transfer case problems - SERV4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > transfer case problems - SERV4WD

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Jarret
2011 WK 

transfer case problems - SERV4WD

hey guys, just wanted to let all of you know about an issue I'm having with my 2011 WK2, V6, laredo (Quadra Trac II). 23k miles

I started noticing a humming noise when coasting at low speed (2-4mph) in parking lots. It's very easy to hear in a parking garage and a get a slight vibration in my steering wheel. It was kind of an annoyance so I never brought it into the dealer. I also noticed that it would go away if i quickly switched into neutral. My theory was that it had something to do with the drivetrain, but i wasn't 100% sure because it was such a subtle noise.

Then one day I had a "SERV4WD" light come on. I brought it into the dealer 2 days later and they said that they didn't see my computer throw any codes (what? really??!) and that they couldn't replicate the humming noise. I went back to the dealer and got their lead mechanic in the car with me and demonstrated the noise. After another day of them tinkering with it they claimed it was some sort of resonant sound coming from the exhaust and that they would try to fix it. I told them to stop working on it unless something was mechanically wrong and i went and picked it up. I wasn't about to pay for them to tinker with my exhaust to get rid of a cosmetic noise.

About a week later the "SERV4WD" light came on again. This time i left it running and drove it directly to the dealer so they could see the light for themselves. They hooked it up to the computer on the spot and saw it throwing the code. It said something like "transfer case clutch worn". They took it back and gave me a rental car. They said it was probably an electrical issue throwing the code. It's been 10 days now since i dropped it off (waiting on a part) and i got a call today saying that they need to order more parts because there was actually some physical damage inside my transfer case and that they have "never seen this before". I'm supposed to get it back thursday and I'll get more of a story from them to post here and I'll also post what parts they replaced. I plan on talking to the mechanic to find out exactly what failed. Anyway, my guess is that this "humming" noise at low speed is related to the SERV4WD light which is also related to this physical failure. I've seen some other posts complaining of very low speed humming noises so this is your warning: it could be something really bad.

and yes, this is all being covered under warranty.

Jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
pwrdbym

In the history of automotive dealer warranty work, none of them have ever seen your problem before.
Keep us updated.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
chdavis
2012 WK 

Update?
chdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

One of my pet peeves about Internet forums that specialize in motor vehicles. A lot of folks lurk and join and post because they have issues. Then they get their problem or problems fixed, and they don't return for an update.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.