Transmission Shudder - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Shudder

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #91
JeepCares

Here's the STAR Case referenced above (post #88):

Case Number: S1118000038
Release Date: 02/21/2013
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Surge Or FishBite (Tug-Pull Sensation) Sometimes Felt On Smooth Roads Between 40 - 80 MPH Accelerating
Discussion:
Some customers may voice a concern that there is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fish-bite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the engine under load, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.
New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by July, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2011, 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles.
Recommend that these Customers use 89 Octane as their fuel. This condition is significantly reduced with 89 octane fuel.
The Owner Manual does recommend 89 Octane fuel for best performance.

Unread 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #92
JMP8562

Thanks for the Update.. I have used 89 oct from day one, I wonder if i use 87 or 92 it would be Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Surge Or FishBite (Tug-Pull Sensation) Sometimes Felt On Smooth Roads Between 40 - 80 MPH Accelerating
Discussion:
Some customers may voice a concern that there is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fish-bite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the engine under load, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.
New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by July, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2011, 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles.
Recommend that these Customers use 89 Octane as their fuel. This condition is significantly reduced with 89 octane fuel.
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #93
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

on V6's

When my rear drive shaft failed and was replaced this also seems to have taken care of the transmission issues I was having around 2000rpm. Trannie shifts a lot smoother and doesnt hunt or surge. All I know was the driveshaft was replaced. Not sure what esle was done when the dealers had my 2012 GC. Driveshaft began to go at about 11K miles.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #94
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Discussion:
Wow.. I've had this issue for 2 years.. and now our proposed release date is July 2013. If I keep driving it, my mileage on my jeep will be over 100k at that time and I seriously doubt anyone will do the TSB without charge. I am for damn sure not going over the 100k powertrain warranty without this resolution. We own some land adjacent to the dealership that I purchased my 2011. I'm considering putting it on a trailer and parking it with a huge "LEMON" banner. My service manager has been a d**k about it anyways. The Jeep Cares representative advised me to call back in March (after the proposed release date of Feb 2013 had passed, etc) and demand that something happen.... and now I'm on hold with them - haha.

The gas thing makes no difference for anyone that is wondering. I've tried everything fuel wise - no help at all. I even bumped to 93oct for 3 weeks and still hopped all the way up hills.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #95
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP8562 View Post
Thanks for the Update.. I have used 89 oct from day one, I wonder if i use 87 or 92 it would be Worse
I use 92 oct. and the tranny seems exactly the same as when I had 87 oct. in the tank, including the, "fish-bite". So IDK, but I hope the flash will help anyway - guess we'll find out ... !?

Rob
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #96
ButchLathan

Transmission shutter

I believed the District Manager for Western North Carolina when he told me in October the fix would be ready in February. I believed Orlando, a customer service rep who said he is my "sole customer service contact with Chrysler Jeep," when he called in December to tell me the fix would be available in February. I believed the local dealer when he called in January to tell me the flash would be installed in February, Why would I ever believe what Jeep Cares or anybody else connected with Chrysler had to say now?

Last edited by ButchLathan; 03-27-2013 at 08:19 AM..
ButchLathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #97
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Can't blame you Butch.....who wouldn't feel that way?
If I had a similar issue & was getting the same runaround, it would definitely be my first & last Jeep.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #98
doz
2012 WK 

WHy would you even try a different octane? How would the octane rating have ANY effect on the transmission? Thats a poor excuse for a fix right there. To boot, why arent you running 89? It calls for 89 and you run 87???? Probably getting a bit of KR. You get KR with the stock engine and the recommended octane. I couldnt imagine running less.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #99
oldmac1
2014 WK 

Had this same problem on my 2005 Grand which I kept for a year and sold it due to this problem. Drove me crazy. That is now a 8 year problem that I know of and still exists. My 09 Grand and now my 11 Grand will act up on 87 octane but runs much better on 89 octane. My wife's 08 Liberty had this problem and her 2012 Liberty does not so I gather it is fixable and it runs on 87 octane. Just to compound the issue my 07 300C did not have this problem at all. Must be a Jeep thing.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #100
doz
2012 WK 

Did all the vehicles have the 5.7L hemi oldmac? The issue is with the 5.7 w/ RE545 tranny.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #101
RichWK2
2012 WK 

Fishbite Hemi Shudder

Quote:
JeepCares- Any updates as to the release of this TSB? Thanks in advance!
RichWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #102
chobart

So I sent Chrysler a certified letter documenting 3 dealer visits and requesting assistance under SC lemon law. Chrysler responded that they have spoken with the dealer and determined that the vehicle is operating as intended and they consider the case closed. Goodbye Jeep Hello Toyota. I refuse to be frustrated by this issue for 4 1/2 more years. Best of luck to the rest of you.
chobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #103
tdbmd

Has this issue only been with the 5.7 liter motors, not the 3.6?
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #104
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobart View Post
So I sent Chrysler a certified letter documenting 3 dealer visits and requesting assistance under SC lemon law. Chrysler responded that they have spoken with the dealer and determined that the vehicle is operating as intended and they consider the case closed. Goodbye Jeep Hello Toyota. I refuse to be frustrated by this issue for 4 1/2 more years. Best of luck to the rest of you.
I don't know what the proper procedure is, but I wouldn't be contacting Chrysler for assistance in lemon law on the vehicle they built. They did exactly what one would expect them to do. Unless of course sending them the documented letter asking for assistance is the first step required. Are you pursuing other avenues to get the ball rolling? I'm assuming your state should have a website in regards to how to pursue this. Good luck.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #105
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I have been following this post for months and I guess I am lucky I do not have this condition. If I need a downshift I gently press down and it shifts down and goes. I have no tugging or fish bite. I guess this is a small percentige of owners with this but many are upset, and I understand. I use 85 Octane fuel and have the Hemi. In mountain driving this thing is great, shifts perfect. I now have 22K on a 2012 and really enjoy the truck. Sorry for all those with this problem. I can't figure out the difference between trucks.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.