Transmission Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Issues

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
BREJOLAW

Transmission Issues

Over 2000k miles on JGC Limited w/ Hemi. I have noticed that at lower speeds it goes into gear hard. There is a slam type of situation. I also notice that it shifts at the the higher RPM markings. All and all I am not thrilled with the transmission so far.
Please keep us updated as far as service bulletins and the like. I know there is a know bucking issue at higher speeds.

BREJOLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
isocaine
2010 WK 

I've had similar issue with my V6 2WD.
isocaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
RB145
2014 WK 

2600 Miles

Well I am at 2600 miles on my V6 Limited. Overall I am very impressed with this jeep. It very tight no rattles and the highway ride and handling is excellent, the best I have ever experienced. I do have a couple issues that concern me a litttle. I have noticed with the transmission when you take off from a stop it is usually in second gear before you even get moving which seem to bog down the engine, the other thing when coasting and it drops below 30 a lot of time it shifts or something and puts a very annoying drag on the vehicle. The other thing is when just rolling at about 5mph I sometimes hear a rubbing or a faint squeal from the rear it just lasts a couple seconds. I am going to the dealer on monday for the first oil change. I am going to ask if they have a flash update to improve this trans shifting, although mine was just built at the end of September. Has anyone else noticed any of this and know if there is a fix?
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
Well I am at 2600 miles on my V6 Limited. Overall I am very impressed with this jeep. It very tight no rattles and the highway ride and handling is excellent, the best I have ever experienced. I do have a couple issues that concern me a litttle. I have noticed with the transmission when you take off from a stop it is usually in second gear before you even get moving which seem to bog down the engine, the other thing when coasting and it drops below 30 a lot of time it shifts or something and puts a very annoying drag on the vehicle. The other thing is when just rolling at about 5mph I sometimes hear a rubbing or a faint squeal from the rear it just lasts a couple seconds. I am going to the dealer on monday for the first oil change. I am going to ask if they have a flash update to improve this trans shifting, although mine was just built at the end of September. Has anyone else noticed any of this and know if there is a fix?
I sometimes notice drag too in conditions you described
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I like that sound... it's almost like a resonating hum... when i was piss-poor, and drove my manual, i used to intentionally do this to save gas, lol. That is I would start in 2nd gear at a full stop, or go to 4th or 5th.. when God knows i should be on 3rd or 4th a little longer. Used to annoy the crap out of people.

Anyway, why not just step on the gas a little... don't be scared
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
isocaine
2010 WK 

I've had the exact same issues with my V6 limited that you describe. Unfortunately, it wasn't something I noticed during my test drive before I bought it. I haven't heard if there's a reflash yet. I have contacted Jeep about the problem. They called me back Friday but I missed the call. Hopefully this is just a software issue. Let us know what the dealer says. I'll be taking mine in soon as well. That's the only real problem I've had so far.
isocaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
CJMajesty

Did You find out what jeep had to say.
CJMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
RB145
2014 WK 

After a test drive and inspection they said mine had the most up to date program and is operating normal at this time. As far as the noise I was hearing they also hear it but there is no fix at this time. They compared it others and get the same noise.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

My dad's 2011 GC with a Hemi is having these similar issues. The transmission seems to "catch" on the down shift at 40mph. We took it back to Chrysler and they are replacing the C6 clutch assembly? whatever that is or means i dont know, but it seems like they are just throwing random parts at it. I know my dad hasnt been happy with it, if he could he would give it back to Chrysler in a heartbeat
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
decooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn View Post
My dad's 2011 GC with a Hemi is having these similar issues. The transmission seems to "catch" on the down shift at 40mph. We took it back to Chrysler and they are replacing the C6 clutch assembly? whatever that is or means i dont know, but it seems like they are just throwing random parts at it. I know my dad hasnt been happy with it, if he could he would give it back to Chrysler in a heartbeat

Did they fix it and is your Dad still unhappy with it?
decooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
RonP10

Hmmmm getting nervous about pulling the trigger on a new jeep overland now. Might just wait until jeep works out the issues or how long does it usually take before the kinks are worked out? Mid '11 or should just wait for '12 or '13?
RonP10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you are going to wait for all the bugs and kinks to get worked out, you're going to have a long wait.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Did they fix it and is your Dad still unhappy with it?
They still have it at the shop. Last I heard Chrysler has stepped in and is making the dealership replace valves in the transmission to ensure that this doesn't happen ever again. He's not happy but definitely understands that things happen.
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
RonP10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
If you are going to wait for all the bugs and kinks to get worked out, you're going to have a long wait.
Awww well I'm talking about the major bugs - lol. I know all vehicles have some type of minor issue. I just feel that the tranny is a mojor issue. I can take a few squeks and noises here and there.
RonP10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

I know i might wait till 2012, so i can take a look at the srt8 also and for the bigger bugs to be worked out and for demand to slow
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.