transmission when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission when cold

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
acidsnow
2014 WK 

transmission when cold

in my 2014 limited, is it normal to have a hard shift between 1-2 gear first thing in the morning when its cold out? after I drive for 5 min its fine after that . . . ?

acidsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
2kg4u
2014 WK 

I had the same thing happen with my 2014 V6 Overland last winter. Almost like it was revving in neutral for a brief moment between 1st and 2nd gear, and would go away after 5 minutes or so. I had the transmission control module flashed for the updates a week and a half ago, but it is not cold enough to see if the problem has gone away or not. Do you have the V6? Have you taken in it for TSB 21-007-13 re-flash of the TCM? Here is a link to the bulletin:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/Tsb_wk2_2100713c.pdf
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
acidsnow
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
I had the same thing happen with my 2014 V6 Overland last winter. Almost like it was revving in neutral for a brief moment between 1st and 2nd gear, and would go away after 5 minutes or so. I had the transmission control module flashed for the updates a week and a half ago, but it is not cold enough to see if the problem has gone away or not. Do you have the V6? Have you taken in it for TSB 21-007-13 re-flash of the TCM? Here is a link to the bulletin:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/Tsb_wk2_2100713c.pdf
I have the v6, if you are in windsor I'm in kitchener, so we got the same temps . . . and it happened today in the morning and after noon. If you didn't feel it today I would assume its gone for you . . .

I'm kinda skeptical about getting the TCM updated because it is shifting well otherwise . . . I'm only saying this because I had a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk that I went and updated the trans software and it was never quite right after that . . .
Unread 10-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidsnow View Post
in my 2014 limited, is it normal to have a hard shift between 1-2 gear first thing in the morning when its cold out? after I drive for 5 min its fine after that . . . ?
I had it this morning, temp was mid 30's. Did not have it happen with temps in the 40's. Not something I would bring it in for.
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
acidsnow
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46er View Post
I had it this morning, temp was mid 30's. Did not have it happen with temps in the 40's. Not something I would bring it in for.
Did you have any of the TSB's done?
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Welcome but please search this topic (an participate in those threads) as it has been thoroughly discussed here.

You have company (and some possible fixes) for your issues within those threads.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
I'm kinda skeptical about getting the TCM updated because it is shifting well otherwise . . . I'm only saying this because I had a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk that I went and updated the trans software and it was never quite right after that . . .

Before I got the TCM updated I would routinely turn ECO mode off every time I got in the vehicle. Now that the TCM has been updated the shift patterns in ECO mode are much more acceptable, and I have been leaving it in ECO. Despite your experience with the Cherokee I would get the update if I were you.
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
acidsnow
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Welcome but please search this topic (an participate in those threads) as it has been thoroughly discussed here.

You have company (and some possible fixes) for your issues within those threads.
thank you for your suggestion, I attempted a search and didn't find the information I required, if you could be so kind could you point me in the right direction? thank you
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
acidsnow
2014 WK 

more searching turned up 21-007-13 REV. C can anybody confirm this is a good update? is this all I should suggest to the dealer?
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
more searching turned up 21-007-13 REV. C can anybody confirm this is a good update? is this all I should suggest to the dealer?

Service advisers hate to be handed a TSB. It is most effective if state your symptoms, which should match the TSB, and then let them figure it out.

Here is a good start on forum member discussion on this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ilure-1566831/
Unread 10-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Did you have any of the TSB's done?
None at all, although I do not know what was done in prep for delivery. My dealer is very thorough, but I doubt they would put a TSB on without any reason to. I will wait till the cold settles in and see if it is an issue for me, right now it isn't.
Unread 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
acidsnow
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Service advisers hate to be handed a TSB. It is most effective if state your symptoms, which should match the TSB, and then let them figure it out.

Here is a good start on forum member discussion on this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ilure-1566831/
The dealers in this area are VERY bad a diagnosing issues, if I don't blatantly point it out it will be over looked every single time.
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:

The dealers in this area are VERY bad a diagnosing issues, if I don't blatantly point it out it will be over looked every single time.
Gotcha. I'm lucky with a pretty good dealer and an excellent service mgr. Good luck.
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:

That is the correct update. I brought a copy of the service bulletin, handed it to the service writer at the dealer, and told her I had drive-ability issues in ECO mode and a hard 1-2 shift when cold. She thanked me and they did the flash. I see no issues with bringing TSB's with you to the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.