Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
If BioDiesel were more prevalant in my area (and at a decent cost), I would definitely consider the diesel for my next truck or GC. BioDiesel stands a better chance than any other alternative fuels I've seen. And so it's somewhat on topic, lol, do you need a tuner to run that? I know very little about running a diesel, they're pretty much a curiosity for myself at this point. I thought about a WK diesel, but my wife wanted the WK2.
Running high percentages of bio in a DPF equipped vehicle is not good and will lead to problems. During the DPF regen (every 500-1000 miles), post injection is used during the exhaust stoke or very late in the power stroke. Bio will not vaporize the same as #2 diesel and leads to high levels of oil dilution as unvaporized fuel will leak past the rings.

The emission regs are not inline with using a sustainable bio fuel in new diesel vehicles.

GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

I'm leaving mine stock for now but watching closely for any failures due to the DPF/EGR. Eventually, we will all die from cancer if we live long enough.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
classyjeeper

I am waiting first for break in time

Any ideas? 2,500 miles, 5,000 miles?

Then intake and exhaust.

Is there an intake system for it?

Exhaust system?
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #34
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Nitrogen oxides are the only form of pollution that goes up with biodiesel.
http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-ba...t.pdf?sfvrsn=4

I ran biodiesel in my 2008 WK (anywhere from B99 to B5 depending on the time of year) and it didn't cause any issues with the DPF over 134,000 miles,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDE View Post
Running high percentages of bio in a DPF equipped vehicle is not good and will lead to problems. During the DPF regen (every 500-1000 miles), post injection is used during the exhaust stoke or very late in the power stroke. Bio will not vaporize the same as #2 diesel and leads to high levels of oil dilution as unvaporized fuel will leak past the rings.

The emission regs are not inline with using a sustainable bio fuel in new diesel vehicles.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
Nitrogen oxides are the only form of pollution that goes up with biodiesel.
http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-ba...t.pdf?sfvrsn=4

I ran biodiesel in my 2008 WK (anywhere from B99 to B5 depending on the time of year) and it didn't cause any issues with the DPF over 134,000 miles,
You are right in that NOx emissions go up with bio, but this is primarily due to the higher cetane and oxygen content in bio vs #2 diesel. The vast majority of testing at NREL (national renewable energy lab) involved just switching fuels and running emission tests. They did not change the engine calibration to be optimized for the bio. OEMs always have different tuning for US vs. Europe just due to the difference in cetane. The US averages 42 and Europe averages about 51...this requires changes in injection timing to balance the NOx emissions.

The issue with oil dilution is still valid with bio on DPF equipped diesels as I stated. This is mainly due to the significantly higher flash point with bio.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
silverd

GDE is right. Oil dilution with fuel is not good when said oil is trying to lube all of those important and fast moving internal parts.

The diesel supplement for '14 WK2 Ecodiesel users manual states that even using as little as B20 owners may notice a higher oil dipstick reading but in time the fuel will evaporate.

Just like back with the CP3 on 05 and 06 KJ CRD where internal parts were made with hardened metals to handle the harshness and dryness of the then new ULSD hopefully VM Motori built up key internal parts in this V6 to handle diluted oil for a while. I run max B5 (more sometimes) to provide lubrication of the CP3 on my 06 KJ CRD AND the users guide recommends using B5 on the WK2 3.0. So I assume for same lube purpose on the CP4. Today's ULSD is still just as harsh.

I am waiting and evaluating the new tuning options as they show themselves. I hear Chrysler has built in "recordings" -- permanent ECU memory of any changes in values than originally set so they can be eager to deny warranty work. This is even if you "deflash" a tune or pull out added "plug and plays" before going for warranty service. With power train warranty going to 100,000 miles now this is a very important issue.

Roland
silverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #37
classyjeeper

Anyone know of any intake or exhaust systems?
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #38
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

no and no, not yet. I'm not sure either will have any substantial performance effect. I don't think the intake is limiting the turbo, it's a pretty free flowing intake. Banks has developed a different intake manifold, but it's probably a prototype at best at this point and they also modified the turbo so one might not be worth it without the other, if you could get your hands on either...... The limiting factor on the exhaust is definitely the particulate filter and cat so unless you are planning on dealing with all the consequences of removing one or both of those, there probably is not much to be gained by changing other parts of the exhaust. If you want to change the sound of things that is different, but I wouldn't go into basic intake or exhaust mods and expect any major performance gains.
Unread 03-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #39
SCAPIE4

Hi from a discussion with my mechanic he suggested that I use STARTECH chip tuning. Spoke to them however they no longer support Jeeps, however they said that the old chip tuning box used in the previous CRD 3.0lt does fit the new Ecodiesel engine. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried that? I am a bit sceptical.....
SCAPIE4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #40
diverb

I have another post under "My GC at BANKS for tuning". I loaned my diesel GC to Gale BANKS, and they are testing exhaust, cold air intake and some other mods. So far the exhaust system that have installed is 23lbs lighter and has a 83% better flow than stock
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #41
philbytx
2014 WK 

Gale Banks

Did they mention anything about warranty issues putting their aftermarket system(s) on Chrysler vehicles?
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #42
philbytx
2014 WK 

Gale Banks

Did they mention anything about warranty issues putting their aftermarket system(s) on Chrysler vehicles?
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #43
diverb

I personally don't worry about the warranty myself but that's just me, I tend to mod all my vehicles. I know that BANKS tends to be very conservative and their products are designed to be 50 state street legal and NOT to void warranties.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #44
classyjeeper

I am going to have my exhaust guy do custom system. Basically just remove mufflers.

Where or how does the DEF system work so as not to affect anything with modification?

Is it before catalytic?
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #45
diverb

"DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is used as part of the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system, where the urea-based DEF is used to aid in the 'breaking down' of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) that are a major combustion byproduct of the diesel compression-ignition process.

High levels of NOx are generally created by high in-cylinder flame front temperatures, a side effect of high cylinder pressure which is most common under high load (high power). When we tune an engine, we're always watching NOx (as well as HC, CO, and CO2) emissions, and we often times will find that there is a finite limit to the extra power that can be created without substantially increasing the emissions. Careful handling (not shutting off, but proper calibration for higher output) of the turbocharger, EGR, and injection control systems allows us to make more power cleanly, without requiring a much higher rate of urea injection to compensate for increased emissions."

I think the gist of it is if done properly you can still get performace and mileage gains with the emissions equipment in place. It just takes more time, patience, and knowledge. I hope this answers your question.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.