Transmission Shudder - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Shudder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I think you are on to something. WOW. Thanks! Come on Jeep, how could you do this?

Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

This is funny in a sad sort of way. The last model does the exact same thing (my 05 does it). We have also heard it was a torque converter thing but I honestly believe it's the cylinder management system. I wonder if anyone with the V6, the diesel or the SRT8 has the same problem. If so-that rules out the cylinder management system.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
rockit
2012 WK 

I only see this on v8 hemi is this true?
rockit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteelJP View Post
This is funny in a sad sort of way. The last model does the exact same thing (my 05 does it). We have also heard it was a torque converter thing but I honestly believe it's the cylinder management system. I wonder if anyone with the V6, the diesel or the SRT8 has the same problem. If so-that rules out the cylinder management system.
I only feel it up hill when it won't even think about 4 cyl mode. About 45 MPH. The tranny is so smooth I can't tell if it downshifted but I get shudder. I can live with it because it is not as bad as others have experienced, but I hope to be in the fix!

With a six speed, it should have down shifted. If I press down on the skinny pedal, it takes off in a lower gear, kind of abruptly.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
mike79

My 09kk has been doing the exact same thing since purchase. 5 repair attempts since and I give up. (under load, up hill for instance at 45-50mph). Just thought I would share.
mike79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
padgett
2012 WK 

On a Buick 3800 that is classic ignition breakdown. 45-50/moderate load (not enough to downshift or PE)/top-locked is worst case on ignition & secondary (high voltage) breakdown often will not set a code. Just a thought but have you tried a new set of plugs ?

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #37
Mcarlson

Fixed it!!!

I have a 2011 5.7 and mine has had the exact same issues as listed. My dealer received a star case and it was applied two days ago. What they did was add an isolater in the front differential, it was in the shop for a day and a half (they said it was a major job). Low and behold they actually fixed it!!!
Mcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
tophs
2012 WK 

This might be coming from left field, but I had a f-150 years ago with a very similar problem, if I understand what you all are suffering from. There was a quick fix - a complete purge of the trans. fluid. After that it ran fine. Might be way off base but if this can help in any to help you all . . . . .
tophs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
GreyGoose
2012 WK 

The Jeep went into the dealer on Friday -complete with a letter detailing issues and some leads culled from Jeep forums from everyone here who is experiencing the same shudder issues I have encountered. We waited all day and finally got a call to come pick it up as they said they could not find anything wrong with it. Turns out since no error codes were thrown by the system, they could not diagnose it! - Since the computer says nothing is wrong, and since there was not a TSB for a 2012 model JGC Overland (plenty of 2011 models though) they gave up trying. They never read the documentation I provided, or was even able to drive the truck on the open highway to experience the sensation, since the traffic in our area was too heavy that day on the roads they tried to drive - the shop foreman told me he was in bumper to bumper traffic the whole time, and did not feel it. No sh*t Sherlock! One tech blamed it on 87 octane gas, one thought it was "designed that way," and the service manager thought it was "strange" because it does not happen in the six cylinder versions other people have....Doh! We came away thinking that they just didn't care - I'll have to try again at another dealership or wait until it is spelled out in black and white from Chrysler in a TSB/Star Case. Better yet, I'll have the fix sent via text to them on their cell phones with a picture of a blonde in a bikini. That will guarantee they will read it. Good luck to you all.
GreyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #40
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Sounds to me like you need a new dealership. The first dealer I went to was like that. It makes a huge difference in who is looking at it. Suggest the tech ride with you to feel it.

Update: the engineers are working on mine. They've had it for 2 weeks now. I'm still swingin' the minivan. I have a case # with Chrysler, and have requested a rental vehicle with 4wd as its winter time and my job regularly requires me to be able to climb a mountain and deliver parts. I should hear back from them this morning.

They suggested my spark plugs needed changed. I told them to go ahead since i've been complaining about the issue long before the recommended mileage to change them. They opted out, apparently. haha... guess they figured that wasn't it.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #41
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

how conveinent of them. They seem to be placing the blame on my "oversize tires" which were installed late last month and are causing additional stress on the drivetrain. BAHA. I spoke with my case manager in detail about the timing of the tires and other 2 dealerships trying to fix the shudder since last may. He said he'd talk to the other dealers and confirm the tires were stock at that time. I also suggested he forward my case to the lemon law side of things as that is my only remaining option.

We'll see.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Update: The "lemon law" department should have called me back before the end of business today per my case manager. She called yesterday right after i picked up the jeep. The jeep has passed through the initial review and research at jeep for lemon law. We'll see what their response is in about 1-2 weeks. Per my service manager, this issue is noted with Chrysler on the 5.7L and 545 tranny combo and they are not seeing this shudder in the 2012s. The district rep (this makes 2 different reps) told him that it is not the only case of this shudder on the 2011s with the 5 spd. I just have a hard time believing someone that has never even ridden the vehicle telling me that this is a normal operation.

If Chrysler does not approve the lemon law replacement, I have already given my information to a lawyer that I deal with on a regular basis.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #43
hububub

wow old post, mine does it.. 2011 with a hemi, I just noticed it .. I do not ever drive it as its the wifes. If you put it in tow haul, the problem goes away, there fore I beleive its the lock up on the torque converter causing the issue. The dealers only have to attempt to fix it. If it is not a major drivability issue your lemon law status won't go far. They will just say it is performing as designed. The lemon law is there to help if they can't FIX the problem. You have no problem to fix per their experts... Good luck on that one!
hububub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #44
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hububub View Post
If it is not a major drivability issue your lemon law status won't go far. They will just say it is performing as designed. The lemon law is there to help if they can't FIX the problem. You have no problem to fix per their experts.
You might check into your state's law. VA law does not require the issue to be a "major drivability issue". Per the service managers (3) and technicians (>3), there is an issue. I don't know if you saw it or not, but the updates include:

Service managers (2 of them) said that Chrysler admits there is a software issue causing this shuddering/fishbite. It does relate to the lock in/out mechanism, but is believed to be software related. (back in feb) I examined the situation and decided that going through lawyers to lemon law it was not efficient for me. Due to mine being high mileage, buy back would just smack me in the face.

About two weeks ago, JeepCares (JF username) posted up some information about it. Software update to follow sometime this year.

The dealership that has taken care of mine the most had another wk2 that came in with 17k miles on it and the same problem. It was a 2011 5.7L. My issue began around that mileage. My service manager thought this might be related to the ecu programming. If this is something that develops and is software related, would a "reset" of the ecu help? Leaving the battery unplugged for an hour or so and refresh it? or does the wk2 prevent that from happening?
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #45
jvanrooy

I see it has been a couple months, any luck on a solution? We just bought a new 2012 hemi gc and it has minor "shudders" when lugging up a hill on the highway. Sounds like the problem you are having. approx 1800miles on it
jvanrooy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.