Transmission Shudder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Shudder

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
ckehl2
2012 WK 

Thank you for the update. I have 1400 miles on my 5.7 Overland, and "fishbite" as this tech calls it is a good explanation. Doesn't happen all the time, hard to pinpoint. I have not taken mine in. Waiting to see what is found with yours, then I'll have some idea of what it might be. Keep us posted.

ckehl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I have a 2012 Hemi and on a certain hill I get the shudder, most likely because it doesn't downshift on the hill. I'm always going 45MPH, posted speed. But I really don't get it like others have explained. On a trip on interstates I don't fell it ever. I guess mine is simply just before where it should downshift. Probably all to do with mileage.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckehl2 View Post
Thank you for the update. I have 1400 miles on my 5.7 Overland, and "fishbite" as this tech calls it is a good explanation. Doesn't happen all the time, hard to pinpoint. I have not taken mine in. Waiting to see what is found with yours, then I'll have some idea of what it might be. Keep us posted.
You need to take it in NOW. The earlier - the better. Added mileage appears to increase the things that it could be.

Mine happens pretttttttttty much any time its on a hill before downshifting.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
gator9329

let us know what develops. you are my case study for my dealership trip. I want to go in with all the info I can.
gator9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
GreyGoose
2012 WK 

I recently bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7) and I am also experiencing the same issues. Mine shudders/studders/chokes at @60 Mph on the open highway when I give it some gas, or when going up some slight inclines on the beltway. Drives me crazy - dealer said he has not heard of this problem yet, but it is going the shop on Friday.

Please keep us informed. Thanks.
GreyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose View Post
I recently bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7) and I am also experiencing the same issues. Mine shudders/studders/chokes at @60 Mph on the open highway when I give it some gas, or when going up some slight inclines on the beltway. Drives me crazy - dealer said he has not heard of this problem yet, but it is going the shop on Friday.

All these dealers keep saying that they never heard of it. I find that hard to believe. Let us know what your dealer finds.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose View Post
hurley02 -
Were the Chrysler guys there yet?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
hurley02 -
Were the Chrysler guys there yet?
I just called to check in on it. She said that they had already looked at it and were using STAR (waiting for a response from Chrysler). We should have an idea as to the next step tomorrow.

If this is taken care of, the next Jeep I purchase will definitely be from Friendship Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Bristol TN. It's amazing at how bad a service department will piss you off and lose the dealership business.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
l8tapex
2012 WK 

Hey guys can you all post RPM?
Also have you driven in 3rd, 4rth, 5th, 6th gears and in the same RPM range to see if it happens when trans is locked?
I read some history on the trans on how it uses two gears to make a third. One drum locks on to make the
6th. Something that was complicated but to that affect. Why they didn’t keep the proven 5 speed they are using on the SRT8 and just lower the over drive more. 4rth is one to one on both any way.

Sometimes transmission surge when searching because the load and high gear in too low an RPM. The trans doesn’t kick down (downshifts) when caught in no-mans land.
Just wondering out loud. I’m on heavy cold meds....
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #25
peckmv

Chrysler isin't going to do anything about this. Just wait for the aftermarket performance chips to come out. They will change the shift points and this problem will go away. The only downfall wil be gas mileage. Chrysler did this to comply with the governments mileage requirements. Its only going to get worse for people who need the power for towing and hauling. The government thinks that everyone should be in a Prius and we allow it. Rant off......Sorry.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02 View Post
It's amazing at how bad a service department will piss you off and lose the dealership business.
That is so true...
some dealers just don't get it
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #27
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tapex View Post
Hey guys can you all post RPM?
Also have you driven in 3rd, 4rth, 5th, 6th gears and in the same RPM range to see if it happens when trans is locked?
I read some history on the trans on how it uses two gears to make a third. One drum locks on to make the
6th. Something that was complicated but to that affect. Why they didnít keep the proven 5 speed they are using on the SRT8 and just lower the over drive more. 4rth is one to one on both any way.

Sometimes transmission surge when searching because the load and low gear in too low an RPM. The trans doesnít kick down (downshifts) when caught in no-mans land.
Just wondering out loud. Iím on heavy cold meds....
Mine is the 545RFE as it is a 2011 model. It also only happens in high gear (5th/OD).
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
l8tapex
2012 WK 

hur1ey02
Do you think the transmission shift is too slow and soft when it has this type of load? (They know that owners are going off road, up and down hills etc.)

In other words, in reality, you want a crisp, quick, firm (not hard) shift. It reduces the clutch chatter/slippage .Saves the clutch pack wear. Just wonder if the pump pressure or valve body needs to be tweaked.

Hope you guys let us know what the techs tell you.
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
JeepCares

hurley02 and GreyGoose-
any updates?
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
WXman
2001 WJ 

I have a $5 bill that says I know what the problem is.

The torque converter springs are not strong enough for the torque being applied to them.

This was a RAMPANT problem with the 05-06 Liberty CRDs with the 545RFE transmission. The diesel torque was so high that it caused a shudder in the driveline when the converter would attempt to stay locked up in overdrive. Jeep eventually started replacing torque converters... but obviously this did NOT fix the problem because every torque converter they replaced it with had the same parts inside!

Around 2010 or so, Jeep finally released an updated torque converter that had stronger dampener springs inside of it. This cured 95% of all complaints about shuddering with the driveline. There was a great thread with photos posted in the JK section a few weeks ago.. see if you can locate it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Those of us with JKs and the 42RLE are having similar issues. Chrysler transmissions are higher quality than they used to be...but the engineers are putting s*itty torque converters in front of them.

I'm betting the Hemi is putting out more power than the torque converter is happy with on these Grand Cherokees. The problem will never go away until a STRONGER torque converter is used. Good luck.

Edit: Here's the thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...-help-1318651/
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.