bras. The company does not carry stock molding for the GC, but you can measure and have the molding custom-cut and painted to match - which is what the local installer did for mine. The molding has factory-finished ends and looks like it came from the factory. Mine was the 1.25" width, but also comes in 2". The company is Sport Wing, Inc:

http://www.sportwing.com/body-side-molding.aspx
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ng
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Berk483
2013 WK 

I pulled the chrome strips off mine in favor of the MY14 chrome letters. I like the cleaner lines along the doors...but thats just my taste.
Berk483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
ChrisUCF99

I traded in my 2012 Overland for a 2014 Overland. I like the lack of chrome door strips, I'm even contemplating removing the Grand Cherokee lettering. May even remove the "Jeep" logo off of the front. I disagree with it looking effeminate, if anything it looks pretty damn mean like it wants to eat anything in its way.

I do miss the chrome door entry sill guards that were on my 2012.

ChrisUCF99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Subjective, to say the least.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Justal13
2012 WK 

Lets see how well the door dings look after a while. Jeep should have switched to or offered optional body-colored side molding. You can park in the lot nether-lands, but some neanderthal will always search you out - park 12" from your GC and open a door into it.

I have a local trim business that can order custom-made, factory finished-end side molding painted to the OEM color. I have done that on a few vehicles. Just make sure you or the installer wipes the painted surface with rubbing alcohol before installing the new trim.

Personally, I like my chrome grille, chrome side molding and chrome tail-gate brow. I think removing those items, the new head & tail-lights and toothless mouth looking lower bumper on the 2014 cheapen the new GC and almost offset the postive features (new center-stack, new media center and nw 8-speed). The taillights and rear hatch area in particular now look like almost every melted ice-cube SUV on the road including the new Kia Sorento (not that I would ever purchase a "foreign" branded vehicle).

Most of the new OEM wheel choices are a down-grade from the 2011-13 too. The only ones I really like are the 20" chromed ones on the Summit.

Did anyone notice that Jeep's website and literature promise 25 mpg highway for the V6 4WD model, but the window stickers only show 24 mpg. So the new tranny really is not much of an improvement in mpg over the 2013. And during my test-drive of the 2014, the tranny up/down shifted constantly on open highway. Around town, I did not notice any major improvement over my 5-speed.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.