Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Soot

Poster wanted to get rid of the soot burner. Diesels put out very fine particulate matter which causes cancer. Not sure what the article from Reuters has do with anything.

You do know in the EU with stricter emission regs coming that the prediction is that there will be a movement away from diesels to petrol engines to meet the new standards. Also dont forget diesel is subsidized in the EU. Diesels will have a tough time meeting the new standards.

Diesel has its place in HD pick ups. You never get back the cost difference between a diesel 2014 GC Limited and a 3.6L V6 2014 GC Limited in 10 years. Might be closer with the V8.

Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
jaje
2007 WK 

Dave - so do the GDI gas engines burn dirtier in order to make them more like diesels in order to make them more fuel efficient (but still can't beat a diesel). That's the pot calling the kettle black (soot I mean). Oh - and only makes sense in HD pickups. Interesting Ram 1500 (not an HD) truck that gets 2x the mileage than all v8s in their comparisons and easily kills the v6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend TOY 2014 Ram Ecodiesel
When all was said and done, the EcoDiesel returned an observed 15 mpg at the test track, while the GM V-8s and the lone Toyota 1/2-ton V-8 were all in the single digits. The Sierra V-6 managed only 10 mpg. The Real MPG testing confirmed our findings, with the Ram towering over its 1/2-ton competition by at least 8 mpg city, 7 hwy. If you still doubt the advantages of the diesel engine, this might be more a spiritual than intellectual quandary.
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...k_of_the_year/

Then again gas is subsidized in the US as there are higher taxes are on diesel fuel from Fed all the way to municipal levels. Plug in hybrids get a sizeable tax credits and none for diesels. Gas refineries get blender credits and other subsidies (none for diesel).

The age old AntiDieselDave argument that only the mpg difference counts in breakeven from difference in purchase price and he uses the EPA ratings (well those of us who understand the real world) know that EPA ratings are not all that accurate. So let's realize that EPA ratings for almost all gas powered cars are higher than real world whereas on the flip side, the EPA ratings for diesels are normally lower than real world. So that makes breakeven closer in mileage and time.

Then there is the RESALE VALUE of a diesel powered vehicles (which I've posted a study from UM Transpo Institute arguing this same point against AntiDieselDave) is almost always higher than the gas version of the same vehicle thus you get more when you sell it late and recoup that cost. But, But, But what if they don't sell it? What if they want to keep it until they die? Well then the breakeven is normally 3-4 years from the difference of course depending on the vehicle and trim levels and profit gouging of the OEM. In this case the Hemi is $1,300 to $2k less than the Ecodiesel depending on options / build). Comparing this to the Pentastar doesn't make sense as we are optioning up for more power and torque.

And I'll beat you to your next argument about failing injectors or the glow plugs as you have no evidence that this is a major occurrence.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
n5mpllc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Poster wanted to get rid of the soot burner. Diesels put out very fine particulate matter which causes cancer. Not sure what the article from Reuters has do with anything.

You do know in the EU with stricter emission regs coming that the prediction is that there will be a movement away from diesels to petrol engines to meet the new standards. Also dont forget diesel is subsidized in the EU. Diesels will have a tough time meeting the new standards.

Diesel has its place in HD pick ups. You never get back the cost difference between a diesel 2014 GC Limited and a 3.6L V6 2014 GC Limited in 10 years. Might be closer with the V8.
You will get back most of or all of the cost difference when you go to trade in or sell your GC Diesel. I just traded in my 2005 Excursion Diesel on my new GC Diesel and it was worth $4ooo more than if it had been a gaser, about the same difference as when I bought it. One of the things I miss most about that modified Excursion is being able to "roll coal" and really piss off people like Dave. BTW I bet Dave believes in global warming, algore, and the tooth fairy.
n5mpllc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5mpllc View Post
You will get back most of or all of the cost difference when you go to trade in or sell your GC Diesel.

That depends, as diesels are a small specialty market in the US. When you find the right buyer, they are conditioned to expect to pay more. In other words, it takes longer to sell a diesel these days, even in a PU truck. Then you can't give away a diesel that developed long term reliability issues as they are just too expensive to keep fixing.

If you like diesels and need one, buy one. Any economic justification is just rationalizing your decision, doesn't make that much of a difference long term. You can certain pick and choose whatever you want to make you feel you've done the right thing.

In the US lots of folks use fuel oil to heat homes (and utilities use it to generate electricity) and fuel oil comes out the same refinery tap as Diesel fuel. That has more economic influence (supply/demand) than any perceived tax advantage.

This tuning thread is getting a little off topic, arguments about the merits of diesel engines should be in another thread.
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAPIE4 View Post
I am about to take delivery of my 2014 WK2 diesel and was wondering if someone has any suggestion/ experience with any after market tuning options (via chip tuning or so).
Get a hold of green diesel engineering as they are a known tuner here in the US. They do not have a tune for the WK2 yet but are most likely to do so. I would not trust the plug in tuners such as Diablo, Bully Dog, etc. on these engines as those tuners go the cheap route and do the tricks to get more power but often at the reliability of the engine. Whereas GDE spends a lot of time and effort custom tuning it for the application and leaving a much better safety threshold to minimize abuse. GDE is active here on JF in the WK and Liberty for the CRDs.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Climate Change

Quote:
You will get back most of or all of the cost difference when you go to trade in or sell your GC Diesel. I just traded in my 2005 Excursion Diesel on my new GC Diesel and it was worth $4ooo more than if it had been a gaser, about the same difference as when I bought it. One of the things I miss most about that modified Excursion is being able to "roll coal" and really piss off people like Dave. BTW I bet Dave believes in global warming, algore, and the tooth fairy.
If I have to meet emission regs with yearly tests for my petrol engine then sorry so should diesels. Simple. Problem is stupid f*cks like you ruin things for everyone when they roll coal. Yearly emission tests should be a requirement nationwide for both diesel and petrol engines.

With todays technology we should be able to have both hp and torque and a clean environment.

My only problem with Greens is there are billions of Chinese and Indians polluting to the max and I dont want to lower my standard of living to pollute less when it wont do anything for the environment.

Yeah rolling coal helps promote diesel as green alternative. Moron!
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Their tune may cause problems with US CRD and emissions.

Nice that we have posters who want to throw more soot out so the rest of us get cancer etc.

...so says the guy running a car from the 70's
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

So if the argument is that gas direct injection makes more particulate emmissions, is that 2002ti actually dirtier, the same or cleaner than the modern engines? hmmm.....
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
n5mpllc

Quote:
If I have to meet emission regs with yearly tests for my petrol engine then sorry so should diesels. Simple. Problem is stupid f*cks like you ruin things for everyone when they roll coal. Yearly emission tests should be a requirement nationwide for both diesel and petrol engines.

With todays technology we should be able to have both hp and torque and a clean environment.

My only problem with Greens is there are billions of Chinese and Indians polluting to the max and I dont want to lower my standard of living to pollute less when it wont do anything for the environment.

Yeah rolling coal helps promote diesel as green alternative. Moron!
Yeah Dave what we really need is more government intrusion and regulation in our lives in the form of national emission testing requirements. The government is oh so good at fixing everything. I thankfully do not live in a nanny state that requires any emmision tests.
And no I am not rolling coal to promote diesel as a silly green alternative but rather to have fun and piss off all of the greenie wienies.
BTW most greenies and environmentalists are hypocrites as stated in the two posts above this one
n5mpllc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
So if the argument is that gas direct injection makes more particulate emmissions, is that 2002ti actually dirtier, the same or cleaner than the modern engines? hmmm.....

Your new Turbodiesel with DEF and even my 08 CRD are both cleaner than that POS Bimmer. You could eat off the tailpipe of my CRD... not a trace of soot. My 98 Wrangler OTH... nice little ring around it.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
SCAPIE4

Hi any one tested any chips on their new 14 Ecodiesel?
SCAPIE4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
zr2s10
2012 WK 

zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

The EPA is the fly in the ointment these days with regards to tuners providing tunes/equipment for DPF/EGR/Urea delete. Then comes the issue around here with annual inspections. My ram is only subject to a "safety inspection", so about 100 pounds of "green equipment" sits in my garage!

I'm gonna leave the GC bone stock!
NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
And no I am not rolling coal to promote diesel as a silly green alternative but rather to have fun and piss off all of the greenie wienies.
BTW most greenies and environmentalists are hypocrites as stated in the two posts above this one
While I would agree virtually any more government regulation is often the beginning of the end, I have to say the overwhelming consensus on the Cummins Forum regarding "rolling coal" is that practice is what keeps the diesels under scrutiny.

My 6.7 is tuned to run very clean, and it doesn't smoke, even with all the emissions crap removed.

Again, I'm not breaking balls with regards to rolling coal, however I do feel it doesn't help the diesel cause, if you will.
NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
zr2s10
2012 WK 

If BioDiesel were more prevalant in my area (and at a decent cost), I would definitely consider the diesel for my next truck or GC. BioDiesel stands a better chance than any other alternative fuels I've seen. And so it's somewhat on topic, lol, do you need a tuner to run that? I know very little about running a diesel, they're pretty much a curiosity for myself at this point. I thought about a WK diesel, but my wife wanted the WK2.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.