Trans Temp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans Temp?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

Trans Temp?

What temp is everyone's trans running? Mine seems to sit around 170-172, climbing a semi steep grade for only a couple minutes at less than 10 mph. and it climbed to 185.

I looked at a chart in a friends trans shop where it showed intervals for changing fluids based on temp. but not sure due to the fact it was a poster put out by a fluid manufacture.

Had Trans issues with my 01 so I am just trying to avoid them on the 13 I have. v6

dtrkyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
loveracing1988

After driving 70ish miles mostly highway trans temp was at 192. This is a 14 v6 though.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

MY 2014 Summit V8 trans temp reads higher than the 2012 Overland V8. I read somewhere that Chrysler designed it so the 8 speed is more efficient with the hotter trans temp. I just think the 8 speed operates at higher temps than the previous 5/6 speed trans.
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
MY 2014 Summit V8 trans temp reads higher than the 2012 Overland V8. I read somewhere that Chrysler designed it so the 8 speed is more efficient with the hotter trans temp. I just think the 8 speed operates at higher temps thanthe previous 5/6 speed trans.
That is correct. My '12 runs at 150-180. Larger cooler and more fluid. New trannies are made to run hotter.

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

i hover in the 170s even with a 2800lb trailer in the back.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
i hover in the 170s even with a 2800lb trailer in the back.
Same here. I have seen it peak in the low 180s after a long incline with the trailer, but even then the temp recovers pretty quickly after leveling out.
Chris9674T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
fd12me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
MY 2014 Summit V8 trans temp reads higher than the 2012 Overland V8. I read somewhere that Chrysler designed it so the 8 speed is more efficient with the hotter trans temp. I just think the 8 speed operates at higher temps than the previous 5/6 speed trans.

ZF, a german manufacturer makes the 8 speeds, not Chrysler...although these days everything seems to be owned by FIAT... But you are right, the 8 speeds on the '14 run hotter. Mine ran 199 exactly when completely warmed up without skid plates. It ran at 205 with the skids--I thought that was odd, but I suppose logical as the transfer case and tranny heat is reflected back by the heavy steel plates.

I heard somewhere that 1hr or more at 250+ is bad...but then again I also heard, "don't worry about it, I'm on birth control once..."
fd12me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd12me View Post

ZF, a german manufacturer makes the 8 speeds, not Chrysler...although these days everything seems to be owned by FIAT... But you are right, the 8 speeds on the '14 run hotter. Mine ran 199 exactly when completely warmed up without skid plates. It ran at 205 with the skids--I thought that was odd, but I suppose logical as the transfer case and tranny heat is reflected back by the heavy steel plates.

I heard somewhere that 1hr or more at 250+ is bad...but then again I also heard, "don't worry about it, I'm on birth control once..."
Chrysler makes the 8 speed for the v6, and soon they will be making the v8 version also.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.