Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission problems coming

38K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
A few months ago we had an issue after starting the vehicle, you could not shift into any gear. It stated on the display that the desired gear was already selected. Shutting off the car and restarting fixed the problem, but it through a check engine light.

The dealer read the code and flashed the drivetrain to the latest version, said come back if it happens again.

Happened again. Had a different dealer read the code this time since I was in the area of that one, wanted to catch it while the light was still on. The DTC was P1DB800 - stored - Unintended Torque Applied while in Neutral.

Haven't found much on this with Google, have a call into my normal dealer. Starting to worry I may get a significant failure at some point. Anyone have experience or knowledge on this one?

#2 ·
Sound more like a transmission valve body or control, where the computer thinks its told the transmission to shift to D, but the transmission only partially complies.. or a sensor is off, not detecting a condition it should be detecting.

So when it goes from a sticky to a hard fault you could be left stranded somewhere.

If you are interested enough and want to spend $35, you can grab a three day pass at techauthority.com and look up what the service manual says about the error. They usually have a decent description and theory of operation, but not always.

#3 ·
I have a 2014 Cherokee that just threw that same code Friday, so I thought I'd join the forum since this is the only Google result I can find with that code.

I've had my car in several times complaining about very hard shifting in/out of first gear, and was going to take it back in this week anyway. Then Friday morning after backing out of a parking space and shifting to drive, the car chimed and the dashboard display said "Shift to Park, then to desired gear." I put it in park, then back to drive -- the car made a loud clunking noise and violently shook. The dashboard started flashing "Service Transmission" and all of the warning lights illuminated.

Long story short, after turning it on/off a couple times I got it so just the malfunction light was on and drove about 3 very rough miles to a nearby dealership. They ran diagnostics that returned five codes, but P1DB800 was the only active one.

Other than that, the dealership was very unfriendly and told me it would be two weeks before they could even look at the car. I'm taking it to the dealership I bought it from tomorrow for service and will update with what we find out.

#5 ·
Mine is at the dealer now. I had to push them to take and keep the car, told them I didn't want to get stuck somewhere and suggested that they check out the code for themselves and call their support team to see if they have any info on it. I'm not sure why they couldn't do that without keeping my car but I have a rental 2016 grand cherokee so it could be worse. We'll see what they say, a little worried that they will just flash it again and apply the recall fix and tell us to come back if it happens again. Hopefully that is not the case. We will see how long it takes them to get back to us I guess.

We have a friend that bought a 2016 and within 100 miles it through transmission errors. They had the car for a month, swapped transmissions and other work and it still has some issues I guess. Hoping that we don't end up down that path, I'm hearing there are many problems with these transmissions.

I have to say, I really like the shifter on the 2016. Seems like that should be the permanent fix that they come out with for all of us with the older crappy one. Just put that shifter in and problem is solved.

#10 ·
Mine is at the dealer now. I had to push them to take and keep the car, told them I didn't want to get stuck somewhere and suggested that they check out the code for themselves and call their support team to see if they have any info on it. I'm not sure why they couldn't do that without keeping my car but I have a rental 2016 grand cherokee so it could be worse. We'll see what they say, a little worried that they will just flash it again and apply the recall fix and tell us to come back if it happens again. Hopefully that is not the case. We will see how long it takes them to get back to us I guess.

We have a friend that bought a 2016 and within 100 miles it through transmission errors. They had the car for a month, swapped transmissions and other work and it still has some issues I guess. Hoping that we don't end up down that path, I'm hearing there are many problems with these transmissions.

I have to say, I really like the shifter on the 2016. Seems like that should be the permanent fix that they come out with for all of us with the older crappy one. Just put that shifter in and problem is solved.
What year is your Jeep? I'd be happy to look into this. Please DM me your VIN, servicing dealer, and contact number. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

#8 ·
BTW, received a voicemail from the dealer today, they said they have a solution for this check engine light. Requires replacing a part, but they did not leave me any details yet as to what part that is and what is going on. When I pick up the vehicle I'll get more information in regards to what was done and post it here.

#9 ·
I think the problems you hear are 9 times out of 10 the V6 transmission which is made to V6 specs somewhere in a USA plant. The V8 and Diesels are made in Europe to higher specs and have been solid performers.

#14 ·
Picked it up, paperwork says:

12359 755-Inspect and diag trans fault P1DB800 found TCM has internal failure order valve body 1003 - replaced transmission valve body and filter. Performed relearn and flashed TCM. Filled with 7.0 qts of ATF. Test drove vehicle. No check engine light and transmission shifts normally.

They also did the recall re-program as well as RRT 16-010 where they replaced the left front axle half shaft.

#16 ·
Dropped it off today, they need to check it out further but my understanding is that they think they will replace the transmission. Apparently the valve body that was replaced is the main serviceable part, if that fails then the next step is to replace the whole assembly which would be the transmission itself.

#17 ·
kpauley, it looks like I am seeing things similar to your issue. My GC (2015 Diesel Limited) is back in the shop for the third time today for transmission issue. The last two times were for the "unintended torque" problem.

When I talk to the service writer about the issue and ask about whether there might be a bigger issue than just me, they talk to me like a politician, with their all-too-familiar denial saying that my case is unique and that they've never seen this issue before in their life.

We'll see what happens today. Considering I have just passed the 10,000 mile mark and this is the fourth time the vehicle has been in for issues in 6 months of ownership, it only validates why I am building my project Jeep.

#23 ·
So the dealership did a full replacement of my transmission, and all problems have been solved. After going through the field service manual with the technician, it looks like the part number has been superceded more than once - meaning, the new transmission that went in is multiple revisions newer than the one they took out. Nothing I'll complain about, the Jeep is going great.

#24 ·
Sorry to bump this thread, but my MIL came on Saturday night and the code scanner read P1DB8 (this is the only thread I could find about it). I am not sure what triggered it. I parked my car and everything was fine. When I tried to remote start 3 hours later, the vehicle wouldn't do so (said it had been disabled). When I turned on the vehicle, the MIL came on and that's when I read the code. Oddly enough, the MIL went away on its own about 24 hours later.

Has anyone else had this code pop up more recently or know what it means? If the light turned off on its own, is it worth the hassle of taking it to the dealership to look at? Sounds like a complete transmission replacement is what I am in for...

#25 ·
Take it in....they'll probably replace the one serviceable part on the transmission first and it may come back in which case you're looking at a replacement. I will say that we've driven the heck out of it since it was replaced and have not had an issue. I did also get the extended warranty though, just in case....

#26 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have a lifetime Maxcare from Chrysler (yes, lifetime), so I will probably take it in to the dealer next week just to put the code on my file in case further problems arise or the MIL comes back on later. I don't like the idea of a transmission replacement on a vehicle with 40k miles, but hey, the engine has already been torn apart and the entire emissions system replaced, so why not the transmission too!? I'll update when I get more info.

#27 ·
I had the lifetime with our last GC, but our new one is a diesel and they don't offer it for that powertrain.

I wouldn't worry too much about if they have to tear into it as long as you have a reasonably good shop. Sounds like they have already been into the vehicle and if they did those things fine you're probably OK :)

#30 ·
Hey guys sorry to bump this old thread, but I think I'm having the same issue...except my shifter lights were all dimmed out...only until I jerked the shifter a few times, was I able to shift into a gear and the lights came back on...but now my check engine light came on...no jerky driving and no other issues...I restarted the car several times and everything feels good thus far, except for the check engine light...anyone else have this issue with the shifter lights being dimmed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.