transmission leak..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Alexandru999
2011 WK 

transmission leak.....

Hey guys

2011 v8 laredo

short story, ricer boy pulls a blind uturn in front of us from parking spot , we t-bone him, his car went to destination fu**ed, jeep suffered some minor passenger side front end dmg, plastic bumper, headlight, etc.... insurance does its job, 6500$ later looks like new from GMC dealer bodyshop approved by my insurance thingy.....

developed a leak a few days after on the accident side, took it back, ruled as a lower radiator hose clamp that was damaged, replaced, no more leak

few months later 4-5, again same spot, same leak pattern - open brown/pink on white napkin, considering the dirt as it slides down on the lower plastic splashguard

took it to GMC body shop again today, they rulled it as leaky trans cool lines (not covered anymore) ..... what i see when i look down:

light wet area around the coolant reservoir
light wet area from mid radiator (radiator side next to coolant reservoir) until down
and as what they showed me with the car mounted up, wet around the metal metal-hose connectors on tranny cool lines

kinda dont get how if the lines were faulty, to get all those areas wet to the look? unless they bleed from top as well, but then how would they 'go' all around there?

checked tranny dipstick while cold/engine shut - sits above the 'add' mark
checked wk2 maintenance, says to check while at operating temp and level should be between the 2 holes where the "HOT" sign is, which it was not, was like 2 fingers down

isnt it supposed to be in between 'add' and 'hot' ?

kinda puzzled by this situation and the whole 'wet' area which faulty tranny cool lines may not do in my opinion ...

leak is sometimes present sometimes NOT ... it comes and goes UHHHHHHHH

sorry for long story, any help would do
i am planning on taking it to jeep to replace the tranny lines and i have the warranty for 1 and half more years - engine tranny electric but doubt that it will cover the lines ....

coolant level always in middle while cold and at FULL when hot, as i know it to be normal, so the rad leaking or not as well ... kinda doubt that

i owned it since December 2016 (former leased - top shape), accident was in Jan 2017

MAIN CONCERN at this moment, is the get a grip around what should be the correct tranny dipstick level at ?! i got my ATF+4 ready to get added

thanks

Alex

Attached Thumbnails
21767753_10155711130830763_2079438854_n.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Oil is magic, gets everywhere. If you get everything cleaned off and look for fresh oils, you may get a better idea where the leak is coming from. I would suspect some fitting or hose did not get tightened properly during the repair, if not damaged during the accident. Many here bypass the OEM cooler with an aftermarket unit. There is a power steering cooler at the base of the radiator that could also be the leak source.

The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. At normal operating temperature (approximately 82 C. or 180 F.), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70 F fluid temperature.

The detailed procedure is:

Start engine and apply parking brake.
Shift the transmission into DRIVE for approximately 2 seconds.
Shift the transmission into REVERSE for approximately 2 seconds.
Shift the transmission into PARK.
Hook up the scan tool and select transmission. Select sensors. Read the transmission temperature value. (I think you can also get at the trans temp in the EVIC)
Compare the fluid temperature value with the chart.
Adjust transmission fluid level shown on the dipstick according to the Transmission Fluid Temperature Chart.
:
Attached Images

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Alexandru999
2011 WK 

thanks, i will check again tomorrow or so as i already added a bit of oil today ... my dip stick doesnt have cross hatched areas, it has 2 holes in the metal where it says HOT and apparently its supposed to be between them

""""NOTE:
If it is necessary to check the transmission below the operating temperature, the fluid level should be between the two COLD (lower) holes on the dipstick with the fluid at approximately 70 F (21 C) (room temperature). If the fluid level is correctly established at room temperature, it should be between the "HOT" (upper) reference holes when the transmission reaches 180F (82C). Remember it is best to check the level at the normal operating temperature."""""

also check the power steering, seems dry for that one, no leaks on lines or wet under it, as it fairly easy to see that one, and level is always on FULL

ill get more into it as im super new to wk2's
had a 97 zj before
, thanks for reply

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM
nhcd538
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission cooler/air conditioning condenser units on these vehicles are known to have poor welds and are known to leak/seep transmission fluid even when a collision is NOT a factor. The combination air conditioning compressor/transmission fluid cooler unit is mounted in front of the radiator and looks just like a radiator itself.

The bump you took could have hastened the process of failure on your condenser/cooler. It's not the lines that leak (your shop probably just assumed it was the lines) it's the welds in the cooling fin area of the cooler/condenser.

Common problem on 2011+ WK2's and Dodge Durangos (like I have). Probably not gonna be covered under your warranty but most likely can be tied into the collision and something the insurance adjuster should have looked for.

I'm guessing this is the source of your leak and I'd fight tooth and nail to make the insurance company pay for the repair - and to address your MAIN CONCERN, any shop that does this repair should be checking to make sure any tranny fluid you lost is properly replaced.

1999 TJ 2.5L AX5 NP231 D35/30 4.11's
*Disclaimer - I've probably had a few beers
post #5 of 6 Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Alexandru999
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcd538 View Post
The transmission cooler/air conditioning condenser units on these vehicles are known to have poor welds and are known to leak/seep transmission fluid even when a collision is NOT a factor. The combination air conditioning compressor/transmission fluid cooler unit is mounted in front of the radiator and looks just like a radiator itself.

The bump you took could have hastened the process of failure on your condenser/cooler. It's not the lines that leak (your shop probably just assumed it was the lines) it's the welds in the cooling fin area of the cooler/condenser.

Common problem on 2011+ WK2's and Dodge Durangos (like I have). Probably not gonna be covered under your warranty but most likely can be tied into the collision and something the insurance adjuster should have looked for.

I'm guessing this is the source of your leak and I'd fight tooth and nail to make the insurance company pay for the repair - and to address your MAIN CONCERN, any shop that does this repair should be checking to make sure any tranny fluid you lost is properly replaced.
appointment was today at the dealership, they did watever inspection they did and said that the transmission cooler lines are the problem... and its covered by warranty, the job total was 470 $ CA , ill be paying around 120-150 due to warranty, not bad, appt for that is in mid Oct.......

never had my veh serviced at the dealership before but since i got this wk2 ive always come to my local one, so far they seemed really fair every time i was there so maybe i found the 'good few' ... last job was rear brakes as i moved recently and i have zero tools here, one caliper was stuck shut, they showed me, and had to buy a new one for the rear but the 2nd rear one they refurbished it free of charge so basically all my rear brakes are spanking new at this point... so far they left a good impression

post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2017, 06:18 PM
nhcd538
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru999 View Post
appointment was today at the dealership, they did watever inspection they did and said that the transmission cooler lines are the problem... and its covered by warranty, the job total was 470 $ CA , ill be paying around 120-150 due to warranty, not bad, appt for that is in mid Oct.......

never had my veh serviced at the dealership before but since i got this wk2 ive always come to my local one, so far they seemed really fair every time i was there so maybe i found the 'good few' ... last job was rear brakes as i moved recently and i have zero tools here, one caliper was stuck shut, they showed me, and had to buy a new one for the rear but the 2nd rear one they refurbished it free of charge so basically all my rear brakes are spanking new at this point... so far they left a good impression

Welp, I'd be interested to know what part they replace. See if you can find out what exactly gets replaced when the time comes. My bet is it's the condenser.

1999 TJ 2.5L AX5 NP231 D35/30 4.11's
*Disclaimer - I've probably had a few beers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.