Transmission Shudder - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Shudder

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #106
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguide View Post
I have been following this post for months and I guess I am lucky I do not have this condition. If I need a downshift I gently press down and it shifts down and goes. I have no tugging or fish bite. I guess this is a small percentige of owners with this but many are upset, and I understand. I use 85 Octane fuel and have the Hemi. In mountain driving this thing is great, shifts perfect. I now have 22K on a 2012 and really enjoy the truck. Sorry for all those with this problem. I can't figure out the difference between trucks.
I don't think its a a fuel problem.
Truck runs fine on 85 octane; also runs fine under load.

The problem arises around the 65 to 75 mph range.

Feels like a shudder.
Hard to figure if its driveline/transmission/MDS etc.

Dealer in my area thinks its the MDS system, they acknowlege it but can't fix it.

Who knows!.

Kinda crappy tho...I read that the folks with the new 8 speed transmission don't have this issue.

LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #107
rjrobinson3

Angry

I just spoke with Chrysler customer service. The release date is now tentatively September 2013.
rjrobinson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #108
Wasatchwk2
2013 WK 

I have the 2013 gc, 5.7. It shifts fine, however, im getting the fishbite or tugging. It seems to slightly happen after a longer travel and does it from a stop or when slightly press the gas. After reading this I'm hesitant to even take it in. Does anyone have any more info on this? After reading all this I don't feel as crazy!
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #109
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatchwk2 View Post
I have the 2013 gc, 5.7. It shifts fine, however, im getting the fishbite or tugging. It seems to slightly happen after a longer travel and does it from a stop or when slightly press the gas. After reading this I'm hesitant to even take it in. Does anyone have any more info on this? After reading all this I don't feel as crazy!
That's strange ...
Mine runs fine under load /accelleration (flies like a bat out of hell).
I hope that's not what happens when the mileage goes up .

Mmmmmmm!.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #110
BoostCreep
2012 WK 

Mine does the tugging bit after long runs on the hiway. It's not bad, but noticeable. I have a '12 with only 9,000 miles on it.
BoostCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #111
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobinson3 View Post
I just spoke with Chrysler customer service. The release date is now tentatively September 2013.
^^ That's true - for the "fishbite" issue.

Here'a a "new" service bulletin for other issues:

NUMBER: 21-006-13
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: July 25, 2013
SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Performance Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2009 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2009 - 2010 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International)
2009 - 2010 (XK) Commander
2009 - 2010 (XH) Commander (International)
2011 - 2012 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZH).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A small number of customers may experience any of the following:
Erratic or inconsistent initial 2-3 upshift(3-4 upshift on 2012 MY vehicles)
Sluggish performance during low speed/rolling stop maneuvers(2012 MY vehicles only)
Transmission Enhancements are also included with this software release. These changes include the following:
Enhanced torque converter lock-up schedule to reduce transmission operating temperatures(2009 MY vehicles only)
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #112
rjrobinson3

The supposed software update for the fishbite issue has been pushed back so many times, I am beginning to wonder if it will ever actually be released. There's no way of knowing what type of priority this is for them. It seems like they should've been able to figure this out over a 2 year period. It seems to be affecting a large number of vehicles.

Lee... Do you have any idea how firm the September release date is?

Last edited by rjrobinson3; 07-25-2013 at 06:08 PM..
rjrobinson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #113
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobinson3 View Post
The supposed software update for the fishbite issue has been pushed back so many times, I am beginning to wonder if it will ever actually be released. There's no way of knowing what type of priority this is for them. It seems like they should've been able to figure this out over a 2 year period. It seems to be affecting a large number of vehicles.

Lee... Do you have any idea how firm the September release date is?
From what I've been reading here, your post answered your question. Don't hold your breath on this one.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #114
mehow

When I took my car into dealer for the transmission rough shifting they told me that the car is learning your driving habits so it will have the shutter/rough shifting from time to time. I have the '14 grand cherokee 5.7L
mehow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #115
biker2k
2012 WK 

this "ADAPTIVE TRANSMISION" bs annoys the **** out of me..
I should learn how to drive the car not the other way around ...
otherwise the transmission is always "LEARNING" AND NEVER CONSISTANT!
just make the car work right and then I CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT!
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #116
mehow

This is all done so that ppl bring the cars in for repairs to make $$$
mehow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #117
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2k View Post
this "ADAPTIVE TRANSMISION" bs annoys the **** out of me..
I should learn how to drive the car not the other way around ...
otherwise the transmission is always "LEARNING" AND NEVER CONSISTANT!
just make the car work right and then I CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT!
Unless Congress kills CAFE program its only going to get worse as your govt forces automakers to hit benchmark mpgs. If folks want fuel efficient vehicles than they should buy them the govt should not be in the business of mandating fuel mileage. A rational energy program along with a a rational foreign policy would have a gallon of regular gas selling for about $2.50 a gallon at the pump and would end our dependence on oil from the Arab and other not so friendly countries.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #118
biker2k
2012 WK 

not for nothing man...
but you really have to give your politics a rest...
I have driven other new cars (Yukon and sequoia) both with big motors that dont have any of these issues... this is a jeep issue not a govt issue..
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #119
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2k View Post
not for nothing man...
but you really have to give your politics a rest...
I have driven other new cars (Yukon and sequoia) both with big motors that dont have any of these issues... this is a jeep issue not a govt issue..
+1!

Rob
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #120
arkybobbie
2011 WK 

Wk Grand Cherokee Overland summit shudder

I bought a 2011 GCO Summit new in April, 2011. It had a shudder when driving at speeds of 35-60 mph. The dealership admitted early that they had no idea what the problem was and therefore, no fix.
Wrote to Chrysler CEO and was assigned a "person" to oversee repair of my Jeep. Many conversations and trips to various dealers, Chrysler replaced the transmission with a new complete transmission at 12,000 miles.
The problem became more pronounced and happened more frequently. Another letter to the CEO and Chrysler dispatched a "tech" from Dallas. He drove the Jeep and said the problem was the MDS, Switching from 8 to 4 cylinders and back (avg of 20 times/min). He could not explain why the front tires were worn slick in 16000 miles. I explained that my theory was that there was a faulty sensor on the "On Demand " 4 wheel drive system. That is the only explanation for the abnormal wear on the front and rear tires. I replaced the two front tires and had a qualified alignment shop check the front alignment and it was within Chrysler specs. The alignment tech said in 38 years he had not seen a wear pattern on any vehicle like that and had no suggestion as to the cause.
I am thoroughly convinced after more than two years (20000 miles) driving the jeep that my problem is that the "On Demand" 4 wheel drive system is trying to kick in on small inclines under load. Accelerate and the shudder goes away.
Chrysler tech answer, "do no ever let the Jeep get under load".

Last edited by arkybobbie; 07-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: mistakes in typing
arkybobbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.