Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
SCAPIE4

Tuning the new ecoDiesel, suggestions

I am about to take delivery of my 2014 WK2 diesel and was wondering if someone has any suggestion/ experience with any after market tuning options (via chip tuning or so).

SCAPIE4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
SCAPIE4

Hi did some google search and saw the following tuners that have chips for our new WK2 2014 Ecodiesel:

Racechip
Steinbauer
Bluespark

Any suggestions or experience with any of the above or more?
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Most folks in another forum are discussing or using Bluespark. Do read the language that Chrysler has used relative to tuning and warranty coverage and make your decision accordingly.
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
diverb

2014 WK 

Jim,
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a tuner that will allow me to remove the DPF and EGR so I don't get the fuel oil dilution problem that is common with the newer emissions crap on the diesels. I have spoken via phone to several companies (H&S, Mark Malone Tuning, Bully Dog, Custom Spooling) offering my Jeep for beta testing, but each said they have no plans on doing anything for the jeep diesel due to they don't know how popular the Jeep diesel will be. My guess is they don't want to spend the time & money for R&D if the Jeep diesel doesn't sell well or only has a 2 or 3 year run time.

I'm not claiming to be any kind of diesel expert, but I have seen first hand how much better the diesels run without that soot cooker on it. My 07 Dodge was getting 23mpg and I put 147,000 miles on it without a single problem. My 2013 VW Jetta TDi got 43 stock on the highway, and once I removed that soot cooker and got it tuned I was getting 48-51mpg on the highway at 75mph! My 2012 Dodge dully stock got 11mpg and now that its all tuned, I see 19 on the highway.
I think with some tuning and a few parts falling off the Jeep diesel, I think 33-35mpg is achievable with good driving habits
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
SCAPIE4

From my inquires Steinbauer and Racechip offer chip options for the Ecodiesel. Does anyone have any experience with either or any other suggestions.
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
jaje
2007 WK 

Contact Green Diesel Engineering as they have a tune for the WK CRD that disables the swirl motor and EGR which are common failure points. They have an Eco Tune (376ft lbs bumped up to 465 ft lbs and a gain of 2 mpg due to better tuning) and a Hot Tune (even more) with also a DPF delete option.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
SCAPIE4

Unfortunately Green Diesel Engineering do not have one for the WK2 Ecodiesel
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAPIE4 View Post
Unfortunately Green Diesel Engineering do not have one for the WK2 Ecodiesel
Not at this time but that doesn't mean they won't make one in the future and someone could be their guinea pig. Their product is superior to the plug in / chips that most others sell as it gives a safe increase in power and fuel mileage with little to no affect on the engines longevity.
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
Buffomarinus
2013 WK 

I have the 2013 CRD but I have had no first hand experience with this engine tune kit yet but this is the most popular one here in Australia for this vehicle. Getting good reviews.
http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/bluespark_pro
Buffomarinus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
classyjeeper

I saw this one:

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/3318/
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
SCAPIE4

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyjeeper View Post
The whole presentation of the product looks a bit "cheap" to me. Do you have any experience with this make?
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
classyjeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAPIE4
The whole presentation of the product looks a bit "cheap" to me. Do you have any experience with this make?
Nope,

Just saw on the good old net while searching for tuning suggestions.
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

UK based

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyjeeper View Post
Their tune may cause problems with US CRD and emissions.

Nice that we have posters who want to throw more soot out so the rest of us get cancer etc.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
jaje
2007 WK 

Hi Anti Diesel Dave - Read up on this factoid: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AQ0TN20131127

Quote:
New [gas direct injection] car engines emit more harmful particles than predecessors: study
BRUSSELS Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:44am EST
(Reuters) - New-generation petrol engines of passenger cars emit about 1,000 times more particles, including carcinogens, than traditional petrol engines, a study by German researchers showed.

Faced with strict CO2 limits, carmakers have downsized engines to cut emissions and new gasoline direct injection (GDI) petrol engines may be in almost all new petrol cars sold in Europe by the end of the decade, the Brussels-based Transport & Environment think-tank said in a research paper on Wednesday.

However, Germany's TUeV Nord independent vehicle researchers said in a study that GDI engines emit about 1,000 times more particles, including harmful carcinogens, than conventional petrol engines, and 10 times more than new diesel engines.

Increased emissions of harmful substances are caused by GDI engines operating with higher pressure in their cylinders, tending to produce a greater amount of the particles, according to Hanover-based TUeV Nord.

"Cars are the largest source of air pollution in Europe's cities and 90 percent of European citizens are already exposed to harmful levels of particle pollution," Greg Archer, clean vehicles manager at Transport & Environment, said in the report.

"More fuel-efficient, lower CO2 GDI engines would be a great innovation if they did not emit harmful particles. These particles can be eliminated for the price of a hands-free kit," Archer said.
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

I have to say that is provoking, hadn't heard that before. Granted, they are comparing to modern diesels with DPFs I would assume, so part of the original point regarding removing the particulate filter sort of still stands. But you bring up an important issue - I thought I followed the automotive industry pretty well and hadn't heard that, will have to read more about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.