Transmission Shudder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Shudder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Transmission Shudder

Hey guys,

I'm sure some of you have seen my various posts related to the shudder in my Jeep's drivetrain. Two dealers seem stumped, and the "rep" suggested that a lot of people have been complaining and nobody has a fix or knows what the issue is. In an attempt to not get swept under the rug and shafted, I'm taking it to a 3rd dealer tomorrow. Here's the skinny...

2011 5.7L Jeep (June 2010 Build Date) symptoms:
1) Between 45 - 70 Mph, the jeep will shudder/miss/wobble (something?) when maintaining a speed, especially up embankments. My word would be shudder.
2) The RPMs do not change a noticeable amount per the tach.
3) Recently, it will also do the shudder when slightly accelerating (not requiring downshift) for 2-3 mph.
4) It appears to only do this in OD. If cruising, the shudder stops when it gears down. When using the manual shifter to see the gear, it's in 5th - so I assume it's shifting out of OD. The RPMs appear to always be under 2k when it happens.
5) ALL PCM, software, hardware, TSB updates have been applied, including the HEMI shudder issue.
6) When accelerating from a stop or just giving it hell, there is no weakness or shudder.

Dealership "Fixes" already performed:
1) TSBs
2) Torque Converter replace (dealership#1)
3) Additive (dealership #2)
4) MDS harness replace - swinging in the dark, I believe.
5) Only running 89+ octane fuel - no impact at all.
6) New driveshaft

All plugs and general items have been addressed and cleared. I have an appointment on the 10th at Dealership # 3 with the transmission tech as I think it is related to the OD gear.

Any suggestions, fellas? Any word of other issues with the 5spd? I think the rep was just blowing smoke as I don't recall significant issues with the transmissions on here or in the prior model years, especially since it was not the case earlier. Just trying to go in with some "hopes" for the third dealership.

2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

I think this is the fix for that: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100410a.pdf
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
rockit
2012 WK 

Possibly it's your drive shaft.
rockit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

All TSBs have been applied - no fixes.

Forgot to mention, when "fixing" the torque, they muffed the driveshaft up 3 times. I got multiple new driveshafts (and seals). No fix. I'll edit the first post to reflect that.

keep 'em coming!
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
JeepCares

hurley02 -

I can understand giving this third dealer a chance. All the dealers have access to Chrysler technical assistance; whether or not they choose to is up to them.

If this is not resolved and/or to make sure your concern doesn't get swept under the rug, contact Jeep at 877-IAMJEEP (877-426-5337) and have them open a case. You could even contact them by using the form at http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares. That way you could put in writing exactly what you think they should know and it's documented.

Make sure you keep all your paperwork.

Keep us updated.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
rockit
2012 WK 

Hope you get it worked out good luck.
rockit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
hurley02 -

I can understand giving this third dealer a chance. All the dealers have access to Chrysler technical assistance; whether or not they choose to is up to them.

If this is not resolved and/or to make sure your concern doesn't get swept under the rug, contact Jeep at 877-IAMJEEP (877-426-5337) and have them open a case. You could even contact them by using the form at http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares. That way you could put in writing exactly what you think they should know and it's documented.

Make sure you keep all your paperwork.

Keep us updated.
After reading your post, I actually made this call and was assigned a case #. I explained the situation, and she said that if nothing happened with dealer # 3, that she would escalate the case (just to call back). She had access to all of my records, so that made things a lot easier ont he phone haha.

Thanks again. I just want my jeep to feel like my other jeeps ... but this one has door hinges!
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justal13 View Post
Personally, I believe it is just a characteristic of modern transmissions, particularly when they have 5, 6 or 8 speeds. The 6-speed in my wifes car does the same thing. I find that the 8-speed (we have them in our fleet 2012 Chargers 3.6L) is even worse. Every 2011-12 GC 3.6L and 5.7L 5 and 6 speed in our company fleet does it to some extent. I know, I have driven most of them over the past 2 years as I am on the road every other week on average. The CVT in the 2006 Ford Freestyle that I traded for my 2012 GC would drive you nuts. My 3.6L 5-speed does this from time to time, usually as I am letting off the gas when the GC is near a shift-point. But it is not often enough or serious enough to let it bother me. I think the smoothness and quiet of the GC makes the "shudder" seem worse than it actually is. Be thankful you do not live in a city with a 25 mph speed limit and cops on every corner watching for speeders like we have here, because one of the shift points is right around 24-26 mph.
I respect your opinion, but I've test driven identical jeeps (4 of them, now) and none of them had anything even similar to this shudder. It doesn't happen upon shifting, and it isn't a natural motion for the transmission. Every technician that has ridden in it agrees, but nobody knows what is going on.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02

I respect your opinion, but I've test driven identical jeeps (4 of them, now) and none of them had anything even similar to this shudder. It doesn't happen upon shifting, and it isn't a natural motion for the transmission. Every technician that has ridden in it agrees, but nobody knows what is going on.
You are correct, it is NOT normal. The first 11 GC Hemi I test drive did it and it was bad. Mine has done it mildly twice in 25,000 miles. I was going to take it in to the dealer for a flash because I heard there was a tsb for it.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02 View Post
but this one has door hinges!
lol...
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB View Post
You are correct, it is NOT normal. The first 11 GC Hemi I test drive did it and it was bad. Mine has done it mildly twice in 25,000 miles. I was going to take it in to the dealer for a flash because I heard there was a tsb for it.
There is a reflash (TSB) for a shudder, but sadly, that did not fix mine at all. You may want to complain about the issue annnddd take a copy of the TSB to the dealer.

Until friday, fellas.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Joe_Joe
2012 WK 

I recently bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7) and I too experience the same issues. I dropped it off this morning to the dealer. Mine only has 1600 miles on it.
Joe_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Any news on yours, Joe Joe?

Anyone have an idea as to what would be the cause of the shudder?
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
padgett
2012 WK 

If you have tried everything else then what you need is a scan tool that can monitor the transmission state and see if it happens during lockup (trans issue) or with a moderate load/low rpm after lockup (ignition). This is the type of thing that requires diagnosis rather than throwing parts at it.

Have to remember that a moderate load (not enough to hit power enrichement), low rpm, max lean condition is "worst case" for ignition and will aggravate any tendancy to misfire while the lockup will make you feel every pulse.

Unread 02-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

UPDATE:

Friendship Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Bristol TN is having their district rep and zoom (??) rep come down early this week. They've given me a rental for the time being. The transmission tech called it "fishbite" which is honestly a great way to describe my shudder. Ya know, when the fish is just nibbling on your bait... It is actually a good description! haha

He said it felt like the torque but since it had been replaced and I'd been to multiple dealers trying to get help, he felt more comfortable getting Chrysler involved. He also said that an injector could be mis-spraying causing a slight miss with less than 200 RPM drop and not causing an engine light.

The good news is they're trying... and trying more than the other dealers. The bad news is "it could be a lot of things" causing that shudder.

We'll see. Until then, props to Friendship CJD.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.