Turn Signal Failure/Possible Electrical Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Turn Signal Failure/Possible Electrical Problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
illflo
2012 WK 

Turn Signal Failure/Possible Electrical Problem

Jumped in the WK2 to take off on an afternoon trip the other day, turned left out of my driveway, hit my turn signal and a warning message came on that read: Left rear turn signal lamp out! I pushed the signal stick (I know, but what else should it be called?) down and the turn signal blinked faster than normal, confirming that the rear lamp was out. So, off to AutoZone. $7.95 later, and I have two new Sylvania Bulbs that fit my tail lamps.

After two borrowed screwdrivers, a Swiss Army Knife, and a lot of swearing I finally have my tail lamp out of the jeep and suspect bulb out of the housing. Why Jeep chose to use push-rivets on tail lamps is beyond me and a total PITA when it comes to removal. Two Philips head screws would have been a tremendous improvement.

I put my hazards on and was able to figure out that the lower of the two bulbs in the taillight was out. After closer examination, the bulb did not appear to be visibly damaged. I chalked it up to my not having microscopes for eyes and replaced it with a new bulb. I tried the hazards, the bulb comes on. I reinstalled the tail light, jumped in the car and go to turn left out of autozone and get the same message: Left rear taillight signal lamp out! I push down on the signal stick with the same result: no rear turn signal.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do I have electrical demons or am I missing something? In both cases the lamp seemed to work properly immediately after I started it up but then fried the bulb. Is this most likely a short?

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
boyvan
2012 WK 

Well.....I did have the same issue...rear left turn fuse....message.....faster blinking. My GC was due for 2nd service.....I took it in and it was fixed under warranty. On the bill all it said was that bulb fused and replaced...I don't recall seeing any electric related fixing.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
illflo
2012 WK 

Hmmm. Will have to replace the fuse and bulb tomorrow and see if I can fix it. If not will have to try the dealership (speaking of PITAs).
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
illflo
2012 WK 

Update: Replaced the fuse (didn't appear to be bad). Replaced the bulb (also didn't appear to be bad). Same problem: worked properly for a second when I started it up and then got the warning message. I had factory tow installed and wired about a week ago and there is an empty fuse slot in the fuse box that says "Tow Lights", or something to that effect. I'm wondering if this could be the cause. I'm taking it to the dealership today to see if they can figure it out.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
drballard33
2011 WK 

May seem crazy and not to make you sound stupid but did you try turning the bulb around? Sometimes the wedge style bulbs will only work one way. Also, are you sure you got the right bulbs? The turn signal bulbs use a 2-way (I think there is another name for it) bulb so it stays lit for the tail lights then brightens when the brake or turn signal is turned on.
drballard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drballard33 View Post
May seem crazy and not to make you sound stupid but did you try turning the bulb around? Sometimes the wedge style bulbs will only work one way. Also, are you sure you got the right bulbs? The turn signal bulbs use a 2-way (I think there is another name for it) bulb so it stays lit for the tail lights then brightens when the brake or turn signal is turned on.
Yeah, I tried both ways, all fits. I appreciate the feedback. I have made enough dumb mistakes so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for me to do something like that. I used the same bulb part # (according to Autozone).

I took it to the dealership today. They said that all fuses were ok and I had all the required fuses. They said that they replaced both bulbs in the taillight and it worked properly. They told me that Autozone probably sold me a bulb that was single current and it requires a double current bulb that will flash and light up, so I blew the single current bulb immediately. They also said that if you have one light out and use the signal a lot anyways you can blow the other bulb, and that this may have been what I did. The charged me $5 for the whole thing, so I was pretty happy. Thanks for the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.