Trailer Tow Group IV - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Tow Group IV

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
greytlovers
2014 WK 

Trailer Tow Group IV

Hi Folks, I will be needing your help/advice over the next several postings (I like to keep my questions to a single topic). So here is the first: I recently bought a 2014 GC with the Trailer Tow Group IV package. When I asked the service department whether the GC was properly wired for an electric brake controller they said "perhaps, perhaps not." They said GCs with 5.7L engines are but the 3.6L engines may not be. In essence they were telling me that Jeep sells a heavy-duty tow package but doesn't provide the necessary wiring harness to use it! So I ask you, 1) does this make any sense; 2) does this info match with what you know about the wiring; 3) could the dealer be wrong; and 4) what am I missing?

Thanks for your help! (More topics to follow)

greytlovers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
loveracing1988

If you have the factory tow package it is pre wired for a brake controller and it comes with the wiring harness/pigtail to connect to a brake controller. Ours was in a sealed plastic bag in the glove box.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
If you have the factory tow package it is pre wired for a brake controller and it comes with the wiring harness/pigtail to connect to a brake controller. Ours was in a sealed plastic bag in the glove box.
+1 Same here

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
greytlovers
2014 WK 

Thank you! FYI our Tow Group WAS factory installed, and I do remember seeing a plastic bag with a wiring harness inside the glove compartment. Strange, why didn't the dealer know/notice this when I asked about the wiring? So is there a mounting location for the brake controller? It would be nice to operate the unit through the 8.4 Uconnect system; have everything "touch" controlled, don't you think?

Thanks again. More questions to follow
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
lysol
2013 WK 

I have the wiring kit for my '13 as well. I have to buy the brake controller aftermarket (no such thing as an oem one) and use the wiring kit supplied to set it up. mounting is all personal preference.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Since this one has been answered above I will also urge you to search for your questions before posting them. Some may be 2014 only and some may be related to the 2011-2013 line. Doesn't hurt to search just in case there are threads already on a topic.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
greytlovers
2014 WK 

Thank you all for your information and advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.