Tree Sap, Ah!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tree Sap, Ah!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Napoleon1982

Tree Sap, Ah!!

My brand new JGC has some dried tree sap spots on the front hood that I did not notice for several days. Not a lot, maybe 8 drops, but it is really stuck on there now! High pressure spraying won't work and scrubbing it gently isn't helping much either. I don't want to damage the paint, but I want to make sure I get these spots off soon to prevent long term damage to the pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? I've heard everything from mineral spirits, tar remover, WD-40... so I am turning to the members of this forum for some input.

Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I would try car wax
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
OverlandOne
2014 WK 

Google it
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

We used fuel cleaner additive to get rid of tree sap at the detail shop I worked at. Go onto the paint and body forum here and ask around too. I'm not 100% sure about what brand it was but it came in a skinny yellow bottle from a local auto parts store. And all we did was make a penny sized drop on a cloth then gently work into the sap it seemed to work but we had to quickly wipe the area clean as to not let the chemical work itself into the paint. Look around for better options before using the fuel cleaner there's probably something better.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
NYFDWK2
2014 WK 

Spray some brake cleaner on a cloth and rub it in on the tree sap. Once it is off, wash the area immediately and apply wax over the area. The break clean will clean off the tree sap and some of the protective wax so you want to apply another coat over the area cleaned.
NYFDWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Barry45RPM

You can use VM&P Naptha available in paint stores/Home Depot/Lowes (Qt or Gallon). It is the same as Bug & Tar Remover & Ronsonol Lighter fluid (not Butane) it will also remove the wax on the car but not hurt paint. When dabbed on fabrics, it is an amazing dirt/stain remover. (Acts like a Dry Cleaning Fluid)

IT IS NOT GOOD ON VINYL, PLASTIC OR LEATHER AS IT REMOVES ALL THE OILS FROM THESE THINGS.

Great on carpet stains, removing gum from carpet and tar from cars on metal or carpet. If you get it on your fingers it will make them white & dry till the oils are replaced, but won't hurt the skin.
naphtha.jpg

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-18-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Barry45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

When you have burnt on gunk in a pan, if you try and clean it right away its very difficult and you wont get everything off, but if you let it soak with a little dish soap to soften the gunk in the pan it works like a charm. Please instead of trying to use very aggressive chemicals to do the job try the least aggressive first and give it a chance to work, let it break down the sap, mineral spirits, WD40(mostly mineral spirits), acetone, will not damage the clear coat in short bursts just don't rub too hard and neutralize afterwards, lighter fluid, bug &tar(not always strong enough)... But give them a chance to saturate before scrubbing you should be able to almost wipe it away with ease if you wait the right time. By now the sap has eaten threw whatever protection that was there and all of these product remove wax and are no good for finishes so clean and wax after. Always a good polish and wax, or if you encounter sap often a sealer is your best protection, it won't stop the adhesion just limit the stuck factor.
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
46er
2014 WK 

Mineral spirits, then wash and wax the area.
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFDWK2 View Post
Spray some brake cleaner on a cloth and rub it in on the tree sap. Once it is off, wash the area immediately and apply wax over the area. The break clean will clean off the tree sap and some of the protective wax so you want to apply another coat over the area cleaned.
Brake cleaner also works great for destroying your paint!! Since there are so many SAFE ways to remove tree sap, I can't imagine why someone would risk damaging their paint using brake cleaner.

Tree sap removal products available from Amazon, just to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...mo%2Caps%2C306
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Acery
2014 WK 

RAIN-X takes it right off.

Had it on my 2000 solara. Used it back in the early 2000's.

The car is still on the road and no damage to the paint.
Acery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
mx71
2013 WK 

Goof off/Goo Gone
mx71 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
kkreit01

Stoner Tarminator, or clay bar. Use something that's made for automotive paint.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
AtomicJoe
2014 WK 

I live in a fairly hot area of the USA so I would often just wait for the hottest part of the day and go wipe it off when it was warm and melty.
AtomicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

To be brief and mildly inaccurate rainX is alcohol and silicones, and you're much better off without using those types of silicones on the paint, if you do wash with dawn after or wipe with 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove the extra stuff and then wax. Irony. Almost all of the recommendations will work and are good ideas, but they share the irony of being at their base one of three or four identical base ingredients, why mot just get rid of the extra stuff.

Tarminator is petroleum distilate(mineral spirits or other light 'oil'), xylene(great for octane boosters and as a base stock for gasoline it does clean very well, alphatic hydrocarbons, the roughand tumble group of oil byproducts, citrus to cover the smell, and carbon Dioxide as a propellant.. I like stoner products too, but you'd be just as well off going to Home Depot and buying mineral spirits and a getting a lemon. But it comes in a can already. One $8 liter of mineral spirits on your shelf will last years and replace a dozen fancy cans.

Just to fair, I own and have used all of the stuff I talk about as I love gimmicks and the latest and greatest products,I have over 40 bottles of wax in my shop from being curious, $10-20+ to "test" and have some fun is fine with me. I own every BS late night tv product too, but I till end up going back to the original stuff for the problems that where solved long before me.. Think how many new formulas are actually new or new to you.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
DSYLEXC

From experience, "Goo Gone" early in the morning before it gets hot outside, and only in small amounts to the sap area...then use soap to wash the Goo Gone off completely. Works wonders.
DSYLEXC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.